Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Theft

doats1

Sep 11, 2020
London
I'm not really sure why people do not use PIN to drive. It just seems a no brainer to me and takes less time to activate than putting a key in the lock of most cars. The only negative point if you have a car full of people that you may not want to disclose the PIN to, but there are other slightly less easy ways to avoid the need to enter the PIN in front of a car full.

I'm one of those people that doesn't as a day-to-day feature. I don't see the point as in my view (and my personal experience with theft), it won't actually make my current configuration any more secure based on my current driving habits. But it's horses for courses. Some areas are safer than others, and people have gone through different experiences of theft in their lives.

That being said, I have a road trip planned in May, and I will definitely be activating P2D, and deactivating any other convenience features for entry and drive.

Overall I think the Model 3 has enough of a feature set to make the car secure for any owner in any circumstance; as long as the owner knows what they're doing.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
a really good anti theft idea (ok shoot me now) would be the ability to display a false SoC, say 15 miles or less.
Chummy, having spent half the night getting in and working out P2D, gets two miles down the road and the fuel tank’s flashing empty. Nice one.

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill
Linking nicely from taxi :)

If we do imagine this robotaxi fleet, I can also imagine a scenario where a car is booked using a stolen means of payment to a remote location it can discretely be stolen for parts. Tape over the cameras, disconnect the HV battery, into a trailer. Given no threat to life, I can't see the police responding instantly even if it did call for help.

I think once we get to the point of no driver at all there will be some kind of rider verification - you need a Tesla account to pay for the ride. Maybe face unlock before you get in. You would have to fake an entire account just to steal a taxi.

Do people steal Taxis today? I always imagined the target is something shiny, new and in a remote driveway with no cameras.

Also, people steal for parts, no-one will care about EV robotaxi parts.... Far too common, mass produced and therefore cheap.

A more lucrative robotaxi crime would be to leave some sort of scanner in the car .... Then do credit card and identity theft. People sit down, unlock their phones, access all sorts of stuff... Then track down and book the car to retrieve it.

Reactions: pow216

Irata

Oct 16, 2020
UK
I would like the ability to
Also, people steal for parts, no-one will care about EV robotaxi parts.... Far too common, mass produced and therefore cheap.

Interesting you predict the Model 3 to become too common, mass produced and cheap.

Pink Duck

Jan 28, 2020
South Norfolk, UK
Some seem confused over the S/X key-fob hardware upgrade. That was to address the frankly embarrassing key length in the original version, that could be hacked with a laptop and radio transceiver in around 40 seconds. The newer fobs for those can take OTA updates, which was required for another cryptography breach. They don't use Bluetooth LE, so still need a Faraday cage/pouch. Personally I use PIN to Drive to handle the more probable opportunistic theft/joy-ride from discovered key fob(s) while out or at work. They're mightily slippery in their default form factor.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DJP31

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
Tesla's are so heavily reliant on
Some seem confused over the S/X key-fob hardware upgrade. That was to address the frankly embarrassing key length in the original version, that could be hacked with a laptop and radio transceiver in around 40 seconds. The newer fobs for those can take OTA updates, which was required for another cryptography breach. They don't use Bluetooth LE, so still need a Faraday cage/pouch. Personally I use PIN to Drive to handle the more probable opportunistic theft/joy-ride from discovered key fob(s) while out or at work. They're mightily slippery in their default form factor.

Agreed about the keys being super slippery. I got a rubber case from Abstract Ocean because, yeah it would have lasted all of about a day before I lost it somewhere otherwise.

GRiLLA

Jul 5, 2020
UK
My key-fob of M3 after a while is turning off it self.
Tomorrow i will try to find out after how many minutes... maybe less than 5 minutes.
1618048250140.png

GRiLLA

Jul 5, 2020
UK
FWIW for me people who don't use pin2drive must have never had a key or a phone stolen. About 20 years ago I was mugged near home and had keys and wallet taken, police told us not to worry about the keys as 'they'll dump them'. Next night our car was stolen from the drive, joy ridden, then torched.
Sure you can now disable keys more easily, but a Tesla card or key is distinctive enough for them to find a car before you get organised.

Mr Miserable

Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2019
UK
I think the solution to prevent your car being stolen and quickly exported is to always leave a ham sandwich in the car.
This will nowadays unfailingly attract the attention of EU customs officers and lead to the discovery of the stolen vehicle, since the supporting paperwork will not be correct.

I'm_Jp

Jan 17, 2020
Groton, MA
I think that if I were inclined to steal a high end car that has sophisticated, state of the art antitheft, that I would first "borrow" a tow truck, the kind with a flat bed, and just go a grab the car. If you really want to secure your car, you need to lock it up out of sight.

Reactions: Beady3647

Peteski

Oct 2, 2017
UK, Milton Keynes
FWIW for me people who don't use pin2drive must have never had a key or a phone stolen

I used pin2d for a few weeks when it first appeared, but found it really annoying so switched it off again. And yes you are correct, I've never had a key or phone stolen. But if I did then I could switch pin2d back on again until I was sure the key/phone was disabled.

Andywil

Jul 14, 2019
Leeds, uk
I used pin2d for a few weeks when it first appeared, but found it really annoying so switched it off again. And yes you are correct, I've never had a key or phone stolen. But if I did then I could switch pin2d back on again until I was sure the key/phone was disabled.
You can disable key, phone or fob from the security screen in the car as quickly as enabling pin2d.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC