Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Tires at Costco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up choosing the CrossClimate2 - it looks superior to the A/S 4 and addresses the noise issue from the CC+. See: Michelin-comparison

CC2 also has 60k miles warranty vs 50k and 45k for the other two.

Since one of my tires was purchased from America's Tire, they gave me a warranty credit of $165 on my new purchase. They couldn't stack the credit with any price match discounts, so I figured that this was the best that I could get.

I figure that I may need to replace the CC2's at 30k miles, upon which they'll rebate me half of my purchase amount towards a set of new tires.

WDYT? - Is CC2 the best?

I see this point coming up a lot, "noisy ICE". Modern engines and sound deadening have gotten ICE cars so incredibly quiet. My Acura MDX with the 3.5 v6 was barely audible. Unless I was in the garage, I would have told you the engine was off.
It seems like your talking about at idle when there wouldn't be any tire noise to compare it to. My old Camry was very quiet too, sitting in the driveway, but I could hear the engine when I was driving on the highway. My 3 has its own sound profile, different than and ICE and not silent by any means but it is quieter.

Aloha,
My first post here and I was wondering if anyone has liked these tires from Costco BFGoodrich - g-Force Sport COMP-2? On the Costco site is says "original fitment". These are Summer, but I figure since it doesn't often even get into the 50's here that should be fine? They also have the Pilot Sport 4S Summer for more money and for some reason doesn't have the "original fitment" tag. Today only is a $150 sale for all Michelin so I hope someone sees this and has some advice. I was going to get the Pilot Sport A/S but today they show out of stock.
Mahalo!

Aloha,
My first post here and I was wondering if anyone has liked these tires from Costco BFGoodrich - g-Force Sport COMP-2? On the Costco site is says "original fitment". These are Summer, but I figure since it doesn't often even get into the 50's here that should be fine? They also have the Pilot Sport 4S Summer for more money and for some reason doesn't have the "original fitment" tag. Today only is a $150 sale for all Michelin so I hope someone sees this and has some advice. I was going to get the Pilot Sport A/S but today they show out of stock.
Mahalo!
I've never seen anyone mention that tire.

The PS4S is the gold standard for summer tires, especially for overall performance and handling. There are other tires that are better for range, sound, long life etc. If you can get them on sale, do it.

If you won't encounter snow, then you don't need an all season tire.

Reactions: afadeev

The PS4S is the gold standard for summer tires, especially for overall performance and handling. There are other tires that are better for range, sound, long life etc. If you can get them on sale, do it.

Thank you so much for your reply! It appears the A/S are now available and about $100 less, which isn't much. I guess just looking at longer life and efficiency favor the A/S but the performance and handling obviously favor the PS4S. Decisions, decisions...

FWIW, I had a very bad experience at the Cumming, Gerogia Costco tire center. They essentially lied to me, claiming that a tire I wanted was discontinued and then trying to convince me that no one would put that tire on a Tesla (all the while having a glowing add for that same tire taped just above the register). And they were rude about it as well. I called the tire manufacturer and talked to their customer service folks who told me that not only was the tire NOT discontinued, it was a popular fitment on the Tesla 3 for 19" wheels. My next stop was Discount Tire who not only had the tires, but beat the Costco price (which was already discounted by $150 because of the current sale) by another $100. I've bought tires at Coscto for decades but Costco has now lost my tire business for life, to Discount Tire's gain! BTW, I got to watch when Discount Tire mounted my new tires and they did a very competent and careful job.

Hello,
I'm looking to replace my Tesla Model 3 tires at Costco. There are 2 options I'm considering:

Bridgestone POTENZA RE980AS, 235/45R18, 98W, all-season, blackwall tires.
Michelin Primacy MXM4, 235/45R18/XL, 98W, all-season, black sidewall tires.

The original tires on the car were the Michelin ones above, but the Bridgestone is significantly cheaper, so I'd prefer the Bridgestone tires if possible.

My question is whether the XL rating ("Extra Load" ??) on the Michelin is REQUIRED for the Model 3. I didn't find that info listed elsewhere.

I live in a moderate climate area (SFO bay area), with almost no snow/ice on the road.

Any guidance appreciated!
Thanks,
Neil.
XL load rating is required. The Tesla is heavy, you don't want your car tire to fail while driving, do you?

• Disagree

Fotunex, you mention other tires that are better for range, longer life. What would those be? (for 18 inch - no winter/snow)

Fotunex, you mention other tires that are better for range, longer life. What would those be? (for 18 inch - no winter/snow)
I don't have any specific tires for you, but I do know:

The stock tires are the most efficient and have the lowest rolling resistance. If you want efficiency, stick with stock. There might be some other tires out there (maybe the new EV ones) that I don't know about, though.

Check out Tirerack.com for starters. Michelin is probably the best manufacturer.

Hello,
I'm looking to replace my Tesla Model 3 tires at Costco. There are 2 options I'm considering:

Bridgestone POTENZA RE980AS, 235/45R18, 98W, all-season, blackwall tires.
Michelin Primacy MXM4, 235/45R18/XL, 98W, all-season, black sidewall tires.

The original tires on the car were the Michelin ones above, but the Bridgestone is significantly cheaper, so I'd prefer the Bridgestone tires if possible.

My question is whether the XL rating ("Extra Load" ??) on the Michelin is REQUIRED for the Model 3. I didn't find that info listed elsewhere.

I live in a moderate climate area (SFO bay area), with almost no snow/ice on the road.

Any guidance appreciated!
Thanks,
Neil.

Both tires have 98 Load index means they can support 750kg.
Model 3 AWD specifications have max mass of 1110kg on front axle, meaning 555kg per tire; and 1257kg on rear axle, meaning 628kg per tire.

Both tires are appropriate for the car.

On Bridgestone's website, that size is listed as having XL. Which is a really sorta redundant and confusing thing anyway, as are some other things in tireland (such as evolution of zr/y/(y) speed rating). It implies load AND tire pressures, yet similar tires with standard (SL) vs extra (XL) rating would have almost identical pressure support. These tires support 50psi which is also appropriate for the car. By the way Bridgestone will list "XL" vs "EXTRA LOAD" for different tires, so go figure...

My last 4 sets of tires have been through Tire Rack, shipped to a mobile installer and done here in my driveway. Well, the last set went to a local shop vs here. But they consistently beat Costco. I won't need tires for my M3 any time soon I hope :). but that will be my starting point.

It seems like your talking about at idle when there wouldn't be any tire noise to compare it to. My old Camry was very quiet too, sitting in the driveway, but I could hear the engine when I was driving on the highway. My 3 has its own sound profile, different than and ICE and not silent by any means but it is quieter.
At highway speeds, wind and tire noise far exceed the sound of the power plant.
Tire noise is the same across all cars, and depends on the tire itself, the road surface over which you ride, and sound deadening around the wheel wells.

Unfortunately, Model 3's glass roof is not as effective in wind-noise deadening as most modern cars metal/CF roofs are, so it is WAY noisier at highway speeds than any of my ICE cars.
It is what it is.

FWIW, I had a very bad experience at the Cumming, Gerogia Costco tire center. They essentially lied to me, claiming that a tire I wanted was discontinued and then trying to convince me that no one would put that tire on a Tesla (all the while having a glowing add for that same tire taped just above the register). And they were rude about it as well.
I've had "hit and miss" experiences with Costco tire shops, pretty much the same as with tire shops of all other national chains. It all depends on the competency and decency of the folks who work at a particular location.

A good place to check would be your local SCCA / BMW CCA / PCA chapters. Ask around, and see what tire shops the performance car folks patronize, and go there.

XL load rating is required. The Tesla is heavy, you don't want your car tire to fail while driving, do you?
Please don't spread the FUD.
If the tire load and speed ratings are sufficient for your car's weight and driving speeds, you are all set.

There is nothing "magical" or especially "safe" about any particular load or speed rating letter or number. They all stand for something.
The load index explanation link is below, but all Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires are labelled as 90+ load rated (they go higher than based on exact size, upto 104). Load rating of 90 is equivalent to 1,323 lbs or 600 kg per tire, which is far in excess of 1110kg / axle or 550 kg / tire on AWD Model 3's.
In other words, it's all safe and good!

a

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Wanted to leave this here for anyone else buying Pilot Sport 4S tires @ U.S. Costcos. As of Jan 2022, the "acoustic" PS4S tires (the "T0" style) are SKU 1237608. I called to find this out since the web site showed 3 different SKUs for the PS4Ses and I couldn't tell the difference.
This is in contrast to BJs Wholesale, who when I checked only had one model of PS4S and it's the "N0" variety. HTH.