Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla": The word that will get you a better Mercedes lease.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I

I agree with your point but I also think for a large part of the next generation of drivers, they are going to turn their nose up at driving ICE cars....yucky!

The next generation of drivers spends a lot of time taking photographs of themselves, their food, and their feet. I don't do anything based on what they do.

With that said, I would bet my next car will be electric.

Reactions: tvad
I’ve never been a “car guy”. I always chose something comfortable and practical but I never had any interest in participating in car forums or following the industry. A car was just a way for me to get around.

But I have always been fascinated by technology and spent a good portion of my career in the IT industry. My enthusiasm for Tesla vehicles is purely related to the technology aspect of the vehicle. I see a Tesla as a computer on wheels where ICE cars are just modes of transportation for me.

I don’t presume to know what other people think. But to me, there is nothing special about a Mercedes. It’s just another boring ICE car that looks and feels like all of the other ICE cars on the road to me. It’s a safe choice, but a boring one.

This is a blanket statement, and blanket statements are usually foolish at best. At least it is stated as part of an opinion rather then fact.

I live in West Los Angeles. I just drove to the bank and came back. The bank is about 1.5 away. In that drive, I saw 3 Model 3s. At work, the Ms are hogging every charging station. Everybody got them out of nowhere. It's like Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but with really quiet cars.

Now, don't get me wrong. The M3 a pretty car, but it is "boring" in the sense that it's on its way to being the next Prius.

And just so we are clear, is every ICE car included from Gremlins to Posches?

In contrast to the first quoted post above, this one is much more forward thinking. After 3+ years on this forum, this is the first time I have ever seen anybody with the foresight to acknowledge that today's trendy car of the moment will probably be tomorrow's safe but boring choice (or at the least run-of-the-mill common choice).

Good luck Petrocelli, that looks like a beautiful car! My two cars have been C-class sedans, one lease and one purchase. I just bought a Model 3 SR+, but I definitely considered a new C-class lease.

Reactions: Petrocelli
In contrast to the first quoted post above, this one is much more forward thinking. After 3+ years on this forum, this is the first time I have ever seen anybody with the foresight to acknowledge that today's trendy car of the moment will probably be tomorrow's safe but boring choice (or at the least run-of-the-mill common choice).

My wife and I just went for a drive in my new car. We drove about 7-8 miles along PCH through Pacific Palisades, and then through Santa Monica. In that probably 7-8 mile drive, on a lazy Saturday morning, we saw 5 Model 3s. (We actually counted.) That's kind of mind-boggling given that you rarely saw even 1 a year ago.

A professional’s take on the Tesla 3 design:

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2018-design-of-the-year-tesla-model-3/

As to the “luxury” issue, here are Cumberford’s thoughts:

“The Model 3 reminds us of classic Pininfarina designs of the 1960s: simple and straight-forward, perfectly proportioned with minimal extraneous detailing.

“The Model 3 is not luxurious in an ostentatious, opulent sense. It’s much like the classic Eames chair or the deceptive simplicity of Apple products: Function is embodied in a minimalist manner, providing elegant simplicity rather than some “plain pipe rack” aesthetic like the original Citroën 2CV or something rococo like a Victorian silver tea set or some overdone Japanese sedans with “Tokyo by night” decor. We have the impression that the studied simplicity of both interior and exterior will let this car age extremely well, that in 10 years it will still look contemporary and beautifully understated, not old and irrelevant.“

My wife and I just went for a drive in my new car. We drove about 7-8 miles along PCH through Pacific Palisades, and then through Santa Monica. In that probably 7-8 mile drive, on a lazy Saturday morning, we saw 5 Model 3s. (We actually counted.) That's kind of mind-boggling given that you rarely saw even 1 a year ago.

Considering that it's outselling the C-Class, BMW 3-series and Audi A4/A5 combined, maybe not THAT mind-boggling...

Just sayin'...

I suspect you will be thinking of your time in the Model 3 you test drove alot in your 3 years of leasing the MB, and especially every time you see a Model 3 on the road.

It's funny how new, different things grow on you sometimes quickly and surprisingly. I wasn't initially enamored with just the center screen and minimal look of the Model 3's dash. Had become accustomed to my husband's MS (two screens) and the Toyota Avalon I had been driving (which had way less button/knob and design clutter than newer cars today). It really didn't take me long at all to appreciate, and guess you can say now, really "love" the uncluttered look. Some how it's become peaceful and relaxing and a pleasure to be in and it let's me focus on the view outside while listening to the great premium sound system.

I looked at the photo someone posted of an interior of a MB above a few posts in this thread and it still looked very cluttered to me. Even the seats with the diamond stitched pattern add to that. I do miss the ventilated seats of our MS, but turning on the very efficient, powerful and very positionable AC in the Model 3 really does solve a warm seat issue -- especially if I pre-cool the car for even 3-5 minutes in the hottest temps we get (90-100s). I keep Cabin Overheat Protection on during the hot summer months and getting into a car with that set really isn't bad at all. I admit I love real leather but don't see that coming back. No question the Model 3's acceleration and handling are a winner and stick with you long after you get out of the car. I hope your 3 years with MB don't disappoint you like you thought driving a Model 3 would.

Reactions: Petrocelli
No question the Model 3's acceleration and handling are a winner and stick with you long after you get out of the car. I hope your 3 years with MB don't disappoint you like you thought driving a Model 3 would.

I am pretty sure driving a Model 3 wouldn't disappoint me in the least. It is an absolutely fantastic car. Again, it's the most fun car I have ever driven. I may have gotten one -- simply to be more green, and to save a few dollars -- but I think Tesla has some growing pains right now. Also, Tesla lease prices are absurd, and I like to lease.

I imagine I will get an electric car next time around. There will be more variety then. But, right now, I am driving the car I have wanted for more than a decade.

Considering that it's outselling the C-Class, BMW 3-series and Audi A4/A5 combined, maybe not THAT mind-boggling...

Just sayin'...

I think we are saying the same thing. Tesla put an astounding amount of cars on the road in a very short period of time. But, I see two problems:

1. There appears to be insufficient infrastructure to service and fuel all these cars.
2. The number of Model 3s may devalue the cache' of the Tesla brand.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
The heater uses a ton of power. You'll burn more power heating the cabin with it then moving the car.

That's why every seat has a heater in it. That's the smarter way to go about it in an electric.

• Baseline (vehicle at rest but powered up): 247 Wh
  • Defroster (rear window & side mirror heaters): 285 Wh
  • Steering Wheel Heater: 95 Wh
  • Heated Wipers & Nozzles: 95Wh
  • 1 Seat Heater: 57 Wh
  • 2 Seat Heaters: 133 Wh
  • 3 Seat Heaters: 171 Wh
  • 4 Seat Heaters: 209 Wh
  • 5 Seat Heaters: 247 Wh
  • HVAC at ‘HI’ or 82F (28C): 6,400 Wh
  • HVAC at 74F (23C): 342 Wh
Your 3 has steering wheel heater? I swear they told me the premium interior was suppose to have steering wheel heat, not just heaters for the back seats.

You should put in an underground gas tank at your house so you can at least have the pleasure of refueling at home like a Tesla......

Going to a gas station is so last century.

The convenience of going to the gas station was never a consideration for me. The cost savings and the damage to the Earth were the reasons I wanted to buy an electric car. I just didn't think it is a good time to get a Tesla because of reliability and service issues (which I believe should fix themselves eventually).

As I said above, my next car will probably be an electric car.

No worries you make a decision for what is good for you . Tesla and Mercedes will still be around in 3 years to make that decision again. Mercedes and German cars in general cannot be trusted past 3 years (Germans are great at planned obsolescence) but you won't have to deal with that most of the time . Although I do see a large number of new Mercedes on tows along with Range Rovers. What I have found is that Tesla is not good at the fit and finish but are pretty good after that. German cars are great at fit and finish but begin to fall apart near warranties end. Tesla hasn't been engineered to fail out of warranty and it's a type of car that will last a little longer in the 5-8 year range with software updates and gas savings. It also has an 8 year warranty on battery and drivetrain. Stuff to consider next time .

Last edited:
Reactions: Nels