Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Tire Repair Kit details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This conversation is only about 19" wheels, right? It was my understanding that the tires on the 21" rims cannot be patched. Or am I mistaken?

I believe they cannot be patched as a permanent fix. Best solution is the repair kit (it uses slime and air) to get to a tire shop or home. But I'm thinking rather than the whole compressor, just a can of compressed air/slime would do the same thing (for $12 on Amazon) for the 21". If the can can't fix it, then the compressor probably couldn't either...

Slime 60090 Large Tire Quick Spair - 20 oz

I believe they cannot be patched as a permanent fix. Best solution is the repair kit (it uses slime and air) to get to a tire shop or home. But I'm thinking rather than the whole compressor, just a can of compressed air/slime would do the same thing (for $12 on Amazon) for the 21". If the can can't fix it, then the compressor probably couldn't either...

At the store, I had the single use can in my hand, but put it back and picked up the Slime kit with compressor. It was only $30 or something like that, came in a nice zippered carry pouch and I figured it might be handy to have the compressor for topping off tires if I'm away somewhere.

I originally bought a single use can. One of my employee's cars had a flat. I gave it to a partner to try to help. It was cold soaked at 20*F and did not work.

I bought the Tesla kit for the future. I will replace with slime if needed. I like the logo.

Jerry (or anyone) can you confirm that the compressor included in the Griot's kit will run fine off of the Model S? (Won't blow a fuse.)

I don't have one, so I can't say. If the rating is 20% less than the fuse, it shouldn't blow.

A plug or slime should always be treated as a temporary repair. The reason is that a proper repair includes an inspection of the interior to confirm there is no hidden damage.

I went ahead and got the Slime version on Amazon, and used some sticker paper to Tesla-ize it. I would just buy the Tesla version if I didn't have to pay an additional $30 in shipping and texes for it. This is a quick and dirty "conversion" -- but at least it says Tesla and not Slime anymore. ;)

20130320_220235_resized.jpg
20130320_220307_resized.jpg

I'm sitting in the Fremont service center having a tire repaired. I had a small puncture from what looks like a small piece of plastic from a headlamp/tail lamp. It was a slow leak so I discovered it at home after the car had been sitting for a few hours. I debated calling tesla roadside service or trying out my tire repair kit. Since I was at home and not on the side of a busy road I opted to try out the kit.

I had purchased the Griot's garage tire repair kit which include tire plugs rather than the sealant spray. Having never done this before, I wasn't sure how long it would take or if it would even work. But about 20 minutes later I had a fully inflated tire. The only challenge I had was inserting the plug while the tire was fully flat. I found I had to turn the compressor on and inflate the tire as I was putting in the plug to keep some pressure in the tire.

I let the car sit overnight and only lost about 0.5 psi, so I drove it in today to have the tire inspected and a more permanent repair performed.

Btw, Fremont is super busy as they also do delivery prep. I've been to the service center several times and have never seen so many new cars in the lot. There's barely any spots left to park.

Which Griots package? They have 3 but I think none will work while the tire is on the car and when one is away from home:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.do?query=tire+repair

I ordered this one (which includes the compressor):

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product...air+compressor.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search

The air compressor works great and can be powered by the 12V port on the Model S without any problems.

The kit is meant to be used with the tire mounted, which is how I performed the repair. I rolled the car to a position where I could get access to the puncture. It was my rear tire, so it was a little more awkward than if it had been a front tire where I could turn the wheels. I set the suspension to "Very High" and rolled the wheels so that the puncture was about 6" above the ground facing the rear of the car. You do have to pretty much lie down on the ground to do this repair, so I wouldn't attempt it on a busy freeway.

The only challenge I had is that they recommend doing the repair with 10psi of pressure in the tire. But as soon as I removed the cause of the puncture and used their reaming tool to expand the hole to accommodate the plug, all the air had run out of the tire. I was trying to push the plug in and with no tire pressure and you just end up pushing the tread in until it hits the rim. I fired up the compressor and started inflating the tire, and I found that if I pushed the plug tool against the hole with moderate pressure it would not leak and allow the tire to inflate. Once it was about 25 psi, I just gave the tool a hard push and it slid right in no problem, pulled the tool out and the plug stayed in place. Success! :)

It's not something I would want to use as a permanent repair, but it seems to work well enough to get you to the service station. Now that I know how to do it, I could probably fix a simple puncture like that faster than I could change a traditional spare. Of course, if it had been a sidewall puncture or a complete blow out, then I would have needed a flatbed.

BTW, Tesla charged me $35 to inspect/repair the tire. I also had them rotate the tires (I'm about 4k miles) at the same time for an additional $40.

Last edited:
Is this kit even worth it? I'm on the fence about buying it. Tesla provides roadside assistance. My insurance also has roadside assistance. So I can always have my car towed either to Tesla or to a tire shop. Other than the time I would have to wait for a tow truck to arrive, what's the value add of having the kit?

Is this kit even worth it? I'm on the fence about buying it. Tesla provides roadside assistance. My insurance also has roadside assistance. So I can always have my car towed either to Tesla or to a tire shop. Other than the time I would have to wait for a tow truck to arrive, what's the value add of having the kit?

Perhaps you're in a hurry to get where you're going, or you're in an area with no cell phone coverage...

I bought this slime smart tire repair kit from Walmart for $29.99. Upon opening the package up, it says the motor is 15amps. If the accessory fuse is 15amps, will it be ok? Or should I return it and get one with lower amps? Where is the fuse any way?

Tesla uses standard automotive-type fuses and they are located under the plastic panel up where the washer fluid goes in. The Tesla manual documents these fuse panels and identifies which fuse is for what.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure Tesla has engineered the accessory 12v socket to be consistent with the general automotive market, and the Slime compressor should be designed to work in cars with these 12v sockets.

I have the exact same Slime kit in my trunk. I also have a more powerful 12v compressor that I keep in my garage, and I used it on my Model S last week with no issues at all.

At the store, I had the single use can in my hand, but put it back and picked up the Slime kit with compressor. It was only $30 or something like that, came in a nice zippered carry pouch and I figured it might be handy to have the compressor for topping off tires if I'm away somewhere.

I bought the $50 Tesla Kit. Is there a way to replace the can of SLIME? Is seems like the can is ONE AND DONE so basically you have an air compressor after your first flat.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have a nail in the tire, it has to be removed. Your tire will be fine if plugged properly. If you are a real stickler, then take it to a shop and have an internal patch put on. But for 99.9% of the folks, a plug will last as long as the tire.

Sealant wont remove the nail, which is still a trip to a tire store where they will likely put a plug in .....and, in my experience, sealant rarely actually works unless the leak is insanely slow.

If you actually get a puncture ...say running over a board with a nail and there's an actual hole, you may be able to cram the neck of the sealant tube in there to slow the leak, but you aren't going to stop it.

Steve - the purpose of the tire sealant is for a quick fix just to get you to a tire repair center or Tesla's Service Center. So removing the nail is not the issue. The sealant will adhere to the nail and seal in the air. It's not a permanent fix.

I bought the $50 Tesla Kit. Is there a way to replace the can of SLIME? Is seems like the can is ONE AND DONE so basically you have an air compressor after your first flat.

With the Slime-branded kit, you get a bottle of (replaceable) Slime and a compressor. You squeeze the Slime into the tire after removing the valve stem with a supplied tool, then, after replacing the valve stem, you fill it up with the compressor and run for a mile or so to spread the goop around. After that, you may have to top up with the compressor again.