Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla threatening to cancel order before 30 days of first attempt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you miss the other section of the order agreement, where it says you only have 90 days from your order date:

View attachment 853944

That sort of gives them an out to cancel your order whenever they want, since everyone's order is more than 90 days old.

And I just looked at the current order agreement, dated 9/15/2022, and they have made some changes:

New orders now only have 14 days to pickup:
View attachment 853945
And the other section leaves a lot to interpretation:
View attachment 853949
How long until you are considered unresponsive?

Looks to me like tesla is fully prepared for the the whole "end of year" dance that people are planning on doing. I have said this in a few threads now but this falls squarely in the "Reason XXXXX why we cant have nice things" category, with the "nice things" in this case being "some flexibility with tesla orders".

All the people delaying last year in an attempt to get a tax credit that did not materialize at that time, drove all these changes and lack of flexibility from tesla. Its apparent from these changes in the order agreement that they intend to turn "lemons into lemonade" from their point of view, turning all the "I need to delay because XXXXX reason" requests, into $250 cash payments to themselves.

For anyone thinking "Thats not fair" perhaps it isnt, but my opinion is, the next thing that will come of all this is a lack of locking in a price when ordered (which will pretty much solve this). My prediction is that "price locked when ordered" will likely go away.

If you’re not ready for a Tesla on the day you placed your order regardless of when you will get it, don‘t get a Tesla. Stop whining. All these posts about “should i wait for tax credit or not“, “should i delay”, “should i put it on hold” are annoying.

In case you didn’t notice Tesla doesn’t need to wait for you. Plenty of people are in line to get their cars.

FYI they are threatening to cancel because your order is on hold. They changed various policies last year to force unhold orders that were older than 120-150 days to prevent gaming of the ordering system.

It’s easy…just unhold the order. Nobody knows exactly when the next VIN will be assigned.

Did you miss the other section of the order agreement, where it says you only have 90 days from your order date:

View attachment 853944

That sort of gives them an out to cancel your order whenever they want, since everyone's order is more than 90 days old.

And I just looked at the current order agreement, dated 9/15/2022, and they have made some changes:

New orders now only have 14 days to pickup:
View attachment 853945
And the other section leaves a lot to interpretation:
View attachment 853949
How long until you are considered unresponsive?
Yes, I understand now. I misunderstood the order agreement.

Tesla is not in the business to place orders on "hold". They want to build your vehicle per your reservation - that's how they make money and count revenue.

From my experience, if you call your SA when you get a VIN assigned, they will release your vin to another order holder, and put you right back in line. With lead-times coming down on all models, don't be surprised if your next VIN assignment is relatively close. So if your not ready to take possession after the 2nd VIN assignment, they will cancel your order and keep the $250 non-refundable deposit.

Reactions: Drew0020
Tesla is not in the business to place orders on "hold". They want to build your vehicle per your reservation - that's how they make money and count revenue.

From my experience, if you call your SA when you get a VIN assigned, they will release your vin to another order holder, and put you right back in line. With lead-times coming down on all models, don't be surprised if your next VIN assignment is relatively close. So if your not ready to take possession after the 2nd VIN assignment, they will cancel your order and keep the $250 non-refundable deposit.
Good summary

FYI they are threatening to cancel because your order is on hold. They changed various policies last year to force unhold orders that were older than 120-150 days to prevent gaming of the ordering system.

It’s easy…just unhold the order. Nobody knows exactly when the next VIN will be assigned.
The next VIN will be much quicker than you expect (weeks, not months). The days of passing on a vehicle or VIN (regardless of reason) and waiting a long time for the next vehicle in line are diminishing rapidly. I can verify that from recent personal experience.

Worst case scenario - you cancel your current order, forfeit the $250 non-refundable reservation fee and place your order when you are ready to take delivery.

I see it the same way basically. It’s like you put an offer on a house and the seller agrees to sell it to you to close by X date. Then you ask for an extension. They accommodate you so you don’t lose your earnest money deposit. They are keeping your house off the market at that same price usually with the contract promise to close by new agreed upon X date. But then you still don’t want to close by that date, maybe hoping interest rates will go down in your favor, and ask for yet another extension. Might be better for you but it puts seller in a worse position. Of course they want to close, move themselves and not re-list; and I’m not surprised or think they should grant yet another extension.

Unless you have extenuating circumstances like having to work and need to travel out of state or country for it (has happened to a couple of members—and some have had to cancel and wait again sometimes), trying to push for further extensions due to hoping to get some gov’t credit isn’t fair or right to the company. Everyone knows quarterly sales results (by delivery not orders) are important to companies and Tesla is no exception. Tesla needs to plan ahead for these end of quarter/year end deliveries with staff on paperwork, licensing, delivery.

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit confused and annoyed. When notified that my delivery is coming up soon, I decided to put my order (for a Tesla Model 3 RWD) on hold. The website said it will be on hold until October 1st, almost exactly a month from my first delivery attempt. Well I just got notified that if I don't say "I'm ready" by September 18th they will cancel my order. All I'm asking for is another two weeks to figure things out but they make it seem like it's impossible. My order agreement says they may cancel my order if I don't accept an offer within 30 days of the first attempt. It definitely hasn't been thirty days yet they are still trying to force me to hurry up. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance,
Justin
Exact same thing happened to me. Tesla agreed to put a 4 week hold while I was away on a medical emergency, then shortly afterwards reduced the hold to 2 weeks. Threatened to cancel my order even though I was asking them to reinstate the originally agreed 4 week hold which they refused.

I caved into Tesla’s demands and had to lift the hold right on 2 weeks with the anticipation, based on what Tesla had advised, that a new VIN would then be issued in days. Instead my delivery period is now Nov-Dec so I was grossly misled.
I had a similar thing happen, could not take delivery when I received 3 day notice the vehicle was ready for pick up. The SA released my VIN to the next order holder, then the app showed the next time frame was 2-3 months away, and 10 days later I got the second VIN.

is EDD still 2-3 months away? also do you know if after your first VIN was released, would you be able to edit/change the order configuration?
Nope, once the second vin came, the EDD changed and was only 2 weeks away. I had not edits or changes to the config when I called the destination Tesla location and spoke with the SA - so that's something you would need to ask your SA. Surely depends on the model and config, however lead-times have come down drastically.

Tesla is pushing out cars like that scene from Lucille Ball where she's eating donut holes off the conveyor belt... and sales advisors have to wade through people trying to delay their orders for various reasons.

Every time someone needs "more time" to come pick up their order it creates a problem. Some of the delays might be for very legitimate reasons, but that can't really matter to Tesla (who isn't even able to verify the reason for delay).

Your ordered vehicle could be sitting at their delivery center taking up valuable space. That single parking spot might have been used to deliver 10 vehicles during your 2 week hold period.

I picked up my M3LR in Dec 2020 from their Mt Kisco, NY location and there were zero empty spaces in their lot... and that was before the 9 month backlogs started happening. I would guess they also have a much larger off-site lot, but it's still finite space.

It not only creates logistical problems to delay orders, it costs Tesla a lot of revenue. I think they should just charge a non-refundable $500 for the first two-week hold, then $1000 for the next two weeks, and so on. Paid upfront.

Especially with wait times as long as they are, it's hard for me to understand "I need more time". For someone to wait 6 months for the vehicle, then finally it's ready and they ask for more time and Tesla gives them 2 weeks, and then they're *still* not willing to take delivery... absolutely Tesla should cancel the order.

I've never heard of anyone asking a traditional dealership to hold a car for a month.

Their standard approach. They want to move your car before end of quarter. Don't care if it's to you or somebody else.

If you can't take it by then, don't. Maybe they cancel maybe they don't. If they do you still have the money.

Options are improving. There are cheaper options out there if long distance isn'ta big deal.
Yes you have the rest of the payment but loose your place in line and the $250 deposit. Making angry customers over a 2 week delay. The Tesla way.

• Funny
Reactions: ord3r
Making angry customers over a 2 week delay. The Tesla way.

To be fair, any constrained product that you deprive another customer of is going to be a problem for the manufacturer/ reseller.

Are there any other products where, during a 6 month backlog, the consumer is allowed to put one on hold for a month? Or even 2 weeks? I'd say Tesla is actually being generous in this case allowing any delay of pickup.

There are plenty of things Tesla does wrong, but I'm not sure that cancelling an order which is locked in at lower than market value when the customer drags their feet is one of them.

Tesla is pushing out cars like that scene from Lucille Ball where she's eating donut holes off the conveyor belt... and sales advisors have to wade through people trying to delay their orders for various reasons.

Every time someone needs "more time" to come pick up their order it creates a problem. Some of the delays might be for very legitimate reasons, but that can't really matter to Tesla (who isn't even able to verify the reason for delay).

Your ordered vehicle could be sitting at their delivery center taking up valuable space. That single parking spot might have been used to deliver 10 vehicles during your 2 week hold period.

I picked up my M3LR in Dec 2020 from their Mt Kisco, NY location and there were zero empty spaces in their lot... and that was before the 9 month backlogs started happening. I would guess they also have a much larger off-site lot, but it's still finite space.

It not only creates logistical problems to delay orders, it costs Tesla a lot of revenue. I think they should just charge a non-refundable $500 for the first two-week hold, then $1000 for the next two weeks, and so on. Paid upfront.

Especially with wait times as long as they are, it's hard for me to understand "I need more time". For someone to wait 6 months for the vehicle, then finally it's ready and they ask for more time and Tesla gives them 2 weeks, and then they're *still* not willing to take delivery... absolutely Tesla should cancel the order.

I've never heard of anyone asking a traditional dealership to hold a car for a month.
Wow, you got me feeling sorry for Tesla! They could sell the car and move the order to a different car in a month. You call this customer service? Looks like the "customer is king" is long gone according to you scenario anyway.