Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you provide a source on this? I would like to read more about how this is supposed to work.

The only source I have is Teslabjørn running Scan My Tesla. Whenever he turns the heat on, battery coolant temperature drops to below current battery temperature. I assume the opposite will happen in warm weather. I think I've seen schematics confirming this property, but I can't remember the details. But surely there is a condenser too, has to be, what if you supercharge in hot weather with A/C on, there must be a way to get rid of the heat, or other extremes for the system, this is pushing the limits of my HVAC knowledge. Maybe someone can fill in the gaps. Unfortunately I have not yet seen any canbus info on the octavalve or heat pump, once it shows up I will add it to Scan My Tesla, but so far I have found absolutely nothing.

But surely there is a condenser too, has to be, what if you supercharge in hot weather with A/C on, there must be a way to get rid of the heat, or other extremes for the system, this is pushing the limits of my HVAC knowledge.
There is no air based condensor. There is a liquid cooled condensor that moves heat to the glycol loop and radiator.

They can. Bjorn shows it in his videos and calls it afterburners.

Yep, same way as the drive motors, by running it with an inefficient wave form.
I've not seen it with new HP equipped models (the ones that have 0W heat in case HP compressor stalls).

Fan in the HVAC box is around 20-30A. It is air cooled. It needs to run at high RPM for it to generate heat without
overheating (air cooled). And maximum heat output of that fan is less than 300-400W - that is not a heat source in cold weather.

Reactions: Dave EV
Just want to add Model X screen shot (from 2016.9)
It seems that chiller bypass (#4 in OP) doesn't exist on the X (tesla just re-used S layout pic) and only one AC condenser in the middle of the car.
See more details here:

1664037260019.png

And a question:
Does anyone know how to interpret the Temps shown for Stator/Rotor/Inverter?

9. Drivetrain. [...] Transmission (reduction gear and differential) doesn't require cooling though it gets some heat as it is between warm motor and inverter. Which raises the temperature of the oil and makes vehicle slightly more efficient. Also rotor temperature is shown (most likely calculated estimation) and Inverter electronics temperature (PCB).
There is a liquid-cooled heat sink next to the differential (on the inverter side of the gearbox) to cool the gearbox fluid:

1665435453615.png

Courtesy WeberAuto

Explanation of all coolant paths in the drive unit:

Good question, it's confusing. This is as far as I got:

View attachment 862220
well.. in my case temps on the right are red n not changing so maybe thresholds?
here's a screenshot after few quick hard pulls (fyi, this is MX 90D so 2 small DUs)

1665592049726.png

Based on the pic (from ebay) below n teardown video, looks like stator/rotor gets cooled indirectly by oil cooler n stator/inverter cooling is in parallel...

1665592253286.png

watch video @5:00 min

So my guess is Stator/PCB temps are from sensors mounted somewhere close to those and Coolant Exit is actual temp of coolant on exit...

Reactions: vanR
1,566 views Jun 2, 2023 WEBER STATE UNIVERSITY DAVIS
See the five modes of coolant flow in Tesla's heat pump system. Learn about how coolant is utilized in transferring heat energy to and from various powertrain and high-voltage battery components during cabin heating or cooling. This same process is also applied to powertrain and high-voltage battery heating and cooling. This heat pump technology is integrated into Tesla Models S, 3, X, and Y from 2021 and onwards.
TIMELINE:
0:00 Introduction
0:19 The components involved in the coolant loops
1:51 Series Mode - For cabin cooling and powertrain/HV battery cooling
2:17 Series Radiator Bypass Mode - For cabin heating
2:34 Parallel Mode - For cabin heating and powertrain/HV battery cooling
2:48 Ambient Source Mode - For cabin heating and powertrain/HV battery heating
3:14 Off Mode - For cabin heating
3:32 Video summary

S&X (some additions in yellow rectangle)
PPwgk6p.jpg

3&Y
JqPSX8D.jpg

Reactions: DownshiftDre