TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla tire repair kit

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Rhytid, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Rhytid

Rhytid Member

Does the Model 3 Performance come with the tire repair kit?

2. DeanP

DeanP Member

No it does not.

3. Skitt

Skitt Member

In Maryland I believe it comes with as required by law.

• Like x 1
  4. DeanP

DeanP Member

I believe Maryland must provide a spare tire but I have never heard of a law stating an auto manufacturer MUST provide a repair kit.

I'd take a spare tire! But the car did not come with one nor the equipment to change it. Suppose you can call your insurer or use that Tesla App.

5. Rhytid

Rhytid Member

That must be the case because mine came with the repair kit and I was confused as I thought it did NOT come with it.

6. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

Isn’t the tire repair kit the goop machine that won’t work with noise suppression foam lined tires that ships with all OEM tires?

7. stevevets

stevevets Palindrome

New cars sold in Maryland must come with either a spare tire, run flat tires or a tire repair kit. I didn't get one at delivery because the kit was out of stock, but I called up my service center later and they gave me one for free.

Source: 2010 Maryland Code :: TRANSPORTATION :: TITLE 22 - VEHICLE LAWS - EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES :: Subtitle 4 - Other Equipment :: Section 22-405.3 - Spare tires.

• Informative x 1
  8. DeanP

DeanP Member

9. stevevets

stevevets Palindrome

10. DeanP

DeanP Member

Sweet...Gotta get me one. Christmas is coming!!!

Thanks for educating me.

11. neurocutie

neurocutie Member

Does the M3 even have a compartment in its trunk for a spare? or just a donut?

12. DeanP

DeanP Member

Inside the trunk there is another storage area below the trunk floor. I suppose you could put a donut there; not sure it would fit. You could lust lay a (spare) tire in the trunk area if you don't mind it taking up a lot of space.

13. stevevets

stevevets Palindrome

Many people have reported that this compartment isn't large enough for a spare. If you want a spare, it's going to take up trunk space.

14. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Never been able to understand how this product does not cause issues with the foam inside the tire? It's not even mention foam friendly.

15. stevevets

stevevets Palindrome

I'm not sure. Luckily I haven't had to test it, and my tires will need replacement soon (with only 16k miles...sigh...) so I likely never will. It's probably better than nothing though.

16. DeanP

DeanP Member

I heard it leaves a mess inside the tire. Tire shops hate seeing it.

17. mswlogo

Not really. Just false hopes that it will work.

18. Thumpernator

Thumpernator Member

I hate that Slime stuff. Tire mechanics hate it, too, it makes a total mess on the wheel and can also mess up the TPMS sensor. I think you're better off with a tire plug kit and air pump.

19. mswlogo

I hate it to, and I do carry a plug kit, pump and a jack. But I also carry a can of slime too depending on circumstances it might be safer to use slime and I wouldn’t care if the tire and/or TPMS is ruined. My winter tires have no foam. And the Summer tires won’t have foam when they are replaced.

20. Duckster

Duckster Member

Are there any issues to putting run-flats on Model3? For MB and BMW, they are standard when new since there are no spare tires left in this world.