Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Theft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really sure why people do not use PIN to drive. It just seems a no brainer to me and takes less time to activate than putting a key in the lock of most cars. The only negative point if you have a car full of people that you may not want to disclose the PIN to, but there are other slightly less easy ways to avoid the need to enter the PIN in front of a car full.

I'm one of those people that doesn't as a day-to-day feature. I don't see the point as in my view (and my personal experience with theft), it won't actually make my current configuration any more secure based on my current driving habits. But it's horses for courses. Some areas are safer than others, and people have gone through different experiences of theft in their lives.

That being said, I have a road trip planned in May, and I will definitely be activating P2D, and deactivating any other convenience features for entry and drive.

Overall I think the Model 3 has enough of a feature set to make the car secure for any owner in any circumstance; as long as the owner knows what they're doing.

Linking nicely from taxi :)

If we do imagine this robotaxi fleet, I can also imagine a scenario where a car is booked using a stolen means of payment to a remote location it can discretely be stolen for parts. Tape over the cameras, disconnect the HV battery, into a trailer. Given no threat to life, I can't see the police responding instantly even if it did call for help.

I think once we get to the point of no driver at all there will be some kind of rider verification - you need a Tesla account to pay for the ride. Maybe face unlock before you get in. You would have to fake an entire account just to steal a taxi.

Do people steal Taxis today? I always imagined the target is something shiny, new and in a remote driveway with no cameras.

Also, people steal for parts, no-one will care about EV robotaxi parts.... Far too common, mass produced and therefore cheap.

A more lucrative robotaxi crime would be to leave some sort of scanner in the car .... Then do credit card and identity theft. People sit down, unlock their phones, access all sorts of stuff... Then track down and book the car to retrieve it.

Reactions: pow216
Some seem confused over the S/X key-fob hardware upgrade. That was to address the frankly embarrassing key length in the original version, that could be hacked with a laptop and radio transceiver in around 40 seconds. The newer fobs for those can take OTA updates, which was required for another cryptography breach. They don't use Bluetooth LE, so still need a Faraday cage/pouch. Personally I use PIN to Drive to handle the more probable opportunistic theft/joy-ride from discovered key fob(s) while out or at work. They're mightily slippery in their default form factor.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DJP31
Tesla's are so heavily reliant on
Some seem confused over the S/X key-fob hardware upgrade. That was to address the frankly embarrassing key length in the original version, that could be hacked with a laptop and radio transceiver in around 40 seconds. The newer fobs for those can take OTA updates, which was required for another cryptography breach. They don't use Bluetooth LE, so still need a Faraday cage/pouch. Personally I use PIN to Drive to handle the more probable opportunistic theft/joy-ride from discovered key fob(s) while out or at work. They're mightily slippery in their default form factor.

Agreed about the keys being super slippery. I got a rubber case from Abstract Ocean because, yeah it would have lasted all of about a day before I lost it somewhere otherwise.

My key-fob of M3 after a while is turning off it self.
Tomorrow i will try to find out after how many minutes... maybe less than 5 minutes.
1618048250140.png

FWIW for me people who don't use pin2drive must have never had a key or a phone stolen. About 20 years ago I was mugged near home and had keys and wallet taken, police told us not to worry about the keys as 'they'll dump them'. Next night our car was stolen from the drive, joy ridden, then torched.
Sure you can now disable keys more easily, but a Tesla card or key is distinctive enough for them to find a car before you get organised.

I read this thread with great interest, as on Tuesday morning at 3:47am my Tesla Model S was stolen from my driveway. Here's the puzzle - passive entry was switched off, I still have both key fobs and my phone safely with me (nowhere near the car at the time), and it had pin-to-drive enabled. So, did they tow it away? No - I have CCTV footage from neighbours which shows two thieves driving the car away. They were also on CCTV scoping the area out on the previous day. The side window was smashed (glass on the floor), we think the alarm sounded as another neighbour heard a wailing sound that woke her up at about the right time, but it must have been quickly silenced. When I called Tesla the morning after they told me there was a failed authentication alert at 3:10am, which tallies with CCTV which shows the lights flashing at that time, as if the alarm were triggered. The thieves worked inside the car for almost 40 minutes - doing what I don't know - but they eventually drive it away. When I discovered the theft at 8am the following day I immediately checked the app to track it - no response. And no response in the 4 days since then. I am stunned that they go away with it - they needed everything to go right for them to do it and I needed just one thing to go wrong for them to still have my car. I have been mulling over how they might have done it in the days since ... and it may not all be electronic wizardry, could there be some real-world physical things they did on the previous visit??

Mod comment - virtually the same post has been posted reviving two threads. I'll lock this one as the shorter existing thread and move the replies from today to the other thread which can be found here:

Status
Not open for further replies.