Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Tires at Costco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traveling last year on my 48 state trip (11,000 miles approx), I needed tires about 2/3 of the way.
Was hesitant about crossing the southwest in the heat with isolated areas.
I tried to contact service centers in the direction I was heading starting from southern Mississippi heading west. After going thru Louisiana and into Texas, I gave up on attempts at communicating with the SC's and went to Costco in Houston. Got done in less than 1/2 hour. 5,000 miles later still doing fine.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Wanted to leave this here for anyone else buying Pilot Sport 4S tires @ U.S. Costcos. As of Jan 2022, the "acoustic" PS4S tires (the "T0" style) are SKU 1237608. I called to find this out since the web site showed 3 different SKUs for the PS4Ses and I couldn't tell the difference.
This is in contrast to BJs Wholesale, who when I checked only had one model of PS4S and it's the "N0" variety. HTH.
”TO” being the acoustic Tesla Spec correct? I believe “NO” is the Porsche Spec.

Ski

Latest info about Costco Tesla tire policy...
as I just replace my tires at Costco for Model 3 SR+ with set of Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (at $237.99 each), total including tax and misc fees came out to about $965. I just don't know if I had a bad representative/manager to help me or not, but he and the manager kept insisting that I should get the Michelin Primacy MXM4 (which total cost about $1250) and he also told me that bc Tesla recommend the Michelin MXM4 for Model 3, if u replace it with any other tires other than the MXM4, your warranty of tire wear thru Costco is not valid bc it does not meet Tesla standard.

I went ahead and had them installed the Michelin Pilot Sport All season 4, and take my chance with the Pilot since I believe it doesn't matter what expensive tire you get for Model 3 EV, it won't last more than 30K, since EV are heavy and wear out faster than ordinary gas car. But what horrible Costco Policy!

Did anyone encounter similar issues?? Just want to share my thoughts. Thanks.

But what horrible Costco Policy!

Costco tire policies and experiences vary WILDLY from location to location.
Some locations will install whatever you want, others wont.
Some locations will refuse to put your Tesla on the lift, but will install tires on wheels if you bring just the wheels.
Some locations will install 3rd party TPMS sensors, others will refuse.

I usually buy my tires elsewhere, but had 1 (one) set recently installed by Costco who could get a set of Michelin PS4's a year or two ago when there was a national shortage.
Long story short, they installation went find. I brought a set of summer wheels while the car was riding on the winters. They installed and balanced them properly, and matched TireRack.com prices, to boot.

On all other occasions, I had shipped TR tires to one of their local recommended installers:

if u replace it with any other tires other than the MXM4, your warranty of tire wear thru Costco is not valid bc it does not meet Tesla standard.

That's an irrelevant consideration.
Costco road hazard "warranty" is worthless.
The list of fine-print disclaimers is pretty long, and if a Costco store wants to weasel out of honoring road hazard insurance, they can always pick 1 out of 10 reasons to do so (e.g.: "tire that is damaged/failed due to rapid or irregular wear").

HTH,
a

Reactions: gaswalla
the manager kept insisting that I should get the Michelin Primacy MXM4 (which total cost about $1250) and he also told me that bc Tesla recommend the Michelin MXM4 for Model 3, if u replace it with any other tires other than the MXM4, your warranty of tire wear thru Costco is not valid bc it does not meet Tesla standard.
Can you have this written down? Or was this only a tactic for selling something you didn't wanted?

Reactions: rpiotro
Latest info about Costco Tesla tire policy...
as I just replace my tires at Costco for Model 3 SR+ with set of Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (at $237.99 each), total including tax and misc fees came out to about $965. I just don't know if I had a bad representative/manager to help me or not, but he and the manager kept insisting that I should get the Michelin Primacy MXM4 (which total cost about $1250) and he also told me that bc Tesla recommend the Michelin MXM4 for Model 3, if u replace it with any other tires other than the MXM4, your warranty of tire wear thru Costco is not valid bc it does not meet Tesla standard.

I went ahead and had them installed the Michelin Pilot Sport All season 4, and take my chance with the Pilot since I believe it doesn't matter what expensive tire you get for Model 3 EV, it won't last more than 30K, since EV are heavy and wear out faster than ordinary gas car. But what horrible Costco Policy!

When I replaced my MSM4 with Pilot Sports, they originally didn't want to do it because of a difference in speed rating (V vs W maybe? it's been a while). But Then a manager approved that they could install tires that were one letter lower in speed rating. Given that my Tesla was never over 90mph, I'm not particularly concerned if the speed rating is 149 mph or 168mph.

I wonder how reliable others' recommendations on road noise are. I bought my 235/45R-18 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO XL tires based on a few comments that they are very quiet. My impression was that they are noisier than the tires that came on the car.

Not only is noise subjective, it can vary so much based on the pavement type. There's a stretch of about one mile where those tires really resonate with a low rumble. On another area they sound like singing ghosts.

Reactions: DocHolliday
I wonder how reliable others' recommendations on road noise are. I bought my 235/45R-18 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO XL tires based on a few comments that they are very quiet. My impression was that they are noisier than the tires that came on the car.

I would NEVER trust subjective tire recommendation from strangers on internet. Especially for 2nd/3rd tire budget brands.
If in doubt, search for independent tire reviews, or ones with a very large sampling of customer feedback.
tirerack.com
tire-reviews.com
consumerreports.com

Not only is noise subjective, it can vary so much based on the pavement type. There's a stretch of about one mile where those tires really resonate with a low rumble. On another area they sound like singing ghosts.

That's very true.
Tire noise varies by road surfaces, tread depth (tend to get noisier as tread wears), temperature, driver's age (older people are less sensitive), and driver's subjective sensitivity to varying sound frequency ranges.

Something that one person finds quiet, the other may find intolerable.

Reactions: pikeman
I had Michelin Cross Climate 2's put on my Model 3 at Costco about 8 months ago. They had zero issues and never mentioned anything about recommendations. They simply looked at the tire size, and load rating and found the proper Cross Climates to go on. $800 out the door. They are great tires.

Reactions: IndyGopher
VREDESTEIN is not a “budget “ brand. It’s well respected brand for enthusiasts who are partial to euro cars. I ran them on my Audi and was very happy with performance and wear. Much more so than the OEM contis. Is it a brand for EVs? Probably not but then they are not designed for EVs.

When I replaced my MSM4 with Pilot Sports, they originally didn't want to do it because of a difference in speed rating (V vs W maybe? it's been a while). But Then a manager approved that they could install tires that were one letter lower in speed rating. Given that my Tesla was never over 90mph, I'm not particularly concerned if the speed rating is 149 mph or 168mph.
I had ordered Cross Climate 2 tires for my 2019 M3 SR+ and Costco refused to put them on today. Told me I could take them somewhere else and retain the Michelin warranty, but they would not mount the CC-2's. Frustrating. Same thing with the speed rating as others have noted.

Reactions: Aellinsar
I would NEVER trust subjective tire recommendation from strangers on internet. Especially for 2nd/3rd tire budget brands.
If in doubt, search for independent tire reviews, or ones with a very large sampling of customer feedback.
tirerack.com
tire-reviews.com
consumerreports.com

That's very true.
Tire noise varies by road surfaces, tread depth (tend to get noisier as tread wears), temperature, driver's age (older people are less sensitive), and driver's subjective sensitivity to varying sound frequency ranges.

Something that one person finds quiet, the other may find intolerable.
Tesla and Michelin put literally put hundreds of thousands of miles testing tread pattern, rubber compounds, sound attenuation and wear and you expect a tire salesman or some guy on the internet to proclaim which tire is best? I have over 40,000 miles on my Model 3 OEM tires and I will replace them with the same before the rains hit, but they are still above wear bars. I drive on rough county roads and freeways, as little city driving as possible.

I have used Costco tire road hazard with no problem twice. Of course, its prorated, what were you expecting?
Discount Tire/America's Tire has been way above and beyond for me. Had a tire with a sidewall puncture ~40K miles into it's life but they replaced it outright for free in 20 minutes.

I fully expected to pay for a replacement but they never even brought up proration or anything.

I had Michelin Cross Climate 2's put on my Model 3 at Costco about 8 months ago. They had zero issues and never mentioned anything about recommendations. They simply looked at the tire size, and load rating and found the proper Cross Climates to go on. $800 out the door. They are great tires.
Have you driven them in snow?
Also any reduction in efficiency ?
I have the stock mxm tires which are terrible in the wet at 20k miles. Thanks!

Reactions: S&B's M3
Have you driven them in snow?
Also any reduction in efficiency ?
I have the stock mxm tires which are terrible in the wet at 20k miles. Thanks!
I've also run cc2 on model 3 sr+ for over a year. Previously my prior model 3 ran viking contact 7 dedicated winters and oem mxm.
Cc2 is very very good in the snow, almost to the level of dedicated winter tires. I would put them similar to economy winter tires like the altimax arctic.
I noticed a minor loss of efficiency. I average 218wh/mi in cc2 and I'm more typically around 210 to 215 on oem.
I think they'll last longer, they are much better in the rain. They are certainly louder... and my set was a bit hard to get balanced right.

Overall, it's the best tire I've used for all year use. I do have a subaru with hakkapeliitta in the winter as a second car for the really nasty stuff.