Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla": The word that will get you a better Mercedes lease.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK. Did the test drive. Two things happened:

1. The drive was amazing. The car really accelerates flawlessly and is, as many here claim, fun to drive. It's lower and smaller than a Mercedes. I drove it in autopilot, and I could see how that could be great during a morning commute. (Although it did freak me out a little.)

2. On the way to the dealer, I pushed the button to open the sunroof on my Mercedes, and was getting ready to crank some Kendrick Lamar. The sunroof, which I had repaired two weeks ago, wouldn't open. (I swear I am not making this up.) After 12 years of Catholic schooling, I am convinced this was a sign from God to quit screwing up his/her planet.

Bottom line: ordering a Tesla in November.

Sincere thanks to all who contributed to this thread! (Even to the guy/gal who called me FUDster.)

Regards to all,

Petrocelli

So now maybe the hard part comes, deciding on the car color etc and sometimes sticking to it. Or do you have something in mind already?

The test drive really is a very important part of the decision making process. Tesla does no advertising so it’s difficult for people who have never spent time with one to understand just how unique the car really is. So many people decide they don’t want one without even going on a test drive. But if you nudge them to just take the test drive even though they don’t want the car they usually change their mind. If Tesla had greater access to test drive vehicles I’m sure they would sell more cars. But it may not matter at this point since they are selling as many as they can make for the time being.

Reactions: outdoors
The test drive really is a very important part of the decision making process. Tesla does no advertising so it’s difficult for people who have never spent time with one to understand just how unique the car really is. So many people decide they don’t want one without even going on a test drive. But if you nudge them to just take the test drive even though they don’t want the car they usually change their mind. If Tesla had greater access to test drive vehicles I’m sure they would sell more cars. But it may not matter at this point since they are selling as many as they can make for the time being.

Absolutely. I liked Tesla's before test driving one. Then I test drove one and now I know my next car will be a Tesla.

I have owned high end cars drove all of them and by far Tesla knocks them ALL out of the park in speed, tech, and the lowest maintenance costs in the world. Every car has trouble it’s not perfect I have not had major issues with my Tesla knock on wood.

If you want a futuristic car that is a dream to drive and changes with every update sometimes not what we want it’s a dream come true.

Mercedes makes a heck of a car but at the end of the day go with your gut. Sometimes in life you gotta take chances and ignore what everyone else says because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Considering it's 2019, nearing 2020, a gas guzzling C-Class would have been cool a decade ago...

Now, not at all

Electric is the present and future. Model 3 is the ultimate vehicle

It's just a matter of all the cavemen coming out of their caves and hopping onto the modern day spaceships

1. The drive was amazing. The car really accelerates flawlessly and is, as many here claim, fun to drive. It's lower and smaller than a Mercedes. I drove it in autopilot, and I could see how that could be great during a morning commute. (Although it did freak me out a little.)

2. On the way to the dealer, I pushed the button to open the sunroof on my Mercedes, and was getting ready to crank some Kendrick Lamar. The sunroof, which I had repaired two weeks ago, wouldn't open. (I swear I am not making this up.) After 12 years of Catholic schooling, I am convinced this was a sign from God to quit screwing up his/her planet.

Sincere thanks to all who contributed to this thread! (Even to the guy/gal who called me FUDster.)

Regards to all,

Petrocelli
Cool

Probably white with black interior. I like red the most, but don't like paying $2,000 for a color of a car.

That happens to be my config. and I contemplated the red briefly too. I love the pearl white (when I ordered back on 6/26/18, it was $1500) and the black interior doesn't show any stains and is easier on the eyes in bright sunlight. The white body color surprisingly doesn't look dirty most of the time.

Don't know if you tried out the AC in the car but Tesla's AC system in the Model 3 is really well designed, super fast and efficient, cooling down the car quickly. I was concerned about having black interior during the hot season but didn't need to be. I did buy Tesla's front roof sunshade because I like a darker interior during the summer but will probably enjoy the glass roof view during the rest of the year.

@Curious George. a boyfriend of mine drove his MB to visit me in the midwest during the winter and ended up staying through to the next day until it warmed up so he could drive his diesel car home. That was pretty bad; and yes, there are always compromises between different cars. Tesla does incorporate a Superbottle cooling system that even Sandy Munro of Munro & Associates raved about the engineering of, among a list of other things. Here's an article from Jalopnik about it. BTW OP lists a location of Los Angeles.

Last edited:

Congratulations!

This car sells itself unlike anything else I’ve ever seen.

Now, instead of Kendrick Lamar (I don’t even know who that is; I must be old!) - you should try some Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers ... because “The waiting is the hardest part!”

Now, before the hordes send their lists, here’s Dennis’ List of Stuff I Enjoyed Adding to My Model 3:

- 3D Maxpider floor mats - front, rear & trunk
- Abstract Ocean - trunk LED lights - increased brightness
- Abstract Ocean - center console vinyl wrap (I hate the fingerprints on the piano black finish)
- Sandisk USB stick for Teslacam
- Abstract Ocean - glass screen protector (no idea if it’s necessary, but I like mine.)
- Nomad wireless charging pad

That’s about it. Make sure you post your order once you place it!

(And FYI - I couldn’t wait for my lease to end on my Cadillac. I ended up selling it to the dealership directly. Not sure if that’s an option with Mercedes, but it is with GM Financial. It saved me the lease-end fee and a new set of tires ... plus, got me into Model 3 while the fed tax credit was $3750.)

I love my m3! Sold my AMG benz with 10k miles on ODO. (and when I say SOLD , I gave it away for KBB fair trade) nobody not even car max wanted it. - that's when I knew the educated buyer doesn't want ICE. - it was riddled with issues. from air suspension leaks to kick to open trunk inop.(which only germany knew how to fix) (not to mention the premium fuel) don't miss those fill ups!

Least fav thing I won't miss is the dang button to turn off auto-start/stop - engine would cut out at a stop light. annoyed with ICE!

Moreover, heating, the biggest range killer in electric cars, is kinda free in gas cars as they recirculate the engine waste heat, not burn KWhs to produce.
George is curious, if Tesla Model 3 uses a heat pump to make heating more efficient.

Both AAA and consumer reports issued warnings on winter range loss (50% is what they said) for electric cars last year after Model 3 sales took off and complaints picked up. Don't remember seeing such warnings for gas cars.

The heater uses a ton of power. You'll burn more power heating the cabin with it then moving the car.

That's why every seat has a heater in it. That's the smarter way to go about it in an electric.

• Baseline (vehicle at rest but powered up): 247 Wh
  • Defroster (rear window & side mirror heaters): 285 Wh
  • Steering Wheel Heater: 95 Wh
  • Heated Wipers & Nozzles: 95Wh
  • 1 Seat Heater: 57 Wh
  • 2 Seat Heaters: 133 Wh
  • 3 Seat Heaters: 171 Wh
  • 4 Seat Heaters: 209 Wh
  • 5 Seat Heaters: 247 Wh
  • HVAC at ‘HI’ or 82F (28C): 6,400 Wh
  • HVAC at 74F (23C): 342 Wh

I used to own a Mercedes SL320 (convertible), which was beautiful and enjoyable to drive. It was pretty much trouble free until it hit 75,000 miles, and then it started to "self destruct". Failed water pump, convertible top controller failure, a "check engine" light they never could get to shut off, etc. Electronics reliability was a nightmare. Now, in defense of Mercedes, the build quality (paint, panel fit, etc.), was extraordinary. But I like to keep my vehicles ten years or more, and frankly, that car simply became unaffordable after three. So far my experience with my Performance model has been great (w/25,000 miles). I did have one initial issue addressed on a panel fit gap, but Service was fantastic to work with and I have no complaints. The real question will be after the car has 75,000+ miles on the odometer. I'll have to see how this plays out, but right now I have no regrets.

hat's why every seat has a heater in it. That's the smarter way to go about it in an electric.

Maybe the Model 3 can heat the feet better. My feet are always cold in the winter and seat heaters don't help that. (2016 Model S)

My wife refuses to even take the 3 for a test drive. She insists on another Lexus once the lease is up in 3 months. HAtes my model S. But a new Lexus every 3 years now for 12+ years and no more issues other than oil change, tires and brakes. My S has been good to me but still needed service at least once a year for something.