Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla": The word that will get you a better Mercedes lease.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like you, my last 8 cars were Mercedes. Never had any problems. With that said we are now a 2 Tesla household since 2017 with no real issues. I could never go back to Mercedes (even an EV) simply because they are so far behind in design and technology. My last C300 was because they “promised” CarPlay. It never happened as an upgrade. Granted Elon has made promises too that haven’t happened yet, but he’s held tru to more of his promises than not. If you like MB stick with them, but don’t make a major buying decision based on forums. The millions of people that are happy don’t go to forums to post “everything is fine.” Go to any manufacturers forums and most of it will be people with problems.

Look, the Mercedes Benz is a good car. So are Toyotas, Hondas, Fords, Kias, and Hyundais. I've had good experiences with cheap econo cars, bad experiences with expensive luxury and sport cars, and everything in between.

It's great that we have choices, but only one choice is making a real difference in EV right now, despite their growing pains, I've chosen to support Tesla until such time that other viable EV options are out, and by then, I hope Tesla will continue to be ahead of the pack. If not, it'll be great to have choices.

Enjoy your new car - I came close to replacing my SUV with the AMG GLC 63 S Coupe but decided to just replace my daily driver with the Tesla. I'll wait for EV options when it comes time for the SUV.

Reactions: nvx1977
Like you, my last 8 cars were Mercedes. Never had any problems. With that said we are now a 2 Tesla household since 2017 with no real issues. I could never go back to Mercedes (even an EV) simply because they are so far behind in design and technology. My last C300 was because they “promised” CarPlay. It never happened as an upgrade. Granted Elon has made promises too that haven’t happened yet, but he’s held tru to more of his promises than not. If you like MB stick with them, but don’t make a major buying decision based on forums. The millions of people that are happy don’t go to forums to post “everything is fine.” Go to any manufacturers forums and most of it will be people with problems.

When you say "no real issues" with your Tesla, can you pleasedescribe what issues have occurred/

It seems like the OP wants an exact experience like his last 6 cars. Seems like the OP would be extremely disappointed if it wasn't the same. These are the kind of potential buyers I say hey if you want to buy it. Buy it. Not begging. I like Tesla, and do about 90-100k roll on both cars combined annually. So in two and half years I have your experience over your last 6 cars.

I also have noticed people that don't own Tesla's follow Tesla news almost more than I do. They are quick to run up to the owner they know (me) and say did you hear X? NO Did that happen to you? NO I have yet to understand this phenomena. People that own a Ford don't know that the Ford Explorer is giving Police Officers carbon monoxide poisoning, yet at bonfire last night I was asked if my car likes to run into tow trucks like the one in Moscow.

Tesla's are like the new thing that's not really new. It is starting to catch on with masses. Comes growing pains.

I will take small issues and growing pains(and no I won't list my issues) to further what I think is a fun car to drive with a company that creates a cool product. No offense to your C class, but kids and people don't stop and point at it. They definitely don't yell Dieter(Chairman).

Personally I don't understand the disposability of cars. Getting a 6 new cars over 270,000 miles seems like an awful tax on yours and mine environment.

Good luck with your car. Maybe cross post here your next experience with the C. Seems like you have a lucky streak going. One that I have never had with 8 or 9 car brands.

I really don't understand the title of the thread, but I am getting old.

No. I have received good information. I am politely responding to all those who give me information.

One person above stated I should at least drive the car, which is good advice. I have emailed the local store and asked to drive one this afternoon. That may change my mind.

However, I think Mercedes is very worried about losing a customer since 1997 to Tesla. So, I truly think just suggesting you will get a Tesla will save you money at the Mercedes dealer.

• Informative
Reactions: Pollux
To the OP. We have a Tesla (my wife's model 3 performance, our third Tesla) and a Merc 400 E coupe (mine; second year of lease).
1. No problems with either
2. Flawless quality in both, but nicer materials in Merc, I especially like the ambient light at night
3. I take her car whenever she does not use it. When we go together, we always take the Tesla. Guess which one we think is more fun to drive....

Going to anything else but Tesla now feels so antiquated..... It may be luxurious, but so last century in terms of overall driving experience.

I have a reservation for the Taycan, but if it is just as disappointing as all other non-Tesla BEVs I will likely get the model S again next year when my lease expires.

Personally I don't understand the disposability of cars. Getting a 6 new cars over 270,000 miles seems like an awful tax on yours and mine environment.

I leased each Mercedes for 45,000 miles. I returned each one early them at about 44,000 miles, and Mercedes wrote off the remaining payments.

It's a pretty good deal because I never have to pay for maintenance (other than tires) and the car is always under warranty.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
@Petrocelli- just some thoughts....
MB has many more years of experience at building and servicing cars than Tesla. I am sure their experience and infrastructure are evident. On the other hand, MB is a slave to their age-old dealer model too. Tesla technology and innovation and EVs in general are clearly the future and the dealer model, as it exists today, is dead. Everyone will ultimately figure this out eventually. You're obviously coming around by claiming that maybe your next car might be a Tesla. Whether you decide to jump in now or next time is certainly up to you.... But most people who drive Teslas quickly come around because they really are different. Is Tesla perfect? No! Lastly, understanding the inherent simplicity of maintaining an EV is another important realization. I don't miss oil changes and gassing up my car even the slightest bit. Good luck on your next vehicle.

Reactions: phaheem
I did a sanity check on the equivalent performance/package of Model 3 LR AWD vs BMW.
Turns out even with MSRP vs MSRP, I had to get a 60k+ MSRP M340i with packages and options to get to the performance and technology provided on my Model 3. Makes Model 3 essentially 10k cheaper than BMW. Not to mention the "refueling" cost, long term maintenance, and Tesla infrastructure.

Reactions: 1375mlm and bd7349
I’ve been there before. Before buying a Tesla you literally are in search of reasons to not buy the car. Even if it’s not on purpose you will read into everything negative simply because it’s an EV, high tech for a car, and Tesla has been polarizing since entering the automotive world.

I finally “took a chance” and got one. And as soon as you get it you fall in love with it and find reasons why it’s better than other cars. The worst is getting one then thinking how you could have stretched for the performance model or a model S. But they are great cars. I think psychologically people talk themselves out of Tesla’s more than Tesla’s track record causes people to avoid them.

It's all been said, but forums like this and for every vehicle are probably the not best places to hear how much people love their cars. They are a collector point for problems. I looked here before getting my Model S. Scared the whooppee outa me. Once you take it for a drive though . . .
I have not driven a car like my 3. Not perfect, but pretty near.
Nothing comes close.

I drive mostly on freeways, so fun does not enter into the equation. But, as I said above, I have three co-workers who drive Teslas and they LOVE them. (FYI< one was a former Mercedes owner.)

I too drive the model 3 mostly on the highways when I take it. The Autopilot (far from being perfect) helps me have a more relaxed drive. I do keep my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road at all times - just like in my Merc. When I get home from my 200 mile trip I feel less tired with the Tesla. Mind you, my Merc does not have the Distronic package, I do not know how good that feature is.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
@Petrocelli, My take is that your decision is short sighted, which is too bad noting that you went through the trouble to join and post on a purely Tesla forum. I get it that rolling up to the Mercedes service building is a nice experience, one where Mercedes knows that owners like being catered to, and thats part of their strategy.
Tesla on the other hand is giving those many who’ve taken that next step a glimpse of what is beyond ICE cars entirely. What your passing up though is a driving experience that though similar is so different to the ICE car you’ve chosen to remain with, the Tesla delivers it’s performance that is more immediate, more seemingly intuitive, no wind up. After driving one for a short time you’ll wonder why all cars don’t have a “regen” system?
I think also you want to remain with what you know, which is normal behavior, as you said you know where all the buttons are, with the Tesla you’re depending on a computer controlling a fully drive by wire system.

It’s purely the future, it’s safer for you to take the blue pill and wake up in the morning with everything the same...we’ve all taken the red pill, to see and experience whats next.

Last edited: