Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla (the company) killing itself slowly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am confused is Tesla not providing you a loaner? The Chicago SC must not be like the Tysons SC.. I pretty much have the option of a Tesla they few times I have been in for service since 2012.
Yes, but I had to fight to get one. Tesla is so discombobulated that I have now had this loaner for 4.5 weeks with no end in sight -- and for the last two+ of these weeks my car has been sitting untouched at the SC parking lot.

I really hope the screen yellowing isn't tied to baking in humidity and sun.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I'm the opposite. I get a ranger that comes to my house and works in my garage. And yes, it's fantastic (although I do miss the one time I did go to the service center and got to try out a Model X for a day).

Also, if you're a few hours away from a service center, I would guess you'd be higher up the chain for a ranger vs. make you go to the service center.

Reactions: erik_k
Our family is on our third Model S and this hasn't been my experience at all. My current daily driver developed a high speed whine, only when under load, I took it in Tysons Corner service center last week for that an a front end suspension rattle at ~89,000 miles. They did a ride along and agreed that the whine was the rear drive unit, told me they would order parts and could I drop it on next Wednesday for a scheduled appointment (they ordered parts prior). Dropped the car this afternoon, was speeding away in an Uber about 4 minutes later. They are replacing the DU under warranty and replacing a worn suspension component (A-Arm something). Best part is they gave me $400 in Uber credit to use or lose while the car is being serviced.

As an owner of three model S's I have only had one roadside no start issue in over 200,000 miles (12 volt battery died). My first one needed door handles (covered under warranty), and one LED light replaced (door handle). Beyond that its been bullet proof. When the recall came around for the passenger airbag, they came to my work and did it.

I get none of the normal dealer BS that you need the 45,000 blinker oil change, new cabin, engine, oil filter, no push to get any other crap done that the local Ford dealer pulls every time I go there. $500 for a navigation update CD, etc, etc.
My favorite Ford event was when I dropped it off my daughters Ford Fusion Hybrid for annual service/ and numerous recalls (airbag, and some other stuff) which has had notorious 12 volt battery issues. At the 45,000 mile service they called and told me I needed a new battery (fourth one) The Fer's didn't even check under the hood, it was on their "we know its and issue" script, that I had just installed a $650 LiPO after multiple road side issues where the car wouldn't start due to low 12 volt voltage. It's been 2 years without issue with the new battery and the car sits at her university for months without being driven.

Never going back to ICE and if the truck is a utility tool and not a freak show that's going to be in my driveway too - sold for life (My 20 year old and 17 year old both are begging for Tesla's as well)

Happy for you, but none of this helps OP's situation at all.

• Love
My MCU, which was just replaced last year and already has a yellow border which my old 4 year old MCU did NOT have so it must be a refurb, has been getting into reboot loops more and more lately. When it happens, I wonder if this will be the time it doesn't recover. Usually it's 5 to 10 minutes of rebooting and then it comes back. Sometimes it comes back but then reboots a few more times.

I'm getting ready to go on a 2500 mile road trip and I'm super scared that it will leave us stranded many hundreds of miles away from the nearest dealer. Even if it we are near a dealer if it dies, it will still be the end of the vacation for the most part. Hotels, resorts, events, etc for entire trip already paid for in advance.

Thinking about maybe taking our 315K mile 2009 Prius on the trip instead.

So much for the claim that Tesla is a long range, low and cheap maintenance EV. Sad that you're having to consider using a 2009 Prius instead.

Reactions: darxsys
I'm not making excuses for Tesla or saying this is good.

However, they are in a unique position in the market. Their cars are unmatched, they have no real competition, and it looks like they won't for several years, so... they are making hay while the sun shines. They have to become actually profitable if they are going to survive, and without competition, they're able to cut a lot of corners when it comes to customer experience. So far they sell every car they can make.

Once they are profitable, and, if and when, they have real competitors, then they can go back to customer support. It's pretty likely people will forgive them since the cars are so fantastic.

How are the cars "fantastic" if OP can't drive it, and sorka doesn't trust it to go on his family vacation?

Sorry you couldn't afford an X when your kids were little or that you think people should own lots and lots of cars to put in their big old garages in the McMansion-burbs, but neither means that I should have to have an extra car because Tesla service didn't advertise that it sucks. In fact, to the contrary, around the time I got my X, Musk announced how I'd have a top of the line X as a loaner when I needed service.

Of course, my car was also supposed to have EAP in an OTA update in 12/16. I believed that, too.

Wasn't it Jaguar or some European brand that got stuck with the line "When you buy their car, make sure you buy 2, so you have one to drive when the other one's in the shop"?. Looks like Tesla belongs in that group, Lol.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: erik_k and neroden
That will be the legacy manufacturers single biggest problem - coercing their dealers ( franchised independent business owners ) to spend big money on the equipment and training to deal with cars that will not provide much revenue to the only part of their business that makes any money. Without service absorption the whole dealership model falls apart and that is part of the brilliance of Musk's business model - company stores only.

Except that, as of now, Teslas seem to require as many if not more service visits as traditional ICE cars.

You have to be joking right. Again just because a small percentage have had issues does mean all of us have.

If the above is true, why it is so hard to get an appointment and talk to live person in SC? I don't call my SC anymore, they never return my calls. Tried to schedule via app, it has one time available next Wednesday and nothing else till September, that is as far as I checked, which is obviously a BS... No mobile service either. Had to take Wednesday, but the time is very inconvenient, will screw my schedule for the day. And I'm the lucky one, not an emergency, I'm in NJ, only 15-20 minutes away.

Our Audi SA knows me and my wife by name, always returns our calls and willing to walk an extra mile to make sure we're happy.
Is it to much to expect from the company? My car is twice more expensive than our Audi...

If the above is true, why it is so hard to get an appointment and talk to live person in SC? I don't call my SC anymore, they never return my calls. Tried to schedule via app, it has one time available next Wednesday and nothing else till September, that is as far as I checked, which is obviously a BS... No mobile service either. Had to take Wednesday, but the time is very inconvenient, will screw my schedule for the day. And I'm the lucky one, not an emergency, I'm in NJ, only 15-20 minutes away.

Our Audi SA knows me and my wife by name, always returns our calls and willing to walk an extra mile to make sure we're happy.
Is it to much to expect from the company? My car is twice more expensive than our Audi...
One of the reasons is because of all the model 3's that sold and they didnt ramp sevice to match the anticipated flood of cars. It's a multi layered problem/issue that is not as simple as adding techs or service advisors. I have used the app for every appointment with no issues. I would have liked the work to be performed the same day or even the same week but it will never happen that way and NO car company offers same day service so why do you expect tesla to fix your car the same day or be put ahead of everyone else. Take your spot in line and wait like everyone else.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jase1125
You have to be joking right. Again just because a small percentage have had issues does mean all of us have.
No one is saying that all owners have problems, I've no doubt that there are hundreds, perhaps thousands that don't. However, every reliability survey I've seen has put Tesla pretty low in the rankings.
While we love our Tesla, it is far and away the most trouble prone car we've ever owned.

• Love
One of the reasons is because of all the model 3's that sold and they didnt ramp sevice to match the anticipated flood of cars. It's a multi layered problem/issue that is not as simple as adding techs or service advisors. I have used the app for every appointment with no issues. I would have liked the work to be performed the same day or even the same week but it will never happen that way and NO car company offers same day service so why do you expect tesla to fix your car the same day or be put ahead of everyone else. Take your spot in line and wait like everyone else.
Read again, where did I say the same day? I only want it to be scheduled at the time convenient to me, not much to ask. Unless emergency, I would normally call and schedule service, but it’s not an option with Tesla. I don’t mind if it’s 10 days away, as long as it fits my schedule. Again I checked the app for every week in August and September, nothing is available! It is clear app doesn’t work, they can be booked so far in advance. Why defend indefensible?

Read again, where did I say the same day? I only want it to be scheduled at the time convenient to me, not much to ask. Unless emergency, I would normally call and schedule service, but it’s not an option with Tesla. I don’t mind if it’s 10 days away, as long as it fits my schedule. Again I checked the app for every week in August and September, nothing is available! It is clear app doesn’t work, they can be booked so far in advance. Why defend indefensible?
They are actually scheduled pretty far out, at least around here, just like all dealerships. The app is pretty convenient to schedule an appointment but because its not within your time frame it's not ok? How does that make any sense? This is the real world and everyone of us has to wait for service and it's on there schedule since they are the service center. I just dont understand why it's so hard to understand for alot of entitled people. And I'm not necessarily talking about you but in general it seems like the ones that complain the most are entitled snobs and they expect special service or attention just because they paid 6 figures for a car.

Except that, as of now, Teslas seem to require as many if not more service visits as traditional ICE cars.

86,000 miles, my car has been 100% reliable and at the SC for scheduled maintenance twice. One of those times Tesla came to my house, 150 miles away from the SC, left me with a brand new loaner, and then brought my car back to me a couple days later when it was done. Admittedly this was almost 2 years ago and times have certainly changed since then with respect to service operations.

One time, a ranger came and fixed two minor issues in my driveway in less than an hour.

As of a couple months ago, I have a brand new service center less than 30 minutes away. Sadly I haven’t had an occasion to use it.

Don’t buy in to the whole car forum derangement syndrome thing. Most of us are having perfectly acceptable experiences.

• Disagree
Reactions: TK16688 and neroden
How many brake jobs did you have to go in for prior to tesla?
I get oil changes but brake jobs? C’mon man.
By the way, although teslas pads last longer, the system still needs maintenance.

Have you owned a high end German car - most blow through brakes ( pads and rotors ) in 20K miles because they are driver’s cars and everyone driving them thinks they are Lewis Hamilton.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe