Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, this is what the production Model 3 should look like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the original design as grown on me over the past few days. But I think some subtle changes might improve it. Here I've kept most of the original elements and refined the details - the lip of the snout is slightly lower, at the same height as the contour under the headlights. Increased the size & height of the lower grille (they still need it for aero and cooling of the motor) and modified the shape to increase presence. Slightly raised the strip/indicator light, so overall the snout is about 30% shallower than before - about the height of a licence plate.

Tesla Model 3 Edit.jpg

I think the original design as grown on me over the past few days. But I think some subtle changes might improve it. Here I've kept most of the original elements and refined the details - the lip of the snout is slightly lower, at the same height as the contour under the headlights. Increased the size & height of the lower grille (they still need it for aero and cooling of the motor) and modified the shape to increase presence. Slightly raised the strip/indicator light, so overall the snout is about 30% shallower than before - about the height of a licence plate.

View attachment 170795
i did the hood extension/greenhouse reduction again, keeping all design intact using the image above. I know some like it as is but I'd love if we were surprised by some refinement. Either way great to see the potential, just goes to show what we will get in the future. I honestly wouldn't mind Tesla selling optional exterior (Alternate/Sport Bumpers, sides, etc) and interior parts (like a HUD or second screen) to order like their luxury competition. I imagine people would love to personalize it a bit and if Tesla can afford to make those too, I would consider it at point of sale.

model3v2.jpg

Hi uuz3 - totally agree that the BMW GT series (especially the 5) look hugely ungainly and ugly!

But they are massive - nearly 150mm taller than a Model 3 (and much longer) - so this doesn't help.... don't think it has anything to do with the rear deck as such. Just think the proportions and detailing leave to lot to be desired.

Personally I'm not mad about the 'fall-away' tail of the M3 (nor the MS) - serves no purpose and, in the M3, I feel it looks too 'small car'...

The higher tail looks OK in the Volt (or are they 'banned' from this site!) As posted by MrX (9 Mar) under "If the M3 does not look better than this"!
Volt.jpg

Last edited:
i did the hood extension/greenhouse reduction again, keeping all design intact using the image above. I know some like it as is but I'd love if we were surprised by some refinement. Either way great to see the potential, just goes to show what we will get in the future. I honestly wouldn't mind Tesla selling optional exterior (Alternate/Sport Bumpers, sides, etc) and interior parts (like a HUD or second screen) to order like their luxury competition. I imagine people would love to personalize it a bit and if Tesla can afford to make those too, I would consider it at point of sale.

The greenhouse reduction definitely does make the car look lower and sleeker. The original car's side window profile is a tad big/tall for the car's proportions. I understand it would be to provide more headroom for the rear passengers, since the rear seats are elevated to make room for the batteries. So it would become a case of form vs function - would lowering the roofline (by say 2 inches) compromise rear headroom too much? Alternatively they would lower the roofline but reduce the curvature and slope of the rear window (more sedan-like), but would that affect reaching their target Cd of 0.21?

I agree with you on optional exterior parts to customise the car rather than going 3rd party. I definitely think a second option for the front and rear bumpers should be made available, a more aggressive, sportier option, maybe at a slight expense of aero efficiency. Like the M Sport package for BMWs, AMG Pack for Mercedes, S-Line for Audi. Maybe make that an option only on the high performance models.

Reactions: J Huq
is it really shorter than the 3 series or is the "Egg" just a bigger greenhouse?
I found this scaled comparison on some SA article:

0oDrHiG.jpg

Here are the relevant bits from the table:

5wciU5N.png

Obviously these are just estimates from comparing wheelsizes and overlaying the cars, but they're probably somewhat accurate.

A BMW 320 is roughly 183" long x 57" high, so it would appear Tesla tried to make this car as small as humanly possible, which is why some of the proportions are weird.

Looks wrong to me! They have assumed the same wheelbase giving the M3 a shorter length and a lower height - extremely unlikely - it may even be marginally taller than the BMW due to the skateboard.

Any overlay should assume the same height and, maybe the same-ish length. Then the wheelbase will be far longer in the Tesla which I'm sure I've read somewhere anyway.......

I found this scaled comparison on some SA article:

0oDrHiG.jpg

Here are the relevant bits from the table:

5wciU5N.png

Obviously these are just estimates from comparing wheelsizes and overlaying the cars, but they're probably somewhat accurate.

A BMW 320 is roughly 183" long x 57" high, so it would appear Tesla tried to make this car as small as humanly possible, which is why some of the proportions are weird.

Hadn't seen this profile yet. They could certainly lengthen it then and still hoping for at least a 5% reduction on the greenhouse- that's only an inch all around: I applied my previous changes to see if it works on this profile, being even more conservative about reducing the canopy... and it certainly does help and a bit more honest about the rear trunk operation:
0oDrHiG2.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Daliman
Hadn't seen this profile yet. They could certainly lengthen it then and still hoping for at least a 5% reduction on the greenhouse- that's only an inch all around: I applied my previous changes to see if it works on this profile, being even more conservative about reducing the canopy... and it certainly does help and a bit more honest about the rear trunk operation:View attachment 170836
Elon keeps mentioning a better trunk design that can fit more stuff, so I hope that includes extending the back end a few more inches to give it a sleeker, more sedan-like look. Hopefully it doesn't mean raising the trunk up to make it more SUV-like!

The egg size is fine as is, it's just that the car is too short. Looks like your new change is spot on.

OK the nose has been done to death and there are some nice options. I agree that the original is OK and distinctive but I'm not sure I want my car to 'frown'.......!

By the way, I believe that the M3 is going to be very close to the BMW 3-series in overall length with a longer wheelbase and not much shorter as some seem to think.

BUT I would really like to see a higher rear deck for numerous reasons:-
More trunk space
Reduced 'balloon'/SUV visuals at the rear roof line (which seems to irk some people)
But mainly, I feel it gives a 'more mature' look and slightly less hatchback-like feel

Please excuse my coffee-table-crayon sketch - I can't do photoshop but maybe someone can oblige?!
View attachment 170791
I like that adjustment to the rear. Not sure how it would affect the appearance from behind though.

I'm going to stick my neck out here because I don't have facts.

But I am absolutely certain that the Model 3 is as long and as tall as a BMW 3 series so there is no way that the overlays above are correct - they are based on the wheelbase which is the one thing that is different................

Can someone photoshop/contrive an overlay with the M3 and BMW the same length and height so we can have a useful discussion re dimensions?

I love your design and would happily purchase it. I think it looks better than the Model S, and it is more in line with what I was expecting. I suspect that the current front end is a way of making the point to the wider audience that will see them everywhere in a couple of years that this is a fundamentally different vehicle than one powered by an IC engine. I think the dash with its lack of instrumentation and controls is trying to make a similar point. While I was taken aback when I watched the reveal, I find that the Tesla design has grown on me over the last few days. I'm beginning to like the idea of people asking me about it when I finally get to drive my own. Very curious to see what call the designers make in the end.

The James Anders is perfection. Someone asked about the front end to Elon on Twitter and Elon responded! Hopefully he's listen.

I have also sent my idea (implemented wonderfully by Mihai) to Elon and others.

Interesting...

In my place of business there are just one or two real Tesla aficionados (me an another guy). But a lot of people are aware of Tesla and follow the news. They often stop by to ask questions, etc.

They know I'm the "Tesla Guy" and everyone (small anecdotal sample size) who saw the Model 3 unveil commented how odd and strange the blunt nose looked. This is about a dozen people BTW.

No one said they liked the blunt nose. Not one. And I hadn't mentioned my revision idea at all. After they mentioned that they didn't like the blunt nose, I then pulled out my version (by Mihai) and all thought it was an improvement. Things people said were...

"The rest of the car is so sleek and flowing. The flat lip on the front looks out of place."
"Looks odd in the front. Like it hit a wall straight on."

Not bringing this up to brag but sometimes we're too close to things to be objective.

I really suspect if you took a poll of random people (not Tesla owners or forum members) I'm pretty confident that the vast majority would not go for the blunt nose version.

-Jim
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jim-anders-6705a013

Last edited:
Reactions: mdevp