Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla tire cannot be repaired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can actually plug it without removing the foam. Easy. Don’t let shops tell you otherwise

Attachments

• 182759A1-7053-4603-A142-B1457E4F3962.jpeg
    182759A1-7053-4603-A142-B1457E4F3962.jpeg
    873.5 KB · Views: 293
Upvote 0
Stay away from large, nationwide chains like Just Tires. They seem to be establishing policies against repairing Tesla tires. I was turned away from one a few weeks ago, went to a smaller shop (a Goodyear franchise), and they plugged it in 10 minutes without even taking the tire off. I'm not sure why these chains have all of a sudden decided they can't work on tires with foam in them, but I'm guessing there have been complains from customers after repairs or something.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Upvote 0
I just had a nail hole repaired at Discount Tire while out of town. I'm still running the stock Continentals that came on the car and the tech said that they adhesive used on the foam liner was incompatible with their patches. However, I told them that I am getting new tires soon and just needed to get back home. They ended up repairing it with a "rope" repair and it seems to have worked fine.

What's interesting, is that I've had the stock Continental's repaired at a Discount Tire before and they never mentioned having a problem with the foam. Maybe my local DT has a different repair process / patches. Who knows?!

Upvote 0
I just had a nail hole repaired at Discount Tire while out of town. I'm still running the stock Continentals that came on the car and the tech said that they adhesive used on the foam liner was incompatible with their patches. However, I told them that I am getting new tires soon and just needed to get back home. They ended up repairing it with a "rope" repair and it seems to have worked fine.

What's interesting, is that I've had the stock Continental's repaired at a Discount Tire before and they never mentioned having a problem with the foam. Maybe my local DT has a different repair process / patches. Who knows?!
The adhesive used to hold the foam liner in place should not matter. When a tire is patched from the inside they remove some of the inner tire using a grinding tool. The patch is then fitted, glued down in the area where rubber was removed from the tire. Anyway, that is what I recall.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
Upvote 0
The adhesive used to hold the foam liner in place should not matter. When a tire is patched from the inside they remove some of the inner tire using a grinding tool. The patch is then fitted, glued down in the area where rubber was removed from the tire. Anyway, that is what I recall.
Good point! I should have thought of that. I guess you're brain is a bit scrambled when you are out of town and in a bit of a jam.

I'm not saying anything bad about Discount Tire but I feel like this location was trying to "upsell" me. They did mention ordering a new tire as the fix might not be permanent. So far, I've driven 200 miles on it and it's been fine so I think I'm OK.

Again, my local DT has done the repair several times without any problem whatsoever. It's very disappointing to have companies throw away good will for a cheap fix.

Upvote 0