Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla (the company) killing itself slowly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an MS for 2.5 years - solid good experiences with customer service for the most part.

Out of country and my wife finds that the MCU is totally gone. Calls roadside, they say that as the vehicle is able to be moved book it into a service center. Important to know that at this point the car has no sensors, no navigation, no backup camera, no user profiles and no A/C or even fan!

Service is booked online (chat is never present on the website) and it schedules Ranger - had to select Other as there is no "most of my car does not work" option. Still 8 days out.

I try to reach a human at Tesla to say this unacceptable - all routes lead to an IVR which directs to website and claims of the elusive "chat with expert".

Call roadside again, no dice.

Thursday get text to say Ranger canceled as they cannot deal with the issue, booked into service center (presumably at the cost of 5 days delay). Now scheduled for Tuesday at 11am (today).

I return the following Sunday - car has not been used due to close to 100 degrees - with no air circulation let alone all the other concerns about driving a crippled car. Car is in deep sleep, will not wake up - after two hours of messing around call roadside who agree to tow. I open the driver's door ... and it wakes up. Call roadside - yes they will tow, but at my cost. Okay leave it - I'll hope it drives okay on Tuesday.

Tuesday. Car takes ages to wake up. Back out of garage, need to get out to close door as no control from car obviously. Car goes to sleep again in the minute or so I am out.

Dive straight to Tesla. Suggestions I am not going to get a loaner as others are ahead in the queue today. First sign of old Tesla when I relate the whole story and they at least find me an old MS to drive.

Waiting for update.

Very unhappy. There should be a way that an essentially undrivable car gets priority - I am sure a human would prioritize, but you can no longer reach them. So much for ensuring that service levels remain the same as the company scales up.

Wife says cancel Model Y deposit, and find something from elsewhere next year.

Rant over.

Make that step one. And be nice about and they will prioritize a person there in person with the MCU out.

All well and good, but that should be offered by Roadside - not the FU attitude I and my wife got on three calls. Had I been in the country I would almost certainly have done that, but my wife was not comfortable doing that as she did not want to drive the car in it's partially operable state.

I mean what else does not work without the MCU?

We bought the car specifically for it's safety features as my wife has had seizures and while on medication still wants as much as possible to know the car is looking out for her too. Does forward collision warning work (I believe not, as I tried to test it in a safe way on the way to the SC), and of course there's the simple issue of other sensors. I cannot be certain, but it felt like the air suspension was riding at it's lowest as well - just more indication that things are not as they should be.

And I wonder what the insurance situation is too, given that is underwritten with functional expectations of AP, safety systems, etc - what happens if you are driving a car with half a brain - it's the techie version of driving impaired (sort of).

Unfortunately, many will say your experience is unlike theirs, yet there are a sizeable number here who regularly sound the alarm. Elon has decided that your car is an app, and if it fails after you download it, sorry, you bought the hype. Get in line. Yes, this will sink this company. I do not see how they can possible catch up with good customer service and easily available local service centers now that they are fielding too many cars and bleeding too much cash ($700 million last quarter). This company arrogantly believes that people of means will suck it up. Once VW, Honda, Toyota capture the middle income soccer moms and MB/Audi the monied types with the expectation of basic customer service, Tesla is done.

Make that step one. And be nice about and they will prioritize a person there in person with the MCU out.
Based on my own experience, I agree this is always the first step to resolve. Unfortunately, I have little faith in Tesla's responsiveness (or ability to persuade them) via phone or web these days. Nor do l believe their rangers will remedy problems in a timely fashion, except for smaller repair items.

Elon has decided that your car is an app, and if it fails after you download it, sorry, you bought the hype.
Probably like numerous people on here, for me, Tesla has shown me that electric cars can be a viable option as a daily driver and as a performance vehicle. But owning one has also shown me the dark side of the company that continues a downward spiral and also highlighted the fact that these cars are really not very well made at all for the price you pay.
I would not for one second consider buying a new Tesla, but I would certainly look at other established EV alternatives now the competition floodgates appear to be finally opening. EV's will only get better, I just don't see Tesla being part of that group any time soon if recent trends are anything to go by.

Still around after this many years and there not going anywhere. They don't operate like old school oem so why expect them to? This bs about tesla failing is so dumb and pointless. Now if you experience some poor customer service then I agree they need to fix your issues but as all of us know the service centers are almost all overwhelmed. I know it's not an excuse but it's the reality.

File a question (if it isn't too late) for tomorrow's Quarterly meeting about plans to add more support and service personnel.
To what end? He addressed it off the top of the previous quarterly meeting stating he knew of the issue & assured everyone that addressing it was a priority. Nothing changed. If anything, it got even worse since that lip service. I seem to recall him saying something similar the previous quarter too even if not as specific & direct.

Face it, we're replacing one set if greedy companies for another. The motivations May differ but the results are similar... Or perhaps even worse.

But hey, the silver lining is that once nobody can drive their vehicle (EV or otherwise) we'll really be selling the earth!

Still around after this many years and there not going anywhere. They don't operate like old school oem so why expect them to? This bs about tesla failing is so dumb and pointless. Now if you experience some poor customer service then I agree they need to fix your issues but as all of us know the service centers are almost all overwhelmed. I know it's not an excuse but it's the reality.

So if they operate differently from other companies, that's somehow an excuse in this situation? Are we expecting too much by asking for reasonable repair times, loaners and decent treatment? You're stating pure nonsense to the point that I am amazed.

to the op: I gave up on buying a new Tesla because of similar service experiences I had. Saving money for the e-tron GT and hoping it won't be a screw up like their first e-tron.

Face it, we're replacing one set if greedy companies for another. The motivations May differ but the results are similar... Or perhaps even worse.

But hey, the silver lining is that once nobody can drive their vehicle (EV or otherwise) we'll really be selling the earth!

This! I usually never agree with you somehow, but this is exactly it. Well said.

This is the kind of thing that frightens me about ownership. I am 5 hours from the nearest service center. Luckily in 2 years, I have only needed service twice. The last time had to be scheduled through the app with no direct conversation with a human. Despite explicitly stating I needed a loaner vehicle in order to leave mine, I showed up and requested the loaner vehicle with a shocked look on the face of the service consultant. Only by luck was there an 85 available to take early that morning. There is just something missing if you can not talk to a human being at a service center. That is just basic customer service in any industry.

Our family is on our third Model S and this hasn't been my experience at all. My current daily driver developed a high speed whine, only when under load, I took it in Tysons Corner service center last week for that an a front end suspension rattle at ~89,000 miles. They did a ride along and agreed that the whine was the rear drive unit, told me they would order parts and could I drop it on next Wednesday for a scheduled appointment (they ordered parts prior). Dropped the car this afternoon, was speeding away in an Uber about 4 minutes later. They are replacing the DU under warranty and replacing a worn suspension component (A-Arm something). Best part is they gave me $400 in Uber credit to use or lose while the car is being serviced.

As an owner of three model S's I have only had one roadside no start issue in over 200,000 miles (12 volt battery died). My first one needed door handles (covered under warranty), and one LED light replaced (door handle). Beyond that its been bullet proof. When the recall came around for the passenger airbag, they came to my work and did it.

I get none of the normal dealer BS that you need the 45,000 blinker oil change, new cabin, engine, oil filter, no push to get any other crap done that the local Ford dealer pulls every time I go there. $500 for a navigation update CD, etc, etc.
My favorite Ford event was when I dropped it off my daughters Ford Fusion Hybrid for annual service/ and numerous recalls (airbag, and some other stuff) which has had notorious 12 volt battery issues. At the 45,000 mile service they called and told me I needed a new battery (fourth one) The Fer's didn't even check under the hood, it was on their "we know its and issue" script, that I had just installed a $650 LiPO after multiple road side issues where the car wouldn't start due to low 12 volt voltage. It's been 2 years without issue with the new battery and the car sits at her university for months without being driven.

Never going back to ICE and if the truck is a utility tool and not a freak show that's going to be in my driveway too - sold for life (My 20 year old and 17 year old both are begging for Tesla's as well)

So if they operate differently from other companies, that's somehow an excuse in this situation? Are we expecting too much by asking for reasonable repair times, loaners and decent treatment? You're stating pure nonsense to the point that I am amazed.

to the op: I gave up on buying a new Tesla because of similar service experiences I had. Saving money for the e-tron GT and hoping it won't be a screw up like their first e-tron.

This! I had forgotten about the e-tron GT. My problem is that looks like they'll start production late 2020 so it'll be quite some time until we'll see if it's worth getting. I've already returned my last lease and I've been sitting on my hands for the last few months.

Life's too short to spend it on forums and dreaming of future cars, I will order a Model 3 soon.

Audi starts working on factory for e-tron GT electric car production in 'late 2020' - Electrek

This! I had forgotten about the e-tron GT. My problem is that looks like they'll start production late 2020 so it'll be quite some time until we'll see if it's worth getting. I've already returned my last lease and I've been sitting on my hands for the last few months.

Life's too short to spend it on forums and dreaming of future cars, I will order a Model 3 soon.

Audi starts working on factory for e-tron GT electric car production in 'late 2020' - Electrek

We are watching it closely too, I think I signed up on the website for notifications. Just hoping it is closer to Model S prices not 2020 Roadster prices.

Reactions: AtAge19

Patience is a great virtue, too :). If you're willing to spend, bridging the gap with an M3 is totally reasonable. I am not willing to spend.

Reactions: AtAge19