Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla telling me I have to upgrade/pay for new S75 from S60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

So I ordered a 60D Model S on 10 April before the 60 KWH cutoff, delivery scheduled for 21 July due to my moving situation (currently live in Alaska, Permanent Change of Station move to east coast). Tesla is now telling me that they won't have parts available for the 60D with solid roof, so they are upgrading me to the 75D with glass roof, but that I have to pay the $1500 charge for upgrade.

Super frustrating since I do not need the 75 KWH pack (hence why I ordered the 60). I don't see legally how they can make me pay for an option I don't want or need just because they don't have parts on hand to make the smaller one.

The terms and conditions of the sales agreement state: "The Vehicle Configuration describes the vehicle that you configured and ordered, including pricing."

Also in the terms and conditions: "Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order. Options or features released after you place your order may not be included in your Vehicle." This tells me that Tesla has a right to sell me the 60D or can choose to upgrade to the 75D, but at original price.

Anyone in this boat or have any advice? I'm currently working with the DS, but escalating to his manager.

Thanks for any feedback.

It sounds like you delayed taking delivery due to your moving situation - is that correct? It's not unreasonable for them to not want to hold parts for your order until you're ready to take delivery.

In addition to what you note, the order agreement also states "We may also cancel your order and refund your deposit if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order." That's probably your other option.

It sounds like you delayed taking delivery due to your moving situation - is that correct? It's not unreasonable for them to not want to hold parts for your order until you're ready to take delivery.

In addition to what you note, the order agreement also states "We may also cancel your order and refund your deposit if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order." That's probably your other option.
So I agree that the glass roof became standard and they don't want to hold the aluminum roof. I'm frankly indifferent about the roof.

However, a software limited battery? I don't see how they can't software limit my battery and give me the glass roof for the originally agreed price? I talked at length with them prior to placing the order and they agreed that they could do an April order, July delivery, for the S60. Then a month into the order, they change their mind and tell me I have to pay to upgrade?

Let me see if I understand this correctly. Tesla is offering you a 75D with a glass roof for $1500 more than what you would have paid for a 60D with a sold roof, and you're complaining about it?
Essentially, they are forcing me to get the present price structure S75, which comes with the glass roof. I ordered the S60 because I don't need the extra range.

So I agree that the glass roof became standard and they don't want to hold the aluminum roof. I'm frankly indifferent about the roof.

However, a software limited battery? I don't see how they can't software limit my battery and give me the glass roof for the originally agreed price? I talked at length with them prior to placing the order and they agreed that they could do an April order, July delivery, for the S60. Then a month into the order, they change their mind and tell me I have to pay to upgrade?
I can totally understand your frustration - my only point was that the configuration that was available when you ordered is no longer available & the order agreement you signed allows for cancellation of the order.

My personal experience was that I delayed delivery for several months of my X, due to a move. I knew that price could go up if I chose to delay, that pricing could change and/or features could change. In my email asking for the delay, I acknowledged that that could happen. It's not unreasonable for a business to not want to hold parts for an indefinite period of time.

Hopefully they can work something out for you.

Reactions: dhrivnak
TexasEV, He's leaving Alaska and moving to the east coast.

OP what are they saying the $1500 is for? The solid roof at no additional cost was replaced by the glass roof at no extra cost. If it's the battery going from 60 to 75, why can't they software limit it back to a 60? Are you now getting other things that you haven't mentioned like the power lift gate maybe?

Tesla needs to stop the delayed order delivery option.

Until/unless they get enough real estate to hold cars for up to a month like traditional dealers do, people buying 60-150K vehicles expect to have some say in when they can pick them up. A business person who travels a lot can order a BMW 750li, factory gets it to the dealership, and the customer can pick it up when they get to it.

Tesla requires that you pick it up within I think a week of it being at the service center.

For direct deliveries, they can't just drop a brand new car at an empty house, so scheduling future deliveries seems like the only way to make this happen.

Reactions: StoXto3toY
TexasEV, He's leaving Alaska and moving to the east coast.

OP what are they saying the $1500 is for? The solid roof at no additional cost was replaced by the glass roof at no extra cost. If it's the battery going from 60 to 75, why can't they software limit it back to a 60? Are you now getting other things that you haven't mentioned like the power lift gate maybe?
They are telling me the added cost is for the battery upgrade. I also can't see why the software limit isn't an option. I can't see how the "60" decal for the trunk is such an issue.

I had the PUP, so liftgate was there anyway.

On my X100D, they discontinued the low amp charger, so they added the high amp charger to my X at no added cost. I didn't ask for this upgrade either. I can't see how they aren't just doing the same thing if the battery software limitation is so hard.

• Helpful
Reactions: bakerboy
Y
Are you out your deposit if you cancel? The lack of parts is their problem, not yours. They shouldn't ask you to pay extra for their problem.

This is similar to renting a car and they don't have the model you reserved. They then bump you up for free....which is only right.
Yeah that is my thought. Especially since the S75 doesn't cost them anything extra compared to the S60.

I don't want to cancel since I do want the car... just not for $1500 more than the agreed upon price.

Reactions: croman
Hi all,

So I ordered a 60D Model S on 10 April before the 60 KWH cutoff, delivery scheduled for 21 July due to my moving situation (currently live in Alaska, Permanent Change of Station move to east coast). Tesla is now telling me that they won't have parts available for the 60D with solid roof, so they are upgrading me to the 75D with glass roof, but that I have to pay the $1500 charge for upgrade.

Super frustrating since I do not need the 75 KWH pack (hence why I ordered the 60). I don't see legally how they can make me pay for an option I don't want or need just because they don't have parts on hand to make the smaller one.

The terms and conditions of the sales agreement state: "The Vehicle Configuration describes the vehicle that you configured and ordered, including pricing."

Also in the terms and conditions: "Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order. Options or features released after you place your order may not be included in your Vehicle." This tells me that Tesla has a right to sell me the 60D or can choose to upgrade to the 75D, but at original price.

Anyone in this boat or have any advice? I'm currently working with the DS, but escalating to his manager.

Thanks for any feedback.
Buddy,

Save yourself some aggravation. I had similar situation going from a 70 to 75S. I thought it was unfair. New price boôk and going nowhere with DS and headquarters. I sucked it up and paid extra and was offered 2 years of service free. You are going to love the car and will be very happy you have those extra few mile and 75 on the trunk!

Reactions: Galve2000