Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla telling me I have to upgrade/pay for new S75 from S60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I upgraded my S60D for $2,000 when the upgrade price first dropped. Since then, I just ordered the X100D and I regret getting the upgrade on the S as like you, I don't need two cars with range. It would have been really nice to simply fully charge the 60 everyday. I completely see your position but I wish I was in your position. I want the upgraded seats, the all glass roof (vs. my panoramic) and the power hatch. I hope they waive the fee for you but either way, I think you will be very happy with the car.

Reactions: bonnie
@SteveGrey , I totally understand your frustration - the lack of roof parts is understandable but battery limit should totally be doable. Personally I prefer the solid roof so I'm glad I got my cars when I did, but since you are indifferent, you have some options. My advice would be to see if you can negotiate anything our of the deal (say High Amp charger option, or free service, or something) - only if you get something would you benefit from just paying more, as you may not get something like the power liftgate included today but not when you ordered if you didn't get the PUP option for example. If not, cancel the order and see what happens. Maybe if they think you are willing to talk away, you'll be offered some additional incentive. If not, just order a new one a week or two later, you don't lose anything (unless prices go up during that time of course) but it allowed you to exercise your leverage of canceling the order. And, if you didn't get PUP before, you now get a power liftgate (which was the main reason I paid for PUP on my most recent MS).

That said, I got a 60D as well, haven't really need any extra range in over 4 months, so I didn't jump on it when it was first offered, but eventually caved in and upgraded - if you want to know why, see this post .

Reactions: David29
The bottom line is he ordered the car he wanted...based on their website. Now they can't deliver. No matter the reason, it is NOT his fault. He should be taken care of. Period. At zero cost to him. If they have to upgrade him, it means nothing to Tesla. Far less than $1500 means to the OP. This is not rocket science....this is customer service.

I am starting to reluctantly agree with this view. My hesitation is that the buyers that order and delay delivery are typically gaming the system. I know, my perception, does not apply to everyone, etc. but the stories of those that had delayed orders and got AP1 for free or new features without paying the price increase are around. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose.

Once again, I think Tesla needs to totally remove the delayed delivery option. Or not more than a few weeks. There is no reason for an individual to order now and hold delivery for 3 months. It's a logistical nightmare

What other options were on the OPs car? The 75 and glass roof will help resale. If they didn't have the PUP, they also get the power gate which would also help resale.

The OP is getting a car that will only cost him $1500 more vs $6500 more when he first ordered.

While yes it is kinda crappy Tesla doesn't have the car he wants anymore, by no means is the original purchase a binding contract that Tesla is obliged to fulfill. If anything they should just refund his deposit if they can't provide him the car he wants, then he can order a new 75D for the same cost he would've paid for a 60D.

Does Tesla's nav system know about and avoid these road closures automatically?

As long as Tesla offers a delayed delivery option, then it remains their obligation to provide the car ordered on the date requested. What am I missing here? They are trying to screw the OP. You think he went into this purchase knowing he'd get a free upgrade? What happened to the customer is always right?

Lol. Working in a customer-service profession, i can tell you that is almost never the case. That being said, the purchase agreement is hardly a binding contract.

Nope, they raised the price $1,500 to cover the cost of the glass roof that is now standard. (Which he didn't order.)

So a cancel and reorder should put him in exactly the same situation: paying $1,500 for a glass roof he doesn't want.

But he's getting a 75 upgrade for free then?

As long as Tesla offers a delayed delivery option, then it remains their obligation to provide the car ordered on the date requested. What am I missing here?

Did you miss the part where the order agreement has this disclaimer: "We may also cancel your order and refund your deposit if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order."

Sounds like it fits this situation perfectly.

Nope, they raised the price $1,500 to cover the cost of the glass roof that is now standard. (Which he didn't order.)

So a cancel and reorder should put him in exactly the same situation: paying $1,500 for a glass roof he doesn't want.

You mentioned that you ordered a car with PUP. Cancel your order. Order a new one without it. You're now net positive with a free glass roof and a power hatch which is the only or most useful thing in the PUP package. Am I wrong here?

• Helpful
Reactions: EarlyAdopter
I am starting to reluctantly agree with this view. My hesitation is that the buyers that order and delay delivery are typically gaming the system. I know, my perception, does not apply to everyone, etc. but the stories of those that had delayed orders and got AP1 for free or new features without paying the price increase are around. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose.

Once again, I think Tesla needs to totally remove the delayed delivery option. Or not more than a few weeks. There is no reason for an individual to order now and hold delivery for 3 months. It's a logistical nightmare

What other options were on the OPs car? The 75 and glass roof will help resale. If they didn't have the PUP, they also get the power gate which would also help resale.
I understand that there are people who game the system. However, I spoke with Tesla reps for months prior to placing the order to make sure my timeline would work. My timeline is pretty specific due to my move from Alaska to Florida, which is the main reason I went new instead of used on the S. the Tesla reps are starting to sound like used car salesmen with their logic and rationalizing.

You mentioned that you ordered a car with PUP. Cancel your order. Order a new one without it. You're now net positive with a free glass roof and a power hatch which is the only or most useful thing in the PUP package. Am I wrong here?
This is excellent feedback, I really appreciate it. If I can't get some manner of decent resolution (don't see how hard a software limited 60 is for a company that can make FSD work), I will probably do the no PUP option.

This is excellent feedback, I really appreciate it. If I can't get some manner of decent resolution (don't see how hard a software limited 60 is for a company that can make FSD work), I will probably do the no PUP option.
The DS and the local manager have little latitude in pricing or options. You must talk to someone in California or at the very least the regional manager.

I speak from experience - my car was built three times and over the course of six months many pricing and options changed. I was made whole and am very happy.

You just need to talk to the right person.

The DS and the local manager have little latitude in pricing or options. You must talk to someone in California or at the very least the regional manager.

This is one of those benefits of dealerships, they actually have real latitude in making decisions, because they have a local budget. With Tesla it is a giant bureaucracy that leaves their store staff in the unenviable positioning of having to explain and rationalize whatever command of the day comes from the (regional) HQ.

@SteveGray 's position is actually one that in normal conditions on TMC everyone would agree with. He is not asking for anything more than the car he ordered at the price he ordered it at. In all the long threads about product changes, this has been the constant where everyone has agreed as a baseline...

Now, when Tesla wants to not fulfill this part of the deal, some people are seeking legal and moral ways out for Tesla. Unbelievable. Well not really, that is just me feigning disbelief - I know some people really do think Tesla can do no wrong.

Customer may not always be right, but the moral of that sentiment isn't that they are always right - but that they should be made feel that way in all normal and reasonable circumstances. This is one of those normal and reasonable circumstances. The company can't deliver the product as ordered, so they deliver a better product at no cost to the buyer. There should be no question about this.

I would get it if the price delta was unreasonable - say a million dollars for the company, or having to give a Model S to a Model 3 orderer - but in all normal and reasonable circumstances this logic applies. Only in unreasonable situations should order cancellation or asking for extra be an option. This is definitely not one of those, given that the money they ask for is for hardware (the 75 kWh battery) that was always going to be in the car.

Legally, Tesla may well be in their power to cancel this order if the customer does not agree. Morally, I think they are way wrong even for asking about this, let alone forcing the customer's hand... But then, Tesla's ethics have been lost for ages now...

Last edited:
Did you miss the part where the order agreement has this disclaimer: "We may also cancel your order and refund your deposit if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order."

Sounds like it fits this situation perfectly.

Sure, Tesla could cancel the order under that clause. The issue, as always, is customer experience and communication. And Tesla is not providing a customer experience here that goes above and beyond here. The company told OP that the upgrade would come at no cost to him, only to rescind that offer 2 weeks later (and reading between the lines, OP found out by being send the invoice, could be wrong here). That right there is already where Tesla should recognize : we made a mistake and we will do anything reasonable to make it right. And not charging that $1500 is a very reasonable thing to do for a company that wants to provide a customer experience that is as far away from regular dealership practices as possible.

Parts availability nor the logicistical issues associated with delayed delivery are valid excuses. Tesla is a multi-billion company with grown-ups in charge. If it doesn't want to keep certain parts on back order it should say so up front when agreeing to delayed delivery, not one month later when it finds out that it made a promise it can't keep.

Parts availability nor the logicistical issues associated with delayed delivery are valid excuses. Tesla is a multi-billion company with grown-ups in charge. If it doesn't want to keep certain parts on back order it should say so up front when agreeing to delayed delivery, not one month later when it finds out that it made a promise it can't keep.

Indeed. This part here is why this thread is SO easy and this issue should never have happened in the first place. It is absolutely normal and good business practice to replace a lesser product with a better one if you fail to deliver the lesser one or if the product changes while the delivery is being fulfilled, you deliver the closest possible (better) product at the same (or cheaper) price and customer decides if they can accept that. The higher-end, more premium the experience = more normal this is. A budget hotel might refuse a customer if they oversold the rooms, but definitely not a premium hotel, they would just upgrade you to a mini suite or whatever at no extra cost and take the goodwill instead.

And by asking for a mere $1,500 for a battery that was always going to be in the car (75 kWh), Tesla also took away their only excuse in my books: an unreasonable situation for the seller. No way can $1,500 be considered unreasonable for Tesla at a purchase of this size, especially while the hardware going in the car - that money is being asked for - costs the same for them.

I am hoping at least the public pressure here leads to Tesla correcting this crude mistake. I just wonder how many people have ended up paying silently...

Tesla is making it so hard to like them these days.