Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla to Add Dashcam Functionality ‘Soon’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TMC Member smorgasbord tipped us off nearly two weeks ago that Tesla is working on a software update to use the front camera to support dashcam functionality. Smorgasbord caught wind of the development at a private reception for Roadster owners during Monterey Car Week that included appearances by President of Global Sales & Service Jon McNeill and Chief Designer Franz von Holzhausen.

Now, CEO Elon Musk has confirmed on Twitter that an integrated dashcam is “coming soon.”

Tesla’s vehicles are now all equipped with 8 cameras to power its Autopilot features, but to date owners have had to turn to an aftermarket dashcam option like the Blackvue. There’s even been some recent discussion on the forum regarding options for a dahshcams.

When Tesla manages to roll out functionality, it will likely be a big blow to those aftermarket offerings.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only Tesla cam I have on my ol' car is the rear backup camera. And I was super excited when they added lines to it!

Bought my own dashcam, and also put a nose cam on my car for front parking views (anti-curb hit camera).

But hey, I'd be happy if Tesla enabled the backup cam for driving and parking capture. .

The integrated dash cam will be an amazing feature for Tesla owners. We install a large amount of Blackvue dash cams for the Tesla Model S and Model X here at Al & Ed's Autosound in West Hollywood, CA. The Blackvue dashcam is one of the best with GPS Tracking and Remote Video Playback via wifi. Most of our clients use the 2 channel Blackvue that includes a camera for the rear as well. With the heavy traffic in Los Angeles , these dash cams are a must and our clients rave about how great the product works. Hopefully with the expansion of the now 160ft tunnel under SpaceX , Tesla owners will be able to avoid some of the LA traffic via underground tunnel at speeds of up to 130 MPH :)

Looking forward to the details, including but not limited to:

1. How many minutes of footage will be retained?
2. What options will there be for the owner to capture/retain some or all of that footage locally/"permanently"?
3. Will existing AP2 owners benefit, and will the footage be full color or red-tinged grey scale?
4. Cost?
5. Tangential discussion - finally having a usable hotspot in the car.

Am also looking forward to this year's October surprise (see 2014, 2016). Hopeful that I won't have to buy a 3rd new car in as many years to benefit from this referenced dashcam (and perhaps hotspot) functionality. Maybe that Model 3 reservation that I pushed out a year (for AWD) will come in handy after all.

In any case, October should be a Very Good month (with an announcement being a proper harbinger of the year ahead), and dashcam/hotspot functionality will just add to the coolness factor.

Looking forward to the details, including but not limited to:

1. How many minutes of footage will be retained?
2. What options will there be for the owner to capture/retain some or all of that footage locally/"permanently"?

Retaining anything would require a certain amount of local storage and it would be a moot point unless owners had a way of transferring the data. On the other hand, development could be done in conjunction with the app. If a driver or passenger has Bluetooth connectivity, then it could be left up to the individual to decide how much to retain and have the space for it. I would think that the bandwidth would be excessive to upload and keep dash cam footage, or even upload and not keep it, so local transfer to a personal device makes sense.

The camera data is there and the car's computers have access to it. Sending it somewhere is the only issue and having the car's software do nothing but offer a feed is an option, but a consideration is not stepping on any existing functionality.

Ideally there would be a software program to utilize the owners' USB thumbdrive into the existing ports to store the files so the files can be removed for review and storage, especially if the image quality would be at current after-market dashcam resolutions.

Developing some other process that would result in an additional cost to the owner would be a poor decision by Tesla, and not likely be successful.

Reactions: bhzmark
For years now I have been reading posts on TMC wondering why Tesla doesn't use at least the front camera as a dashcam. I'm glad that Tesla plans to offer such a feature, and am bracing for the onslaught of complaints once the feature is released about how it isn't as good as a Blackvue and why doesn't the Tesla dashcam offer feature X, Y, and Z! Because no good deed goes unpunished...

Reactions: bhzmark and ev-now
For years now I have been reading posts on TMC wondering why Tesla doesn't use at least the front camera as a dashcam. I'm glad that Tesla plans to offer such a feature, and am bracing for the onslaught of complaints once the feature is released about how it isn't as good as a Blackvue and why doesn't the Tesla dashcam offer feature X, Y, and Z! Because no good deed goes unpunished...
so true!

...wait...

Tesla cameras are not intended for human eyes. They are RCCC-Red Clear Clear Clear optimized for your machine to enjoy.

It doesn't record sound either.

So if you want proper color and sound, you have no choice but choosing conventional dash cam.

I on the other hand, i would be willing to accept Tesla RCCC video so that I can skip an extra step of adding an additional piece of equipment and wire.

For those who want to wait, you should know how Tesla timeline would work by now. You might wait for a very long long time!

Last edited:
I am torn right now as to whether I should install the blackvue 4 Channel set up or wait for tesla dashcam features to be unlock. Anyone else in the same sticky situation?
I'm in the same boat. Just upgraded to the DR650 and waiting on a Massdrop buy for the DR750 and will retrofit for the pair. I am going to do it anyway. Half committed now. While there may be redundancy, frankly I don't think we can have too much video protection collection these days. I can always ignore the second set of videos if there's a problem the first set doesn't collect - whatever the reason.

I was at the store waiting for my mom to get into car and was parked right behind a car. the driver did not look and backed out and I honked right away and she nearly missed my passenger side! I was livid. No apologies at all from the lady. at that point I made up my mind to install the dash cams.