Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla telling me I have to upgrade/pay for new S75 from S60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. Tesla is constantly improving their products. The software downgrade may be incompatible with hardware updates or because of other perceived risks (new car with old software).

What I referred to with the bureaucracy is that the sales and service people at Tesla have unbelievably little power over anything. Everything has to be referred out there somewhere, to the HQ or somewhere. Decisions are distant and lack of flexibility a common result of such bureaucracy...

I'm pretty sure I have seen at least a couple other people report that Tesla was unable to build their metal roof car because of parts availability;

I hope that's not the case otherwise roof damage would be irreparable. (Generally it is expensive, but not always a total loss. I know one guy who's roof needed fixing after some idiots walked over the roofs of a line of parked cars :mad: )

I hope that's not the case otherwise roof damage would be irreparable.

Just because Tesla can't build them doesn't mean they aren't repairable. It is likely that Tesla is changing the production line to optimize it for the all glass, and sunroof, options such that the line isn't capable of making metal roof cars anymore. (It sounds like they are making that change in June.)

He ordered it mid April and is getting the car in July. Three months. 90 days. Totally normal.

Your comparison to suggest he's being unreasonable is to compare what he's doing to ordering a Porsche and asking for a 12 month lead time and a model year change at no charge???

People love defending tesla. :)

P. S. Where is the return key on my keyboard?

90 days is reasonable unless if falls between model years. Also, 90 days is 3x the normal delivery time in the US (where the OP is) while 90 days for custom orders from other manufacturers is actually quicker than normal turnaround, so you cannot compare directly. The issue here is that Tesla "model years" change at unannounced intervals. 60 being discontinued is like a model year change. Actually, historically Tesla has honored pricing changes for delayed orders, the only time people have hit an issue was if a product was being discontinued, hence my suggestion to follow other industries and give people with orders notice and change to take delivery of what they ordered, or move to the new product.

People love defending tesla. :)
If you are suggesting I am only saying this to defend Tesla, you are incorrect. I'm just stating my opinion, that Tesla made a mistake, just not what most people suggest the mistake was. I do have other bones to pick with Tesla, but those are outside the scope of this thread. :)

Well, I get it that this varies country to country, region to region, but I guarantee you - in much of the world deciding on the delivery time upon order of a car - and locking in price and features - a few months ahead is normal fare. There is nothing abnormal about this. The guy ordered in April for a July delivery.
Ok, you are right mentioning regions since you need to account for those. The OP is in the united states, where typical delivery is 30 days. He's in Alaska, so maybe up to 45 days? 90 day then would be 2-3x the normal delivery time. Now apply that multiplier to other regions, how long does a typical custom order take, multiply that by 2 or 3 and see whether you the manufacturer is still willing to accept it.

In Europe the only way most people buy premium cars is custom order and much of the time those cars come to replace a current car on lease, it isn't abnormal to agree on a delivery even nine months into the future - so that the factory has time to guarantee the car is ready on time for the lease period. They may (and often do) build it ahead of time and then the car sits in a holding area (perhaps an area in the docks) waiting the agreed upon delivery time, until being moved to the dealership closer to the sale.

What Tesla could have done is build his 60 around the last day those were being built (they had the order in their system, after all, so they could plan for it) and shipped it to the store near the delivery date.

Not sure how this works in Europe, but I seriously doubt Porsche would let me order a custom car and store it for me for months before shipping it, while only charging me $2,500 deposit with an option to cancel and only foregoing the deposit. Actually, if I recall correctly, on my custom order Porsche took a deposit (more than $2,500 too) but also the contract did include language of additional money owed if I choose to cancel (I think it had something to do with what they manage to sell it for if I cancel). I remember that specifically because the dealer was counseling me what options I should pick so that if I cancel they will be able to sell it for more - they were strongly discouraging me from removing the the sunroof (which actually costed more than leaving it in). I did remove it by the way - if I'm going to custom order a $100K car, I want it to come as I like it. I removed the red calipers from my Model S order as well, which is why I'm mentioning it, if I delayed the delivery of my P85D and then P90D came, if Tesla just storing my P85D they would have lost more than $2,500 if I cancelled since it has no pano or red calipers or 21" wheels - so much smaller market for such a high end car without those features.

hence my suggestion to follow other industries and give people with orders notice and change to take delivery of what they ordered, or move to the new product.

Which the OP said Tesla did do. He could take delivery in June as ordered or he could keep the original delayed delivery date but would have to pay more for what is available then.

@whitex isn't this more a sign of the uncertainty that Tesla have brought to the table with the lack of model years.

Having been stung somewhat on buying a pre-AP car that took >14 months from deposit to delivery only to be superseded within a month, it's not a great feeling getting offloaded with old stock. But from a less selfish POV if others get the benefit of better than expected FOC, Tesla can be seen to be somewhat balanced.

If they are to continue this CI strategy, they need to keep winning on some, losing on others. Pushing all the risk onto customers for their own gains will IMO lead to poor perception (certainty is an important aspect of purchasing.)

Personally if I were to buy another Tesla it would be inventory, so I knew exactly what I was buying. If it was post a change in line up (say the face lift or a larger battery, and I was buying a previous model I'd also expect a significant discount).

The CI model can work. You issue was that something newer came, not that you couldn't get what you want. Tesla also has historically honored the pricing of delayed cars as long as the car was still available. There are threads on TMC how to game this system to get more for less by the way. In this case the product was being discontinued, so the mistake Tesla made was not inform the customer prior to discontinuing the product to give him a chance to take delivery of the old one, or maybe even just buy it right there and then but pay Tesla to store it for however many months he wants.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
@whitex 30 days is optimistic for a Tesla delivery, though. April is start of quarter when Tesla builds cars for international deliveries. Realistically, it could well have been a June delivery even in the optimal circumstances. This selecting July as the delivery option on ordering (that Tesla offered!) hardly seems like a big ask... We are talking about a 30 day delay from optimal...

As for how would a Porsche dealer handle a custom order there I have no idea. But it would seem odd to me for them to demand taking delivery at a precise time, given the long lead times for custom orders. A 30 day delay does not sound impossibly long, given the unpredictability of the order fulfillment time...

As for deposits/costs for cancelled orders, reasonable ones are perfectly fair of course.

Which the OP said Tesla did do. He could take delivery in June as ordered or he could keep the original delayed delivery date but would have to pay more for what is available then.

Actually, OP ordered for July delivery.

There was no change or delay.

Tesla seems to be refusing to honor an order made in Design Studio and later confirmed by a Tesla rep also, according to OPs retelling.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Actually, OP ordered for July delivery.

There was no change or delay.

Tesla seems to be refusing to honor an order made in Design Studio and later confirmed by a Tesla rep also, according to OPs retelling.

You're misunderstanding what the person you replied to wrote: the July delivery is what he's referring to as a delayed delivery. It isn't _really_ a delayed delivery, it's a "delayed production".

This is one of those benefits of dealerships, they actually have real latitude in making decisions, because they have a local budget. With Tesla it is a giant bureaucracy that leaves their store staff in the unenviable positioning of having to explain and rationalize whatever command of the day comes from the (regional) HQ.
Latitude, yes. Obligation, NONE! I once made a deal and put a deposit on a car that was in transit to a Toyota dealer. It was supposed arrive in a couple of weeks. The very next day I got a call saying they can sell it for more, so unless I fork over another $2,500, they will just return my deposit and cancel the sale. I actually called a lawyer about this, and found out that until the actual delivery, the dealer is obligated to absolutely nothing - they can just refund your deposit and cancel the deal. On the flip side, if I was to cancel, it turns out that (at least in WA state) the dealer can sue me for the entire agreed upon purchase price of the car. The lawyer said they probably wouldn't, but they can, but I could not sue for them not honoring the deal. Is this really the type of experience you crave from Tesla?

Latitude, yes. Obligation, NONE! I once made a deal and put a deposit on a car that was in transit to a Toyota dealer. It was supposed arrive in a couple of weeks. The very next day I got a call saying they can sell it for more, so unless I fork over another $2,500, they will just return my deposit and cancel the sale. I actually called a lawyer about this, and found out that until the actual delivery, the dealer is obligated to absolutely nothing - they can just refund your deposit and cancel the deal. On the flip side, if I was to cancel, it turns out that (at least in WA state) the dealer can sue me for the entire agreed upon purchase price of the car. The lawyer said they probably wouldn't, but they can, but I could not sue for them not honoring the deal. Is this really the type of experience you crave from Tesla?

Apparently it is what OP is getting from Tesla.

Apparently it is what OP is getting from Tesla.
Not at all. Completely different situation. Customer ordered a product that was being discontinued, and apparently they offered him the product just earlier than usual. It's not like Tesla called him that someone else is willing to pay more for his ordered car, so he needs to either pay more for the exact same car or start from scratch.

Not at all. Completely different situation. Customer ordered a product that was being discontinued, and apparently they offered him the product just earlier than usual. It's not like Tesla called him that someone else is willing to pay more for his ordered car, so he needs to either pay more for the exact same car or start from scratch.

I answered your question by nothing the lack of ethics in both cases. I'd support neither.

Just because Tesla can't build them doesn't mean they aren't repairable. It is likely that Tesla is changing the production line to optimize it for the all glass, and sunroof, options such that the line isn't capable of making metal roof cars anymore. (It sounds like they are making that change in June.)

@MP3Mike, I hope it is just production line optimisation, and Tesla haven't decided to just stop pressing the metal work. My own experience (and this is a minor one*) is that once parts stop being built in current cars, unless they are really commonly repaired parts they are a real job to get hold of, as Tesla don't seem to carry much back inventory.

* My sun visors needed changing, and the roof lining shape doesn't match. Short of Tesla swapping the roof lining to match the newer design of the sun visors, I am just putting up with it.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
And let us not forget: OP ordered the 60 in April, selecting a July delivery from the available options on Tesla's ordering system.

OP is buying a 100D at the same time, so he is getting that anyway.

Tesla is messing with a good customer here.

Well, since you're getting the personal life-time supercharging option with the 100D purchase, perhaps, you'd like to have the personal life-time supercharging put in another's name, spouse, kid, etc... Just attempting to make some lemonade out of lemons...

• Funny
Reactions: AnxietyRanger