Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla tire repair kit doesn't work with refreshed Model S 15.5V "12V" outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2022 refresh Model S came with the Tesla tire repair kit. Today when I plugged it into the "12V" (really 15.5V per manual) outlet and tried to add air to the tires ir ran for a few seconds then stopped. I could not revive it. Someone else posted about the outlet destroying radar detectors. Anyone with a refresh S had success using the repair kit with outlet? Or any 12V accessory?

Since I bought the car in Maryland Tesla is required to provide a spare or a repair kit, so it should be covered by warranty, but I am concerned they will replace it with another kit that doesn't work.

If it's provided with the car, you could go through a service request. That'll help them understand the issue and eventually fix it. You'll need a pump that accepts up to 16V.

EDIT: Alternatively you could buy a portable battery that you charge using the 12V (15.5V) but that provides a more common real 12V output. But that is additional cost to you.

EDIT 2: I have a manual bicycle air pump in my lower trunk space. That always works...

Should be fine. ICE cars charge as high as 14.7 volts. Any “12V” automotive device should handle that range.

That pump from Tesla is surely OEM’d. Generic Chinese junk ;)
That was what I thought. I have a mobile appointment scheduled for Monday, so with luck they will give me a replacement that works for more than 10 seconds, or fix the outlet. And yes, nothing special about the pump. Junk, but relatively good looking junk

My 2022 refresh Model S came with the Tesla tire repair kit. Today when I plugged it into the "12V" (really 15.5V per manual) outlet and tried to add air to the tires ir ran for a few seconds then stopped. I could not revive it. Someone else posted about the outlet destroying radar detectors. Anyone with a refresh S had success using the repair kit with outlet? Or any 12V accessory?

Since I bought the car in Maryland Tesla is required to provide a spare or a repair kit, so it should be covered by warranty, but I am concerned they will replace it with another kit that doesn't work.
I have a Feb 2022 MSLR. I bought the tire kit. It did not shut off but the plug came apart when I pulled it out. I put it back together and it came apart again. The plug is designed badly. I returned it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GtiMart
Mobile service came to the house today and gave me a new tire repair kit. The new kit also says it is for 12V. It seems to work when plugged in the accessory outlet. I didn't try to use it to add air to the tires, so maybe it will fail when there is a load on it? Maybe the first one was just a defective pump?

The service guy had never heard of a problem with the outlet, thought it was a regular 12V outlet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It is a "regular 12V outlet", so it doesn't exactly output 12V :p As others said the voltage on ICE cars can be between say 12.5V and 14.7V when the system is charging the battery. The newer lithium-ion battery charges at something like 15.5V. It's not much of a difference but it seems to be enough to prevent some devices from working...

Some of those air compressors require it to be connected to the tire before plugging it in or hooking it up to the battery. I have a Harbor Freight one and if you turn it on before you hook it up to the tire the fuse in the tiny compressor will blow.
Yup, my Harbor Freight has a hard card with those instructions. I put it in the top of the carry case, it's the first thing I see when zipping it open.

Does anyone have a recommendation on tire repair kit for the refresh S/X that can support 16V? This is one of those things that you don't know how good/bad it is until you really need it.
I bought one from Harbor Freight. It was about $30 with coupon and works fine. You must turn it on before it's screwed onto the tire's valve stem.

Reactions: wilsonEV
The note on the card says the fuse might blow. It's weird, I've not seen that before. And it's weird in use too, but it does work.
20220923_064502.jpg

Before? Why before?
Just a guess...knowing the amount of chinesium that goes into HF products.

The motor is so cheaply made it probably cannot take both the starting current draw and the current draw required to overcome high pressure in the lines.

A proper design should account for this, just like a proper low voltage power design should mimic voltage out put of a SLA. Lots of Lion batts out there that will not put out anymore than 14.2V.

Reactions: WilliamG

I have the exact same problem, except I paid $80 for this piece of junk. Tesla should not be selling this, on Youtube someone said there is a design defect. Doesn't Tesla do any due diligence before putting their name on it? I hope Elon reads these posts.

Reactions: zoomer0056