Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla threat or just possibly, a new game player?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New GM Hummer - fully electric.

Shows a lot of similar things we've seen in the Tesla, but will GM be able to replicate the success of the Tesla EV with the hummer?

I personally, really like the look of it and the finish inside looks great. Also, if the range is indeed above 300 miles then thats a good thing, but i'd still say you're left with the charger network conundrum. The SC network is absolutely hands down the winner so without it, it's a lot of cash to part with for not as good a deal in the end.

Introducing the GMC HUMMER EV | Electric Truck

Thoughts?

I think in the UK its more of a menace than a threat. Massive.

I love the Cybertruck and this looks similar in functionality but its just too big for UK roads. Will go anywhere off road - Wont go through width restrictions.

I have a need for a "big" 4x4 but the Rivian is about the biggest thing I can see suitable for UK - or much of the rest of the world - roads.

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
If it's that inefficient and has a such a huge battery... it's going to take an age to charge it up.
good point. you could only get a 40% charge over night from a UK single phase 32amp charger and an 50KW rapid would take 3 hours for a 75% charge. Its going to need at least 150kw chargers to make it practical for road trips.
What do you think the motorway consumption would be 800wh/m?

What do you think the motorway consumption would be 800wh/m?

If we do the maths based on the M3, it's efficiency, battery size, then you're looking at 600 - 800wh/m. As you say, this isn't an EV "oh you don't need to fully charge it you just top it up" scenario, it's so inefficient that even that is thrown in jeopardy! At least with the lower capacity cars with limited range (Honda e, Mini e etc), the charging is quick. This. Not so much.

C;mon guys... it's a Hummer.. they don't do cheap motoring ICE is only a couple of miles per gallon if memory serves. This isnl't a chelsea tractor for practical shopping at Asda. What it does appear to be is a serious off-road vehicle for difficult terrain. It's only bragging money if you have stupid amounts of it but would be ace for rounding up stock on the fells and perhaps mountain rescue UK. Driving it down backstreets of London would be nigh impossible. Cybertruck is a different market - grown up kids who wished they had had a truck in their late teens and can afford one now.

..perhaps i could use one to pull my tractor out of the bog if anyone can get it down the lane to the farm

This will appeal to Americans currently driving huge gas guzzling trucks so costs to recharge probably won't matter much, nor will use on roads, parking lots or garages designed around such monsters... for some it's practicality & for many others, 'size matters' more than anything.

...I, on the other hand am regularly reminded by my wife that small to medium is perfectly acceptable!

It's inexplicable, but some people bought Hummers before, if those people now buy electric Hummers then all good.

My concern is are Tesla and Rivian validating this model, encouraging more people to think they need such huge vehicles, that electric or not are not very environmentally friendly. It still upsets me that despite all progress with lower emissions ice and electric cars to date that our total CO2 output from transport has increased, because it's fashionable to drive an SUV.

I think in the UK its more of a menace than a threat. Massive.

I love the Cybertruck and this looks similar in functionality but its just too big for UK roads. Will go anywhere off road - Wont go through width restrictions.

I have a need for a "big" 4x4 but the Rivian is about the biggest thing I can see suitable for UK - or much of the rest of the world - roads.
I know it’s a while a way and maybe even just a dream, but the Fisker Ocean looks very very promising and it’s a great looking car