Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Test Drives: AP2 or AP1 Cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back when I test drove in mid October 2016 I drove an AP1 car. When I purchased it was upgraded to an AP2. Not complaining about that, but I see a lot of new owners asking why AP2 isn't up to par with AP1. If someone goes in for a test drive today, are they driving AP1 or AP2 cars? I would think that Tesla would want to put the customer in a car that is the closest to what they would purchase, but I am also aware that they would want to give the prospective customer the best experience and right now that is AP1. Has anyone had a test drive in the past few weeks that can comment? Thanks!

I recently received an email invite to a test drive event in Mammoth Lakes that specifically mentioned the chance to sample the latest performance models and "latest autopilot", so I have a sense that the inventory/demo cars the stores are using are starting to shift over to AP2, or at minimum they have a few available to offer a realistic indication of today's reality if someone asks.

Reactions: mikerathbun
Funny, that...I took a test drive three hours ago. AP1 cars have been sold and all they have are AP2. And, the same explanation as JDiv said. In particular, "Autopilot will only work up to 55 MPH, and that's an unsafe speed on the freeway". Strange and funny, but, this is southern California, so I had to agree. We will go back sometime in the future.

We were in the store trolling for Model 3 information, and I came away with the impression that some of us may have our car before the store does.