Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla telling me I have to upgrade/pay for new S75 from S60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Originally they were the same and it was just a software update, but later on Tesla changed the hardware for the 48A version. So now the upgrade from 48A to 72A actually requires swapping out the charger.
When did that change, and is there a way to check which one a particular car has? Also, 40 to 80 upgrade is hardware, but that doesn't stop it from being listed in the Tesla online store. 48 to 72 is not listed. Any ideas why?

Btw, 40 to 80 is called dual charger because they literally add a second 40A charger. I wonder whether they've gone to 24A chargers instead of 40A, so now you get 2 or 3. That would explain why the base went up from 40 to 48 and max went down from 80 to 72 - granularity of charger capabilities.

Last edited:
When did that change, and is there a way to check which one a particular car has? Also, 40 to 80 upgrade is hardware, but that doesn't stop it from being listed in the Tesla online store. 48 to 72 is not listed. Any ideas why?
The 40 to 80A "upgrade" on the Model S built until last year is adding a second or dual charger. There is no post-build upgrade path from 48A to 72A chargers. They're different units, it's not like adding something to the 48A.

From what I can tell it changed really early. You can read about people doing the upgrade both as hardware and software in this thread: Upgrading from 48 to 72a charging??

There is no post-build upgrade path from 48A to 72A chargers. They're different units, it's not like adding something to the 48A.

Are you sure? We have documented cases of people getting the 48A charger replaced with a 72A charger after the fact. (See: Upgrading from 48 to 72a charging??)

Maybe Tesla won't do it anymore, or maybe it is like some other things not listed as available, but you can ask and get it done if your SC is nice.

The 40 to 80A "upgrade" on the Model S built until last year is adding a second or dual charger.

The exception is UK (maybe other territories). All cars had dual units, but the rate is limited in software.

Given @andrewket 's explanation of the difference between 48A and 72A units (3 vs 2 boards) I'd not be surprised if this is still true given the amount of 3 phase power in Europe.