Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Tires at Costco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I'm looking to replace my Tesla Model 3 tires at Costco. There are 2 options I'm considering:

Bridgestone POTENZA RE980AS, 235/45R18, 98W, all-season, blackwall tires.
Michelin Primacy MXM4, 235/45R18/XL, 98W, all-season, black sidewall tires.

The original tires on the car were the Michelin ones above, but the Bridgestone is significantly cheaper, so I'd prefer the Bridgestone tires if possible.

My question is whether the XL rating ("Extra Load" ??) on the Michelin is REQUIRED for the Model 3. I didn't find that info listed elsewhere.

I live in a moderate climate area (SFO bay area), with almost no snow/ice on the road.

Any guidance appreciated!
Thanks,
Neil.

I purchased the MXM4 tires from Costco, there really aren't that many options but they get the job done. They are louder than the stock M3 tires on the road, but from what I gather the stock tires were softer with a shorter life? Costco does give you free tire rotations, which beats Tesla's $120+ service fee.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
Another consideration is sound, especially in a car that doesn't have a noisy ICE. Tirerack has info on sound and other variables.

I see this point coming up a lot, "noisy ICE". Modern engines and sound deadening have gotten ICE cars so incredibly quiet. My Acura MDX with the 3.5 v6 was barely audible. Unless I was in the garage, I would have told you the engine was off.

Load index is also a function of rated speed and max inflation pressure (in addition to the vehicle's static weight). So, I'd be careful when putting something on that is less than OEM rated especially given that Tesla specs higher than average tire pressures. You may be ok but I'd do some research on the specific tire before just taking for granted that a tire shop is willing to put the tire on your vehicle.

Recently went through this with Costco. If you search by vehicle, they will only show you tires carrying the XL rating. So I’d you select the M3 and see the tire, it’s fully rated for it.

I went for the Bridgestone Driveguards because they’re runflats. Would have probably gone with the non-XL rated Ecopia if they would have installed them, but was told that they wouldn’t do it.

Recently went through this with Costco. If you search by vehicle, they will only show you tires carrying the XL rating. So I’d you select the M3 and see the tire, it’s fully rated for it.

I went for the Bridgestone Driveguards because they’re runflats. Would have probably gone with the non-XL rated Ecopia if they would have installed them, but was told that they wouldn’t do it.
How is the noise on the runflats?

I think I've seen guys on here say they've ran non-XLs with zero problems for many miles - try a search. If they give you grief, bring in the wheels as a loose set and they'll mount whatever you want. They started huffing and puffing when I mentioned I wanted 265/35 19s for my TM3 & calmed down when I told them I'm just bringing the wheels. They mounted them, no problem. Don't want them touching my car, anyway.

A very comprehensive lit of tire ratings

Link in case the image isn't sufficient: https://external-preview.redd.it/_U...bp&s=a13d904bdc620478c09dfd78e76bcd82ed46cc3a

Tires.png

I think I've seen guys on here say they've ran non-XLs with zero problems for many miles - try a search. If they give you grief, bring in the wheels as a loose set and they'll mount whatever you want. They started huffing and puffing when I mentioned I wanted 265/35 19s for my TM3 & calmed down when I told them I'm just bringing the wheels. They mounted them, no problem. Don't want them touching my car, anyway.

Yup, completely agree with this. My second choice from Costco was the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus, which does not carry and XL load rating. Max load for this tire is 1,477 pounds at 51 psi. That will provide enough capacity for 5900 pounds at max load for all four, and my car is nowhere near that. An LR model would be closer, but still nowhere near the max of the regular load range.

I’m sure there are valid reasons for the XL spec, but I can’t imagine a safety problem running a tire within its industry standard load range. Costco wouldn’t do it, and I’m happy with my choice, but I wouldn’t let the XL load range dictate your options if you prefer something different.

Specs for the EP422:
Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 7.30.10 AM.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-14_7-26-36.png
    upload_2021-2-14_7-26-36.png
    221.4 KB · Views: 2,164
Costco will not install tires that don't meet the manufacturer specs. Otherwise, you should be able to special order, from the brands they carry.
Yes I heard the same thing at our Costco. I don't know about the OP location, but out here, I haven't found Costco to have the best prices one the three occasions we have needed to replace tires on cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4
I have found most of the majors (Big O, America's Tires, Discount Tires, etc) will match Costco pricing (if Costco is lower).
Good to know. And they probably won't make you buy a gigantic crate of 32 tires even though you only need 4. :eek:
OK, it's a joke of course. I love Costco. Just not for tires. :) But they sure get a LOT of tire business.