Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla": The word that will get you a better Mercedes lease.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ICE is great for the math impaired.

Want higher overall vehicle costs? Get ICE.

Want less performance and laggy throttle response? Get ICE.

Want a metric crap ton more regular maintenance and parts that can fail? Get ICE.

Think anyone is envious of you in your MB C class on a Tesla forum? <Crickets>

I have calculated out the cost of leasing each car. I have included all possible costs including charging station installation, fuel, disposition fee on the Mercedes, insurance, and payments. A Mercedes costs about $86.83 a month more to lease.

If I charge half the time at work, the difference is $119.71 a month.

That amount of money is fairly insignificant, and would not drive my decision to purchase a car.

Also, on a 3 year lease, Mercedes covers all maintenance under a lease, and everything is under warranty, so there are no maintenance costs.

Last edited:
I too drive the model 3 mostly on the highways when I take it. The Autopilot (far from being perfect) helps me have a more relaxed drive. I do keep my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road at all times - just like in my Merc. When I get home from my 200 mile trip I feel less tired with the Tesla. Mind you, my Merc does not have the Distronic package, I do not know how good that feature is.

Thanks for your response.

Do you think the Mercedes is quieter at 70 MPH on the freeway, or is the Tesla quieter?

The problem with looking at reviews or forums for reliable information is that in most cases people come to places like this to complain. When people are happy with a product they’re not as likely to take the time an effort to write a glowing review. Which is why so many apps bug you to give them stars/reviews. So their ratings aren’t skewed toward the complainers.

I don’t know if Tesla has more problems than most or not. They are a new company so it makes sense that they might. But just looking at the information on this forum isn’t a good indicator of that.

Reactions: vnxs
I have been driving a C Class Mercedes since 1997. I get a new one about every three years. I have leased 6 Mercedes C class sedans in a row. Collectively, I have driven these cars about 270,000 miles. I pay about $600 a month, including 10% California sales tax. I put no money down (other than first lease payment and license.) The payment includes all regular maintenance.

My lease is coming up to its end, and I was considering a Model 3. So I started monitoring this forum. About a week ago, I was about 75% certain my next car would be a Tesla.

However, the stories I read in this forum about all sorts of problems really cause me concern. Since 1997, not one Mercedes has ever broken down. In the 270,000 miles, I have never paid for maintenance or a single repair. Only one time did the dealer need more than a day to conduct a repair. (I left the car overnight, and was given a free Mercedes loaner.)

I have never had any problem even remotely close to the horror stories I have read here. If you scroll through this forum, about every 10th post is a complaint about some issue with the car, and or customer service. They include windshields cracking, paint issues, rattles, dings, vomit smells, etc.

Now, I do confess, no car is perfect. Mercedes can be problematic when you reach high miles. But I am talking about new car problems. The Model 3 appears to have a major quality control issue. The Mercedes does not.

There are also a lot of complaints in this forum about service. This is in contrast to my experience with Mercedes. Here's an anecdote: a few weeks ago, my sunroof shade wouldn't close. I brought the car to the dealer on my wedding anniversary, and told the service rep I needed it back by 2:00 (if possible) because I had a date with my wife. The service rep called me at noon to say the car was ready. (Also, I have had the same service rep for about 10 years, which helps.)

The good news: my salesman called after that service, because he saw the car was at 42,000 miles and asked when I was coming in for my next car. I told him I was growing bored with my C Class sedan, and was considering switching to a Tesla. Long story short: He offered me a C300 coupe for about the same price. (I must pay $1,000 cap reduction though.)

So, I am going to pass on purchasing a Tesla. Maybe in three years the company will get its act together. However, I do thank Tesla for getting me a bad ass C300 Coupe.

I’ve had my Model 3 AWD since 9/2018. Great car, no problem nightmares like you’ve read. Will say I enjoy getting in it everyday to drive, no kidding. And never said that about any car I’ve owned before. The Tesla Grin is real and lasting. While I feel for anyone who has car issues, that has not been my experience.

Given the number sold and customer satisfaction reports, I’d say you’ve been swayed by the more vocal few who include some owners with real issues and short seller/anti-EVists out there who are out there everyday trying to dissuade people from buying EVs and since Teslas on top, Teslas in particular. Keep in mind the later group are motivated by making money based on sending the stock down and to benefit manufacturers/secondary industries that are coming under pressure from the EV movement so their intentions and words are not altruistic but self-serving. But getting back to my experience with the car (now second Tesla for our daily family use BTW if that tells you anything).

I figure apart from time spent in bed, the second largest amount if time I’m in something would be my car. I get in it and it feels calming without all the clutter of other cars, love the quietness of it, great sound system, no fumes, and while not someone into speed, love the acceleration of it after leaving a stop light or accelerating on an entrance ramp. Small things like this (and more from Tesla) make me a happy person when I’m in it.

Given the money spent on cars these days shouldn’t you at least love the car you buy or lease?

Last edited:
Enjoy your test drive, but as another person recommended, renting a Tesla for a day or two would really let you live in it.

You have 22 years of brand loyalty and muscle memory. That says a lot for the brand.

I have our Tesla, two Land Cruisers, and a Subaru. I will move any of the ICE cars out of the space in front of the garage bay the Tesla is in to take it out just to go to the store and back. I would love to only buy EVs going forward. The driving experience is worth it alone.

Autopilot makes LA freeways easy. I crisscross the basin weekly with no worries.

Thanks for your response.

Do you think the Mercedes is quieter at 70 MPH on the freeway, or is the Tesla quieter?

Same noise levels on the iPhone app - I would say more tire noise in Tesla, more engine noise in Merc - overall a wash. I test drove an S-class - obviously more quiet. At regular city driving, the Tesla is much more quiet.

The sound system - Tesla and Merc with Burmeester (not at the highest option) just about the same, but the user interface is easier in Tesla.

Not a problem for you in California, but not having to gas up in inclement weather: priceless.

And really the best feature: cabin pre-conditioning. My Merc has it. Compared to Tesla it is just like an asthmatic trying to compete with a healthy young athlete. It take 3-5 minutes from my office to my car. That is plenty for a comfortable cabin pre-heat / pre-cool with the Tesla. The Merc is lukewarm with 10 minutes of preheating in winter, slightly less warm with AC in summer.

The minuses on Tesla: cannot understand why in the world there is no electric trunk closure at that price - even as an option. Ambient lights need an upgrade - they are VERY dim. Abstract Ocean sells great options, did that. The lights on steering wheel are not upgradeable and are too dim. There is no wireless charging, but the Nomad third-party feels perfect.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: heysteveh
However, do you think there is a problem with the Model 3 due to ramped up production? That's kind of what I am thinking.

One year of ownership and 42,000 miles and only a set of new tires. No other issues. I have never used mobile service or taken it in for service.

I’m sure you are on a first name basis with your service writer that you have known for 10 years which I get is nice, convenient and can be helpful. I had the same relationship with my BMW service writer when I had my M3. I don’t know who is the service writer at tesla service and hope I never will.

Think about how often an ICE car needs to be serviced (oil changes, brakes, coolant, battery, etc). It’s a different relationship with Tesla. Mercedes wants you to come in for service while Tesla is actively improving there vehicles on a daily basis to try and eliminate the need for service. It’s a different way of looking at it.

However, the stories I read in this forum about all sorts of problems really cause me concern...

If you scroll through this forum, about every 10th post is a complaint about some issue with the car, and or customer service. They include windshields cracking, paint issues, rattles, dings, vomit smells, etc...

The Model 3 appears to have a major quality control issue...

There are also a lot of complaints in this forum about service...

So, I am going to pass on purchasing a Tesla...

Maybe in three years the company will get its act together...

Petrocelli,
Interesting story. All sedan sales are declining, so mentioning Tesla was clearly a good card to play. Like you said, you were 75% of the way there, so I presume other die hard Mercedes owners are also considering a Tesla.

On a website such as this, a lot of people who are experiencing problems will come here because an internet search will land them here when checking for others who may have had the same problem. Probably 95% of Tesla owners don't even know this site exists. We here are in the minority of Tesla owners. All the information you see here concerning owners reporting problems, and your experience with Mercedes cars over the years, is all "anecdotal". Where anecdotal is defined as: Not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.

Unless you have access to Mercedes and Tesla service records, deciding whether a Mercedes or Tesla is going to have fewer service related issues is just a guess. You can look at various websites that rate service, but Tesla Model 3's have only been on the road a couple years, so it's anyone's guess how things will work out. I have 19,000 miles on my Model 3, everything has been fine, except for a glove box door that randomly opened and needed to be replaced.

I have recently been looking over at the Jaguar I-Pace forums to see what their buyers think of the new electric Jaguar. Lots of people here were pontificating about how once a "real" manufacturer started making EVs, that Tesla would be doomed. The I-Pace is selling about 70-1 over the last 3 months, and you are starting to see stories like the one you see below, which ends with the owner expressing regret for ever selling their Tesla.

Hope to see you join the ranks of proud Tesla owners when your current lease expires. :)

Anecdotal I-Pace story here...

About a week ago I noticed informational messages pop up on my dashboard that said "Ok to drive with caution Brake pedal feel reduced. Click ok...so I do and the the right side of the dashboard has a yellow informational "i" and BRAKE. Now less than a week later I get another alert "ASPC not available" press ok to clear. Then shortly after that Stability control not available presss ok to clear. Then Traction battery fault detected. I then say WTF to myself whats going on. I then pull off the highway and approach a traffic light. I tap the break to slow the car down (faster then regen would) and the break pedal doesnt depress. I had to FORCEFULLY have to push the break down to stop the car. OK, maybe just an fluke. I release the break and the car doesnt move (Creep mode keeps turning off with new infotainment version) so I tap the accelerator and all of a sudden...THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP. Kinda like the car was bunny hoping sorta like the brakes were engaged and i was forcing it to move. Now I have a Gearbox fault detected

I stopped the car, put it into park and then put it into drive. Move a few feet and THUMP THUMP THUMP. Pulled the car over and called roadside assistance. Now I cannot start the car. Press the brake and hit the start button the car screen boots up and then immediately shuts down. If I hit start without the brake pressed it starts up. Parking "P" is blinking on the shifter and blinking on my dashboard. Cannot put the car into neutral and it cannot be loaded into flatbed.

emergency brake release didnt work. Finally hitting emergency release numerous times the brakes released then locked mid-pull onto flatbed. After another 10 mins of multiple attempts to release emergency brake the car brakes released. I found out there is emergency brake release in the FRUNK...really small cable to pull and release brakes (either front or back...i'm not sure).

Well 5 hours later it was taken to the only jaguar repair center that didnt have a 2-3week waiting list and only had a 2 day delay for loaner car. Cant believe it takes so long for an appt. Who knows when I will get my car back. They had to roll the car off the truck bed, connected a computer to the diagnostic board and it produced 23 PAGES OF ERRORS. I kid you not...22 pages printed up in the printer full of errors.

Im so not happy and regret selling my Tesla

I have been driving a C Class Mercedes since 1997. Long story short: He offered me a C300 coupe for about the same price.
Best of luck on your lease.

I feel it would be interesting to know the actual amount saved noting to your sales advisory that you were thinking about a Tesla. Then, go back in time and mention the same thing but mention you was looking at a Cadillac. I wonder if you would get the same or different deal for better or for worse.

When you say "no real issues" with your Tesla, can you pleasedescribe what issues have occurred/

I'm not the person you asked, but here's some feedback on what I think of my Model 3 after owning it for 8 months and how service was (the one time I needed them).

I've put 33,000 miles on my car already and haven't done any maintenance whatsoever. It has been absolutely perfect so far. Recently I took my first long road trip (3000 miles round trip) and on the day I was supposed to leave the charge port started acting up during supercharging. It would charge for a minute and then stop with a message saying it wouldn't charge.

I drove straight over to my Tesla service center where they pulled the logs from my car and the superchargers I went to in order to troubleshoot and diagnose the issue. Turns out my charge port was having a problem with a sensor, so they replaced it with a brand new one. No problems ever since and this whole process took less than 45 minutes. So my only service experience has been fantastic, but you don't see these kinds of stories on here – you only see the negative.

So it’s all subjective isn’t it. You have to go with what you feel will make you happy. If that’s a car based on old technology that burns expensive Dino fuel that you have to refill every week or so and is slower then that is your purgative. In my history of vehicle ownership I have had VW’s, Toyota’s, Honda’s, Volvo’s, Ford’s, Harley’s, Jeeps’s and BMW’s. What I have found is that there is always people on the respective forums who complain about their vehicle. In fact by what I see more people come to the internet to complain about everything, be it a car, a restaurant, a movie or whatever, than people who post saying they love their whatever they are posting about. I personally feel the people who love their Model 3 are the silent majority. Bottom line while forums can provide useful information and answer questions, always take the negative reviews with a grain or two of salt. But you know you better and if Mercedes is a “safer” choice for you then good luck to you.

My philosophy is really a lot different than a lot of people it seems.

I don’t look at what “issues” brand A has vs brand B - real or “perceived”.

I just go after the hottest. The yes/no decision is if the hot outweighs the crazy.

In Tesla’s case it’s been all hot and minimal crazy for me.

Mercedes drivers like to drive fast around my Volt. Not so when I’m in my 3P. :D

• Funny
Reactions: hoang51 and wws
Driving the C300 felt like stepping back in time to another era compared to my Tesla P3. It was growling like an angry dragon when I stepped on the “gas” and it had to meditate what felt like an eternity before it actually started moving.

It also had more buttons than a Blackberry from 2007.

It was a weird experience.

EXACTLY how I felt when I had one as a rental while my 2015 P85DL was getting it's bumper replaced after being rear ended. The almost new 2018 C300 I got from Enterprise was SO annoying to drive, very unintuitive, horrible tiny display... I could go on and on. It was SO bad I drove our 2012 Prius Four and LOUD off road built Kenne Bell supercharged Jeep Wrangler Rubicon instead of the C300.

We also own a 2011 Winnebago View (Mercedes Sprinter 3500 HD chassis with 3.0 liter Blutec turbodiesel engine) which THOUSANDS of us who own them have MULTIPLE failures at LOW mileage (0 to 30,000 miles): wheel speed sensors, DEF heaters / sensor failures, NOx sensors, glow plugs. Fortunately these are covered under 7 year CARB / 5 year Federal emissions warranties... but the Mercedes "STEALERships" usually tell owners they're NOT covered since their 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty has expired and want the customers to pay. WHY? Because can charge more (Mercedes warranty pays them less than consumers "out of warranty"). Class Action Lawsuit in the works since Mercedes and their STEALERships are treating their customers like SPIT. Worse still is the repairs to the 4 items that fail REPEATELY are insanely expensive: $4,000 to 7,000 to replace the DEF tank / sensors, $500 per wheel speed sensor and glow plug, $700 NOx sensor... EACH TIME with a lame 1 year / 12,000 mile warranty on the replacement parts. RIDICULOUS.

On the other hand, my 1985 Mercedes 300SD Turbodiesel was incredible. Total "old school" (mechanical fuel injection, only a Trap Oxidizer on the exhaust, ABS and driver air bag (1st vehicle sold in U.S. with these). Drove it for 190,000 miles over 16 years and it was still running strong when I sold it. Mercedes discovered a problem with their Trap Oxidizer shedding metal into their turbocharger... so they extended their Trap Oxidizer AND turbochargers to 200,000 miles. Saved me from buying a $5,000 turbocharger around 120,000 miles.

IMHO Mercedes quality and customer care isn't what it used to be... and their years behind Tesla on technology.

Oh and both Mercedes and your Mercedes dealership LOVE customers like you who lease a new vehicle every 3 years. They make a LOAD of money off these "frequent flippers"... Not so much people like me who buy a car and drive it for 10 years.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
One of the main problems with internet forums is that they attract people having problems. They're looking for answers/help and to complain. Forums are biased towards problems. If you were to look at the support forum for my software you'd think that my software was full of bugs and *everyone* has trouble with it ... yet it's considered to be one of the most reliable programs of its type by industry insiders. My forum would be flooded with tens of thousands of messages like, "everything is good here", if everyone posted their status.

That said, I do think that Tesla's delivery method needs to be improved. Cars should not be delivered with obvious problems. I didn't have any with my 3P+ other than smudges inside on the roof (looked like a sweaty arm brushed against it) ... but there are some whopper stories here that are just inexcusable (cracked glass, numerous paint scratches, etc.). I was fully prepared to reject the car if I found any significant issues or in the first week. I also, ahem, exercised the car quite a bit that first week to tease out any mechanical issues.

Reactions: Kilotango74
I have calculated out the cost of leasing each car. I have included all possible costs including charging station installation, fuel, disposition fee on the Mercedes, insurance, and payments. A Mercedes costs about $86.83 a month more to lease.

If I charge half the time at work, the difference is $119.71 a month.

That amount of money is fairly insignificant, and would not drive my decision to purchase a car.

Also, on a 3 year lease, Mercedes covers all maintenance under a lease, and everything is under warranty, so there are no maintenance costs.

You're too wrapped up with leasing. The leasing terms suck for Tesla, which goes to show how bad your MB deal is when it costs even more. LOL.

I mean, it's cool you want to pay more for an outdated vehicle. Some people like classics.

This guy really comes off as a borderline FUDster. Every chance he gets he tries to quietly steer it back to some perceived Tesla weakness while ignoring or downplaying anything positive said by posters.

Seems like he is just trying to stir up MB lease business here.

I have no idea what a "FUDster" is.

However, if you read through the posts, I have received many polite and extremely helpful responses, and I truly appreciate them. I have requested responses, received them, and thanked the posters.

In the end, I am learning a lot from this thread. That's why I am here. As one person pointed out, it is hard to change brands after more than 2 decades with a Mercedes.

I am going for a test drive in four hours. I will ask the Tesla salesman about renting one.

Thanks to all who have taken time out of their day to help me.

Last edited:
Not all cars fit everyone so get a c300 if you like it more than a Model 3.

I like the Model 3 over any other 4 seat cars on the market. I really wanted to get an Audi R8 or a NSX, but kids have no where to sit :(

As for the Modle 3, I get $200 a month from work for driving an EV. Plus they offer free level 2 charging which is always busy, but electricity is cheaper than gas when charging at home.

Yes, Model 3 has more issues than my past cars. Since 90s my first car has always been a Toyota and I never had any car troubles until the Model 3. Tesla is a new car company so lots of growing pains.

As for the C300, $600 is expensive to rent, plus you have to put in gas money. On the bright side, you don't have to worry about door dings.

You're too wrapped up with leasing. The leasing terms suck for Tesla, which goes to show how bad your MB deal is when it costs even more. LOL.

A couple points here.

I actually calculated out the cost of leasing two Mercedes, versus buying a Tesla. If you look back at my few post, you will see a thread where I asked opinions regarding the resale value of a Tesla 3 in 6 years.

Assuming that the Model 3 with 90,000 miles is sold for $10,000 in 10 years, and a Mercedes is leased twice for $625 a month, and assuming subsidy, fuel, charger installation, insurance, etc., I calculate that the Tesla would save me about $379.75 a month in costs. If I charge 50% at work (which is likely), I will save $412.61 a month. That number is not lost on me.