TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla/Telstra internet radio in Australia - options ? experiences ?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by istevens, Aug 4, 2015.

1. istevens

istevens Member

Hi all ... another question, if I may ...

Since driving my S85 (2 months now), I've become a bit addicted to the better sound quality of internet radio (specifically Rdio) over normal FM radio stations. It would be nice to have more features though. So ...

Is it worth paying the subscription to upgrade Rdio ?

Supplemental question ... is it possible to access other internet radio services via MS/Telstra in Australia, e.g. Spotify ?

Thanks as always

Ian

2. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

I have left the Rdio app logged in with the default Tesla account but I have logged into TuneIn with my personal account so I can use my phone to search for radio stations an save them as favourites. This makes them easier to fund through the Tesla Media interface.

3. lennier

lennier Member

No point at the moment in getting a premium RDIO account. The current app in the Tesla takes no notice of that so you still don't get any of the premium features. I've found posts going back almost 2 years from the RDIO people saying they were going to fix that but to my knowledge nothing has changed. Getting other services such as Spotify are similarly at the mercy of the developer to create an app for the Tesla environment, and get the agreements in place for them to install it etc.

4. Adapptor

Adapptor Member

After using Rdio religiously for the first 3-4 months I recently switched to using Spotify from my phone. Sound quality is just as good and you can still control from the Tesla interface.

5. lennier

lennier Member

That's a pretty good option as long as you have enough data in your phone plan. Might try that tomorrow on the way to Dinner Plain :)

6. timpoo

timpoo Member

I have to disagree there :p

Bluetooth transmission is capped at 64kbps or thereabouts, and Rdio comes through at something like 256kbps, so there would be a big difference in sound quality. You have to turn it up to hear it though.

7. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

Oh for a properly functional Rdio, Spotify or Apple Music app:mad:

8. istevens

istevens Member

thanks everyone and amen to @doctorwho who summed it up perfectly ... I guess I will simply deal with what I have for now ... Rdio is still great compared to what most have access to, so I can't *sigh* too much ... :)