Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla threatening my deposit

Is Tesla being unreasonable?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No I configured and paid a deposit over 8-9 weeks ago. I would rent if they ever gave me a date of delivery which they didn’t.

Ok, the revised timeline makes sense now. They passed the estimated delivery window and then went radio silent on you. I still think I would have tried harder to get in touch with someone at Tesla before acting, even if it meant going to the delivery center in person. Unfortunately the order agreement says the estimate is just that and not guaranteed, so you may be stuck.

While I think they're being unreasonable, I think it's also extremely idiotic of you to buy another car after putting a deposit you knew was nonrefundable. The sales advisors are under trained and incompetent from what I've seen, but you could have called your local delivery to see when your Vin was expected to arrive.

So that’s what I did. I called my local SA and he tried to call/email/escalate on my behalf. Then told me he had no luck either and understood I wanted to request a refund at that point.

Tesla playing hardball makes me wonder if they are hurting. I hope it’s not a sign of bad things to come as I absolutely want Tesla to succeed.

We do need to hear Tesla’s side of the story but your experience seems atypical from at least my experience.

2500 only buys them like one minute of operational time at cash burn levels.

You just need to talk to someone else at Tesla I think to get your situation resolved.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 7.56.32 PM.png

Billed for Merchandise You Never Received
Business Guide to the FTC's Mail, Internet, or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule

This is different to my experience.

I paid the 2,500 deposit, and then the remaining ~57k. There was a problem with my car and I was not able to pick it up on my scheduled delivery date (actually delivery got moved 3 times on me). They assigned me a new car which was ready a week later, but I was kind of upset at being jerked around, so I cancelled. They gave me a loaner to drive in the interim, and I had all money refunded within 2 weeks.

If for some low probability, Tesla "forfeit" your pmt, then you can call your credit card to get your money back. You did not buy the product or use the product so you can get your money back no matter what the heck the tesla contract says. Read your credit card agreement (not the tesla agreement).

I know cases of people having gym membership and forgot to cancel or did not use the gym. Even if they sign a contract to pay, if they didn't use the service, then they can request the money back. Of course, the gym will say no, but yoru credit card will give you money back. There are many layers between the credit card company and the business that will likely be on your side.

If for some low probability, Tesla "forfeit" your pmt, then you can call your credit card to get your money back. You did not buy the product or use the product so you can get your money back no matter what the heck the tesla contract says. Read your credit card agreement (not the tesla agreement).

I know cases of people having gym membership and forgot to cancel or did not use the gym. Even if they sign a contract to pay, if they didn't use the service, then they can request the money back. Of course, the gym will say no, but yoru credit card will give you money back. There are many layers between the credit card company and the business that will likely be on your side.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

If the credit card company gave you money, it was to shut you up. They did not recoup the loss from the gym. Try your luck with a $2500 charge and watch what happens.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
Their first sentence started as "I am an existing Tesla owner and.." so one would assume they are current owner. I can't fathom how they could sell a car that has been assigned to you to someone else. Makes no sense. It's not like a traditional dealer where car is sitting on a lot and someone else can just buy it.

Makes a lot of sense when you realize humans handle this assignment. Could have been as stupid as a copy and paste error.

This is really not the purpose of a the protection a credit card provides. He entered a contract that he knew the terms of, his credit card is not there to bail him out. In addition why could the OP wait two years but not 1-2 more weeks!? They could have easily rented, used Uber, or borrowed a car.

QUOTE="jsrawa, post: 2732736, member: 46655"]This is really not the purpose of a the protection a credit card provides. He entered a contract that he knew the terms of, his credit card is not there to bail him out. In addition why could the OP wait two years but not 1-2 more weeks!? They could have easily rented, used Uber, or borrowed a car.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know in strictly legal terms I am probably on shaky ground. My issue is about customer service. First I couldn't get a hold of anyone and I couldn't get a straight answer on the delivery timeline. Then instead of apologizing and making amends they are taking this approach with me. How about Tesla give me a loaner for the 2 weeks? - Which I requested at one point but heard nothing back.

I did not expect this level of service from Tesla and I am an existing owner who was buying a second car with them.

And no I am not short anything.

As a non-owner, 5th in line I had my fingers crossed for Christmas 2018. Getting an invite in February, Tesla was 10 months earlier then what I originally thought. I think there are about 400k people that put down $1k and now seem to forget the original 2020 timeline. Patiencs People!

• Love
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Tesla does not lose on dime on any color, any wheel dia Model 3 as of May 2018 by transferring to another of the 250,000 reservationists in the US. Then there is the contract. Then there is selling YOUR car to someone else, possibly nullifying the contract.

Send a registered letter, polite, with facts, and include what you consider an adequate resolution. Give them 10 calendar days to respond.
Then file small claims against them for your time losses shopping for another car and time shopping for the Model 3, loss due to buying a 'lesser' car (might be thrown out), the interest based on either the TSLA market climb, or mutual funds you hold. Supply written records. Now, you will also sue for violation of contract for the $3,500 deposit by selling your car to someone else.

Settle out of court for $4,000 or so in the lobby.

As a non-owner, 5th in line I had my fingers crossed for Christmas 2018. Getting an invite in February, Tesla was 10 months earlier then what I originally thought. I think there are about 400k people that put down $1k and now seem to forget the original 2020 timeline. Patiencs People!

My first quoted delivery window was Nov-Jan 2017/8. And I was not a line waiter, but I online ordered in the first 24h. Why a line waiter would expect a car in December 2018 is truly bizarre. Because the next delivery window was Feb-Apr, then the next was May-July. December 2018 for 5th in line??? Eh? Did you piss on Elon's shoes?

How many reservations do think Tesla would have scored in the first 24h of March 31, 2016, if they said, "we plan on selling $50,000 smaller, less powerful, less features, versions of our sedan in 4 years from now".

Unless less something seriously changes, many of the 500,000 who deposited $1,000 for a $35,000 car will not see a car until at least 2020.

I will admit to bailing on a 2014 car when it was 6 months later than I expected. They never told when it would be delivered. Both the salesman and myself agreed that a >Sept 2014 delivery for SN x257 made in November 2013 was ridiculous. There were 2015's on the lot available for immediate sale, and my 2014 was not available yet.

I forgot no timelines that Tesla directly contacted me with. I don't place orders through CNN or Twitter or Seeking Alpha.