Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla": The word that will get you a better Mercedes lease.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe the Model 3 can heat the feet better. My feet are always cold in the winter and seat heaters don't help that. (2016 Model S)

My wife refuses to even take the 3 for a test drive. She insists on another Lexus once the lease is up in 3 months. HAtes my model S. But a new Lexus every 3 years now for 12+ years and no more issues other than oil change, tires and brakes. My S has been good to me but still needed service at least once a year for something.

I don’t understand how someone can just “KNOW” they won’t like it without trying it. My 2017 S has been really good to me for 2.5 years and haven’t had to take it in for anything other than tires and alignment. Service came to my house for the 12v battery replacement.

At $600 you are getting ripped off on the lease for a C class unless it's an amg. Go to leasehackr website and you can learn more about the ins and outs of leasing and what's a good deal. For reference you can get a C class with $0 down for $270 a month, or a 530ix for $267 a month, or a GLC 350e for $331 a month. Sounds boring getting the same car since 1997 and continuing to lease like that. Seems like you like to stick with what you know which isn't an issue, but maybe a Tesla isn't quite for you. Why not get a E or mix up with another model ever? I've been in my share of C classes and don't think they handle well, slower compared to competition, but have reasonable interiors.

First, you can't possibly know whether I am getting ripped off unless you know the sticker price and sale price of my car, the mileage I am allowed, and whether maintenance is included. I entered my information in leasehackr's calculator, and it estimate my payment should be $645 a month without the maintenance package. I am paying $30 less a month, which I assume is because I am a returning customer.

Second, with regard to your question "Why don't you get an E Class?"... An E Class costs more money. I don't like spending a lot on money on cars. a C Class is a nice car that doesn't attract too much attention. It's just enough car for me.

I don’t understand how someone can just “KNOW” they won’t like it without trying it. My 2017 S has been really good to me for 2.5 years and haven’t had to take it in for anything other than tires and alignment. Service came to my house for the 12v battery replacement.
People get set in their ways, and are afraid to take a (very small) risk and have to learn a new process.

My dad is so against it/Tesla he won't even take my own car on a test drive when I visit them.

Oh well

I see you are in the Los Angeles area. One caveat to Tesla ownership that I will throw out there is the current state of some of the service centers in LA. I am closest to Burbank and Van Nuys, and they are both over worked, under staffed, and very, very unorganized. It will not be the same experience you get at a traditional luxury car service center. It is difficult to get them on the phone, voicemails are not answered (or the box is too full), and emails go into a black hole. Often when we pick our cars up, items on the ticket have not been completed, causing extra hassle with rescheduling appointments, time off work, etc.

Knowing these shortcomings, would you still buy a Tesla?

I leased a Mercedes for 3 years... I instantly felt 20 years older driving it around. It was a great car but I'll wait until I'm 70 to get my next one.

I am 60. I don't have any illusions that a car will make me look younger or older.

I am perplexed by comments in this thread by people who advocate buying a Tesla because their daughters like them.

FWIW, my daughter think I should get the Mercedes.

Glad you took leap of faith and changed your mind. Why wait until November? When lease ends? Are you leasing as before or buying this time around?

I am buying a Tesla. My Mercedes lease does not run out until December.

I would not lease a Tesla. The numbers simply do not make sense. Example, a $39,000 Tesla leases for $595 a month. A $51,000 Mercedes leases for about $625 a month.

I, too, am coming from a 2016 C300 (lease) to the Model 3 (lease). My first EV; first alternative “fuel” car for that matter. There was a short overlap of time between turning in my C300 and having my Tesla - I had them both. No doubt, the Model 3 is so futuristic. But when getting back into my C300, there was an undoubtedly aura of refinement, years of experience, and solid engineering. But, I have no regrets. Welcome to the club!

Two questions:

1. Now that you have driven both, do you prefer the Tesla?

2. Why are you leasing? The lease payments are very, very high on Teslas.

Thanks.

Reactions: gaswalla
I am 60. I don't have any illusions that a car will make me look younger or older.

I am perplexed by comments in this thread by people who advocate buying a Tesla because their daughters like them.

FWIW, my daughter think I should get the Mercedes.

Well...your daughter knows you better than we do. Perhaps you should listen to her.

And up until just now, I don’t think we knew your age group.

I get what I want based on what I like. And I like driving a Tesla. Every other gas car before and since (that I’ve been in), feels antiquated.

If you are content with a Mercedes, then go for it. If you want to try something new and willing to take chances (for which you will hopefully not regret), then get a Tesla. I sure enjoy mine and actually love to drive again.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
If you are content with a Mercedes, then go for it. If you want to try something new and willing to take chances (for which you will hopefully not regret), then get a Tesla. I sure enjoy mine and actually love to drive again.

As stated above, I am probably going to get a Tesla. It's a fun car to drive. However, one of the main motivators is that the Tesla costs about 25% less month to own. (This assumes you can sell the Tesla for $10,00 in six years.)

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
First, you can't possibly know whether I am getting ripped off unless you know the sticker price and sale price of my car, the mileage I am allowed, and whether maintenance is included. I entered my information in leasehackr's calculator, and it estimate my payment should be $645 a month without the maintenance package. I am paying $30 less a month, which I assume is because I am a returning customer.

Second, with regard to your question "Why don't you get an E Class?"... An E Class costs more money. I don't like spending a lot on money on cars. a C Class is a nice car that doesn't attract too much attention. It's just enough car for me.

The leasehackr calculator should add up exactly the same when you put in the numbers of the monthly, residual, MSD, money factor etc. Its simply a calculator to show you what your actual monthly should be and that the dealer isnt short changing you with some random fees and to give you an idea what the total cost of the lease will be for the term you select. The calculator itself doesnt tell you if its a deal or not. The Leasehackr score would be more indicative if its a good deal or not. Just a general rule of thumb is after taxes and incorporating all the drive off costs your monthly payment should be 1% or under of the MSRP of the car to be considered a decent deal. So at $600 a month a good starting point for a solid leasehackr worthy deal would be for a $60,000 or higher MSRP car. Basically to achieve a deal is to get a car with a high residual value (value at the end of the term), be able to get a healthy discount on the car, and keep the money factor (APR) low. Follow those rule and you will come out ahead.

Here is some useful articles to break down how to beat the dealers when it comes to leasing:

Help! Am I Getting A Good Deal? — LEASEHACKR

How I Managed To Lease A $60K Mercedes for $289/Month — LEASEHACKR

I am buying a Tesla. My Mercedes lease does not run out until December.

I would not lease a Tesla. The numbers simply do not make sense. Example, a $39,000 Tesla leases for $595 a month. A $51,000 Mercedes leases for about $625 a month.

Two questions:

1. Now that you have driven both, do you prefer the Tesla?

2. Why are you leasing? The lease payments are very, very high on Teslas.

Thanks.
Very true re: lease prices on Tesla being very high. I cross-shopped my Model 3 ($42k sticker price) with a BMW 530e ($55k sticker price) and the lease payments and down payment were almost exactly the same. I still opted for the Tesla because it was pure electric, unlike anything I’ve ever driven before.

I prefer the Tesla because it’s completely different, something new, unlike the Mercedes experience. And the Tesla injects fun into driving...unlike a Mercedes, which you’ll need an AMG model for.
I’m leasing because it just suits my current lifestyle. I also don’t want to own the Tesla long-term - in case they go the way of DeLorean.

The P3D+ lease with 15k annual miles is pretty attractive. 3 years, monthly payment $685 w/ $3,500 down. After California and Edison credit the monthly payment is effectively $588. If financing, after 3 years the car would need to be worth ~$38k to break even with the lease. Kind of doubt I could ever get that much for a 3 year old Perf Model 3 with 45k miles. Especially if the $7,500 California credit passes, etc.

Not sure what changes we'll see in 3 years besides the 1 million mile battery pack and maybe air suspension. Unless they release a P3D++ to compete with the new BMW M3.

Last edited:
The P3D+ lease with 15k annual miles is pretty attractive. 3 years, monthly payment $685 w/ $3,500 down. After California and Edison rebates the monthly payment is effectively $588. If financing, after 3 years the car would need to be worth ~$38k to break even with the lease. Kind of doubt I could ever get that much for a 3 year old Perf Model 3 with 45k miles. Especially if the $7,500 California rebate passes, etc.

I have DWP, so I can't get the Edison rebate.

The California rebate is only available if your income is under $300,000, so I can't get that either.

But... that's a pretty good price. A lease on that model may be worth a look. Thanks!

I got red for my Tesla 3 and haven’t regretted it. At $2,000, it is only about $55/month over your 3-year time horizon.

I did get the black interior rather than white for two reasons: (1) Less worry and maintenance to keep clean, and (2) worry over light reflections from the white dash trim piece. But either interior looks great, with any exterior color.

I got red with white interior. I think you would be surprised how durable the white interior is. I have had the car only a few days and have probably had more people in it than my previous car. So far no damage and that includes transporting people after a 10 mile hike.

I do plan to ceramic coat the interior which will further enhance the durability. I have not noticed any glare or reflection in my side view mirrors. My side view mirrors are adjusted correctly - most of the driving public has the mirror turned in too far which totally defeats the prepose of blind spot detection. I wonder if this fact is contributing to the reflection issue? If the mirror is pushed out further I dont see how you can have reflection.

I have been driving a C Class Mercedes since 1997. I get a new one about every three years. I have leased 6 Mercedes C class sedans in a row. Collectively, I have driven these cars about 270,000 miles. I pay about $600 a month, including 10% California sales tax. I put no money down (other than first lease payment and license.) The payment includes all regular maintenance.

My lease is coming up to its end, and I was considering a Model 3. So I started monitoring this forum. About a week ago, I was about 75% certain my next car would be a Tesla.

However, the stories I read in this forum about all sorts of problems really cause me concern. Since 1997, not one Mercedes has ever broken down. In the 270,000 miles, I have never paid for maintenance or a single repair. Only one time did the dealer need more than a day to conduct a repair. (I left the car overnight, and was given a free Mercedes loaner.)

I have never had any problem even remotely close to the horror stories I have read here. If you scroll through this forum, about every 10th post is a complaint about some issue with the car, and or customer service. They include windshields cracking, paint issues, rattles, dings, vomit smells, etc.

Now, I do confess, no car is perfect. Mercedes can be problematic when you reach high miles. But I am talking about new car problems. The Model 3 appears to have a major quality control issue. The Mercedes does not.

There are also a lot of complaints in this forum about service. This is in contrast to my experience with Mercedes. Here's an anecdote: a few weeks ago, my sunroof shade wouldn't close. I brought the car to the dealer on my wedding anniversary, and told the service rep I needed it back by 2:00 (if possible) because I had a date with my wife. The service rep called me at noon to say the car was ready. (Also, I have had the same service rep for about 10 years, which helps.)

The good news: my salesman called after that service, because he saw the car was at 42,000 miles and asked when I was coming in for my next car. I told him I was growing bored with my C Class sedan, and was considering switching to a Tesla. Long story short: He offered me a C300 coupe for about the same price. (I must pay $1,000 cap reduction though.)

So, I am going to pass on purchasing a Tesla. Maybe in three years the company will get its act together. However, I do thank Tesla for getting me a bad ass C300 Coupe.
No offense but you sound kinda boring. Model 3 isn’t the car for you.

• Disagree
Reactions: GWord and Adam3