Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Test-drive Volunteers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people want to test drive a vehicle before purchase. It’s a major investment. The lack of test-drive availability will turn away most non-tesla/EV enthusiast prospects. Tesla should do the following:

1. On their website, allow Tesla owners to register to volunteer to be a “Test-drive Volunteer.”
    1. Need to own a current Tesla
    2. Need to be the registered owner of the vehicle
    3. Need to be over 25yrs old
    4. Need Proof of insurance
    5. Waiver signature
    6. Define test-drive availability times
  2. Place a “Test Drive a <Tesla model>“ button on the model’s product page of the Tesla website.
  3. Upon pressing the button, request the postal code of the requester and direct them to a list of “Test-drive Locations” in their area. This will be a list of all pre-qualified Tesla owner test-drive volunteers’ locations and associated Tesla vehicles. A list item would include:
    1. Location (just town/city, state)
    2. Vehicle Model and Year
    3. Test-drive Experience Reviews (from previous participants)
      1. Reviewer Comments
    4. Availability times
    5. Contact form (no personal info)
      1. Name
      2. Email
      3. Interested Tesla Model
      4. Requester Comments
  4. Upon submitting the contact form, a formatted email would be sent to the “Test-drive Volunteer”:
    1. Subject: “You have Received a Request for a Tesla Test-Drive”
    2. Body: form data
  5. The volunteer and requester then communicate schedules/meeting place, etc (this part could use an online scheduling tool such as teamup.com)
  6. Upon the completion of a test drive, the volunteer directs the requester to give a review of the experience and provides a “test-driver number”
  7. If the requester purchases a Tesla, there is an option to enter the “test-driver number” during the purchase process so that the volunteer can get some “loot” of their choice (ie: free super-charging, rims, wall charger, etc)

That would only work if Tesla offers primary comprehensive insurance in case one of the test drivers cracks up an owner's car (which would definitely happen). If the owner's insurance company finds out about this "give test drives to strangers" deal, they could potentially deny any claim as a commercial endeavor.

And if Tesla does offer primary insurance, is that setting up the owner as a legal agent/representative of Tesla? That has its own host of legal issues as well which I'm sure Tesla does not want to assume.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSonnentag
Yeah, from a liability/insurance perspective, I wouldn't let a stranger drive my car. However, I would let them check it out, sit in it, and I would be willing to give them a ride. It would basically be like the National Drive Electric Week events. I also host solar "open house" events to demo solar for interested folks as part of the National Solar Tour and as a volunteer with Solar United Neighbors. I love talking to interested people about EVs and solar, but I'd draw the line at someone I don't know driving my car. Just my .02...

Yes, the liability and insurance is an issue. I do think most would be satisfied with being a passenger avoiding both of those problems.

They need to do something about this issue that's not time consuming, complicated and expensive to implement. It also needs to be a concept the average Joe is familiar with. I think my idea satisfies those conditions.

We share cars with our nearby daughter and her husband. They always have one of our cars - Tesla Model S or Hyundai Sonata- in their driveway. They also have their own minivan. In return they split expenses.

At first we were going to add them to our insurance policy. Instead our agent added a third-party driver feature to the policy. Suspect it was developed for these situations. Would also cover demo use.

I did earn a referral bonus last fall. A friend was undecided about whether to buy a Tesla, or which model. He came over one Sunday. Drove my wife’s 3. We ended at daughter’s house. Drove the S since it was there.

He decided on LR 3 D.

The referral HPWC will be installed at the condo our other daughter and her fiancée are buying in DC.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I let any reasonable person drive my cars as long as I'm with them. My biggest worry is for my safety, the car can be replaced. And if they are a normal driver, they are extra alert and aware while driving someone else's car. Besides, insurance policies cover this kind of incidental use.

Now the people who want Tesla to fail will point to a small subset of policies in which maybe the insurance company would put up a fight but reasonable people know what their policies cover. As long as one is not accepting payment for use of the car, it's been covered on every policy I've ever had.

Nobody would have thought twice about this before the world was made to seem all scary by those who want to isolate, neuter, weaken and destroy the common man.

Reactions: Russell
I did earn a referral bonus last fall. A friend was undecided about whether to buy a Tesla, or which model. He came over one Sunday. Drove my wife’s 3. We ended at daughter’s house. Drove the S since it was there.

He decided on LR 3 D.

The referral HPWC will be installed at the condo our other daughter and her fiancée are buying in DC.

Wait! He drove, not one, but two of your families Tesla's and it wasn't a nightmare? And you got a free High-Powered Wall Connector out of the experience?

Imagine that!

There isn’t a lawyer on the planet who would sign off on this from Tesla’s side.

If Tesla want to sell cars they need to offer test drives. Plain and simple.
Did Tesla say they would not offer test drives? (I don't recall reading that anywhere although everybody seems to have jumped to that conclusion.)
They said they are closing stores and expanding delivery and service centers.
They could offer test drives out of the delivery and service centers.

Did Tesla say they would not offer test drives? (I don't recall reading that anywhere although everybody seems to have jumped to that conclusion.)
They said they are closing stores and expanding delivery and service centers.
They could offer test drives out of the delivery and service centers.

Tesla did not say no test drive. But, Tesla said 83% of model 3 buyers didn't have a test drive, starts to offer 7days/1000miles return policy and will soon lay off workforce from showrooms where buyer used to request a test drive from.

Tesla did not say no test drive. But, Tesla said 83% of model 3 buyers didn't have a test drive, starts to offer 7days/1000miles return policy and will soon lay off workforce from showrooms where buyer used to request a test drive from.
So Delivery and Service Centers could easily offer test drives to people who want them. I've been given loaners when my car was in for service. It's a simple process. Delivery centers also have people trained to give an orientation to the car.
When I think back on the new cars I've bought, the test drives have been perfunctory and didn't tell me much. About half the time, I didn't even take a test drive. I think this is a non issue.

So Delivery and Service Centers could easily offer test drives to people who want them. I've been given loaners when my car was in for service. It's a simple process. Delivery centers also have people trained to give an orientation to the car.
When I think back on the new cars I've bought, the test drives have been perfunctory and didn't tell me much. About half the time, I didn't even take a test drive. I think this is a non issue.

yes they could. But the problem is Tesla has not spoken up for it. People start making assumptions which create the uncertainty. Look at another thread, SPINOFF: Did you test drive a Tesla before buying yours? ,then you will see how a test drive can seal or break a deal for the majority.

yes they could. But the problem is Tesla has not spoken up for it. People start making assumptions which create the uncertainty. Look at another thread, SPINOFF: Did you test drive a Tesla before buying yours? ,then you will see how a test drive can seal or break a deal for the majority.
It would be useful to cut down on speculation and panic if Tesla would clarify whether or not test drives will be offered.

I had always thought that their marketing approach was brilliant. Save the money on advertising and offer test drives. Tesla should continue to encourage test drives to the fullest, even for looky-lou's. There are very few who are not thoroughly impressed (especially in a performance model) to the almost otherworldly experience of the precise, powerful and quiet drive train and otherwise awesome technology.. There is nothing else like it.

I have encouraged many Tesla "virgins" if they are looking for a cheap and fun date to go to the showroom for a test drive. Consider it like a educational Disneyland kind of date with free rides. Even if they do not buy, how many friends and family will be told of the experience with, "hey, you got at least try one of these things and peek into the future"!