TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla... the Future? No longer...

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Driver Dave, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Driver Dave

Driver Dave Member

When I first got the Tesla, it felt like I was driving in the future.
    Like I was in this cool time machine bubble going down the road.

But now...

When I look around, it really feels like I'm just the one in the present...
    and the *other* cars are in the past.

Like they are all trapped in some sort of 1908 bubble using their antiquated "make fire" based engines.

While I'm just simply using what we should be using at this point to get around. No biggie.

We really need to pop that 1908 bubble and free them.

It's getting to be pretty weird having them still on the road...driving those very old cars.

• Like x 14
    • Disagree x 1
  2. l.10.i

l.10.i Member

Bingo!

I haven't even taken delivery of mine and feel already the same.

Each time I see, hear and smell one of those clunkin'-smokin'-dinosaur(*)-burning charriot passing by, I feel we are all stuck in a dystopian past.

We might very well be indeed! And buying an EV today is the best way to get out of it!

Stop financing the oil industry and it will stop having power over the world.

*Yes, I know ;-)

• Like x 1
  3. McRat

McRat Active Member

Hehehe...

At one time in history, 1/3 of all cars sold were electric. Roughly 110 years ago.

4. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

If there were only enough batteries in the world (or capacity to make enough of them)......Tesla is working on the problem (gigafactory). Once the supply chain is up to speed and costs are down, it's game-over for ICE.

I agree with the sentiment here. ICE is so outdated now. I love passing-by a Smart ForTWO and thinking to myself, my SUV is more efficient that that thing.

Here's a video showing just how antiquated and inefficient ICE is:

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  5. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

That same feeling really gets driven home every winter day I am on the road and see clouds of exhaust.
    Or anytime I hear another car laboring to accelerate to speed.

• Like x 4
  6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

After over 3 years driving my Model S, and over 2 years only driving EVs, I have exactly the same perspective. When I hear ICEs making so much noise and see exhaust coming out of them I think about how archaic they are and how fortunate I am to drive what I do.

But I also try to keep in mind that, as of now, most people can't afford a long range EV that can replace what they currently drive. Even a Bolt or Model 3 is not considered "affordable" by many people in the developed world to say nothing of the rest of the world So I don't want to come across as acting superior just because I can afford a Tesla.

• Like x 2
  7. l.10.i

l.10.i Member

That's true.

We need a 12k$ EV or a load of 20k$ EV leases ending to appeal to the masses. Not mentioning charging networks growth.

I was asking myself the other day if we should still consider ourselves as early adopters.
    Guess the answer is yes...

• Like x 1
  8. McRat

McRat Active Member

Used EV/EREVs have fallen dramatically in the last year. For 2 more days you can get a Fiat EV for $59/m for 36m.

My kids drive over 95% electric miles. Their cars combined had a total cost of $52k brand new. I could do the same thing today for less than 1/2 that.

9. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Not a Tesla, but when picking my kids up in the LEAF, nothing hits me harder than stepping outside the vehicle as a school bus goes by. Those buses are some kind of noxious, not to mention insanely loud.

• Like x 1
  10. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Once there are enough cheaper batteries schoolbuses should we are at the top of the list for replacement. Because the buses won't be able to use sharing to cut down on idle times the batteries have to be much cheaper for this application.

• Like x 1
  11. Alexander

Alexander P# 8,878

You nailed it right on the head!

I've had my car for 3 years now and about 4 or 5 months ago I had the same mental shift in thinking. Now I look around and I feel like I'm surrounded by Model T's headed to the scrap yard.

• Funny x 1
  12. Tyl

Tyl Member

We are in the infantcy of a huge paradigm shift. Tesla, Leaf, Bolt, Volt owners notice the shift more than others mostly because we are leading the way. This paradigm shift is multi-faceted as it includes solar, powering our homes, cars, power walls and battery packs. Toxic polluting industries dying. Mag-lev and hyperloop coming on line soon. Boring... oh my! Yes! A truely huge multi-faceted paradigm shift we can be proud of. Walking our talk into a great clean future.

• Like x 1
  13. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

My Smart Fortwo Electric Drive is the most efficient vehicle I could buy for my commute when calculating the production energy and materials inputs plus fuel. Even the gas Smart can be more efficient on that metric compared to much larger vehicles like the Tesla Model S in our driveway.

Taking public transit is even more energy efficient overall.

Respectfully, we should be aware of the vast amount of energy that went into the making of our vehicles, from raw materials to the fuel used to run them.

Not only do I drive a Smart ED but I also pay extra for 100% renewable electricity.

14. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

And we can thank Elon Musk for a lot of this. Amazing how much impact one person can have on the entire world.

15. JRMW

JRMW Member

I want to the gas station yesterday

To get a car wash.

Saw a bunch of people standing outside waiting for their gas tank to fill.
    So grateful I don't have to wait around for my tank to fill or get gas on my hands any more

• Like x 1
  16. Driver Dave

Driver Dave Member

One interesting thing: if you just drive locally and plug in every night, you spend zero time thinking "am I out of gas?"

There is no gas anxiety, no range anxiety... nothing. You just drive.

Yes, taking a trip you need to let the car tell you where to stop, but day to day driving locally or to work and plugging in every night... nothing to do. I've stopped looking at the miles... got tired of checking the car at the end of the day and thinking "yep, I still got 150 miles"... so now I just don't bother anymore.

• Like x 3