Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Tires For Model 3 P3D ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, So I got 15000 miles on the tire and as per America's Tire Tech the tires are almost gone maybe I will get another 5k miles out of it before requiring a replacement.

I know car is heavier than other cars and as per America's tire. Tesla over inflate the tire for the extra weight. So he said that is the reason a 45k mile tire is wearing out in 20k..

I asked him since I have the warranty on tires if they can be replaced under warranty. He said usually tire manufacture deny the warranty claim since they are over inflated. I wanted to ask any experience on getting these replaced under warranty ?

Also he did say there are other options which are half the price and will get more mileage out of it These are 18inch aero wheel.

Any other tire Which anyone else went with .. I know either way I will be replacing them soon just want to see if someone has any experience either replacing or going with some other set of tire. I am in California so we do not need winter tires here.

So just I guess all season should do. Thank you everyone !

Yes, they are the original ones from Tesla..

Is there any other option to consider or just go with the same one again ..

Well.. I am not a tire expert but love the 20 inch Pilot SS 4S that come with the performance package on the model 3P. Many people buy all seasons, but I prefer summer tires out here in southern california, especially because these particular ones have good wet performance too. Since most places here dont get any snow, we dont have the extreme cold issues that prevent use of this tire year round.

If you want a longer wearing tire, you might want to look into all season tires.

Hi, So I got 15000 miles on the tire and as per America's Tire Tech the tires are almost gone maybe I will get another 5k miles out of it before requiring a replacement.

I know car is heavier than other cars and as per America's tire. Tesla over inflate the tire for the extra weight. So he said that is the reason a 45k mile tire is wearing out in 20k..

I asked him since I have the warranty on tires if they can be replaced under warranty. He said usually tire manufacture deny the warranty claim since they are over inflated. I wanted to ask any experience on getting these replaced under warranty ?

Also he did say there are other options which are half the price and will get more mileage out of it These are 18inch aero wheel.

Any other tire Which anyone else went with .. I know either way I will be replacing them soon just want to see if someone has any experience either replacing or going with some other set of tire. I am in California so we do not need winter tires here.

So just I guess all season should do. Thank you everyone !
Did you have even wear? If so they should have offered you a credit toward your new tires. I get 12k miles a year on mine and have always got a credit. New set every year. 2015 85D

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Did you have even wear? If so they should have offered you a credit toward your new tires. I get 12k miles a year on mine and have always got a credit. New set every year. 2015 85D

Thank you for that information. On there system Americas tire the current tire I have had 45k Warranty. That is what I was thinking They will pro rate the new ones.. but they said NO...

Also he did say they are wearing from the Center.. But then he was like that is because of over inflate

They are not overinflated. That's why they are XL.

As per Local Americas tire the tech said the tire manufacture will deny since they are at 44 PSI from tesla

Thank you for that information. On there system Americas tire the current tire I have had 45k Warranty. That is what I was thinking They will pro rate the new ones.. but they said NO...

Also he did say they are wearing from the Center.. But then he was like that is because of over inflate

As per Local Americas tire the tech said the tire manufacture will deny since they are at 44 PSI from tesla

Door tag should say 42 psi. At least in USA it does.

Doesn’t matter what Tesla might have put in them at one time or another. You are responsible for day to day.

44 psi shouldn’t void it either.

Max tire pressure on that tire is 50 psi. But you should not run them that high.

What have you kept them at?

RWD Primacy the door tag is 45 psi. Which is also fine.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I know car is heavier than other cars and as per America's tire. Tesla over inflate the tire for the extra weight. So he said that is the reason a 45k mile tire is wearing out in 20k.

What makes you think TM3P (no "D") Michelin PS4 tires are supposed to last 45K miles?
Most performance tires last 10-15K miles when driven with passion. If you autoX or do DEs on them, they last way less than that.

You are on the high end of the tire tread life for PS4s.
Enjoy!

There is ZERO warranty on OEM tires.
Anyone who told you otherwise is selling you a Brooklyn bridge.

Cheaper tires, with lower grip, do last longer.
Given that the tire is the only thing that connects your car to the road, and keeps it facing shiny side up, economizing on grip, safety, and performance, for the sake of tire longevity, is magnificently foolhardy trade-off.

Model 3 Performance comes with 20" wheels shod with Michelin PS4 tires.
If you have 18" wheels, you don't have Performance Model 3, thus the reference to "P" in your thread title is mislead.

So what exact Model 3 model do you have?
What wheels and tires do you have?

Any other tire Which anyone else went with

Feel free to browse through a myriad of tire options and reviews on Tirerack.com:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...ipOver=true&minSpeedRating=V&minLoadRating=XL

Pick whichever one you like the most.

a

What makes you think TM3P (no "D") Michelin PS4 tires are supposed to last 45K miles?
Most performance tires last 10-15K miles when driven with passion. If you autoX or do DEs on them, they last way less than that.

Enjoy!

Given that the tire is the only thing that connects your car to the road, and keeps it facing shiny side up, economizing on grip, safety, and performance, for the sake of tire longevity, is magnificently foolhardy trade-off.

If you have 18" wheels, you don't have Performance Model 3, thus the reference to "P" in your thread title is mislead.

Feel free to browse through a myriad of tire options and reviews on Tirerack.com:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2019&autoModel=Model+3+Performance&autoModClar=&width=235/&ratio=35&diameter=20&sortCode=59853&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=V&minLoadRating=XL

a

Hi, Americas tire rep when selling me the certificates were the one who said this is a 45k tire I guess they were wrong. sounds it is a 20k tire.. more like which is fine But if this was a 45k tire like they said that is why I was confused why there were going out in 14-15k..

I agree with you on the part that the more the grip the better it is specially soon it is gonna be raining in california. So I will want all the grip I possibly can from the tires. :D

Yes, I have the 18 inch wheel and it is the performance Model 3. This was from last year Where they were selling Performance package either with the aero wheel or with the red brake caliper as a 5k option I did not opt out for the red brake caliper and bigger wheel. But yes it is still a performance model 3 :)

Reactions: Pkmmte
Hi, Americas tire rep when selling me the certificates were the one who said this is a 45k tire I guess they were wrong. sounds it is a 20k tire.. more like which is fine But if this was a 45k tire like they said that is why I was confused why there were going out in 14-15k..

I agree with you on the part that the more the grip the better it is specially soon it is gonna be raining in california. So I will want all the grip I possibly can from the tires. :D

Yes, I have the 18 inch wheel and it is the performance Model 3. This was from last year Where they were selling Performance package either with the aero wheel or with the red brake caliper as a 5k option I did not opt out for the red brake caliper and bigger wheel. But yes it is still a performance model 3 :)

If you have 18 inch wheels, then you likely do not have Pilot supersport 3 OEM tires. You might have the OEM all season tires. I am not sure what tire comes with that version of the car, because I wanted the performance package with mine (I like the 20s, yes I know its aesthetic, and I have already replaced 2 bent rims when I hit a nasty pothole ,lmao).

You could get a nice all season 18 inch tire, I wouldnt, because I am willing to pay for the grip etc of the PS4S tires.

IMG_6712.jpg

These are the one I got I think they are the same one which comes with AWD .. and RWD model 3

Hi, So I got 15000 miles on the tire and as per America's Tire Tech the tires are almost gone maybe I will get another 5k miles out of it before requiring a replacement....

You must be having a LOT of fun driving your car. ;)

I have 12.5k miles and lotsa tread left. So maybe the rubber is fine, but your track-like tendencies are a little hard on them?

Reactions: Pkmmte

Enjoy!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2019&autoModel=Model+3+Performance&autoModClar=&width=235/&ratio=35&diameter=20&sortCode=59853&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=V&minLoadRating=XL

a

$1300 (plus fuel and bent rim repairs) for every ~12k miles is ridiculous. That doesn’t seem so safe if you can blowout a rim so easy.

The OEM 18” Primacy tire is not a cheap tire.

Some people buy EV’s for a greener earth. You’re just filling the landfill with tires 5x faster than the average person.

I bought 19” Pirelli P7+ tires for my Model 3 Performance (Stealth). Awesome tire. Quiet, More efficient than 18” Primacy and rated for 70K miles. No, they are not race track tires like the 4S.

And lots of folks have got some partial credit on OEM tires that only got a fraction of the wear. But some folks think Some Shops don’t know any better and submit a claim.

Last edited:
Most Michelin tires have a manufactures mileage warranty. I ran Pilot Sport AS3's on my BMW M3's and the rears would be gone in 20,000 miles or so, Discount Tires always credited me a prorated amount for replacements. If I remember the milage warranty is 35,000 for those tires. I've only got 3,000 miles on my Model 3 but I'll be putting some AS3's on it as soon as it gets cold.

Another thing to consider, high milage tires don't perform as well as their lower mileage counterparts. You might not be going to the race track but you might need to stop quickly or need lateral grip to avoid a collision. IMO, the Pilot Sport AS3's are an excellent compromise.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan_LA
You must be having a LOT of fun driving your car. ;)

I have 12.5k miles and lotsa tread left. So maybe the rubber is fine, but your track-like tendencies are a little hard on them?

I have not ever really pushed the car to its limit. My commute is about 80 miles back and fourth from home to work.

I usually sit in traffic 2 hours each way.. So with that said I am not sure how did that contribute to accelerated tire wear..