Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to fix rapidly dying 12v batteries with software update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So out of curiosity, does the model 3 only charge the 12v battery say at home while the car is plugged in or does it do it while driving similar to an ICE car/alternator? Are people having this 12 volt battery issue making only short trips? I know my daughter had an issue years ago with short trips in her car and the alternator needed longer to fully charge the battery not sure if Tesla’s work the same or not?
The main battery pack charges the 12V when it needs to.

Did you ever measure the battery voltage?

I have a 2018/10 Model 3 and my battery still looks charging fine (see previous reply #11)

I have a Cigarette Lighter Splitter with a Voltmeter so I can easily check my car battery voltage.

Also I use the App 'Scan My Tesla' to get additional voltage and capacity information.

61ln1x2-e0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
No, I never checked it. I did reset the car by disconnecting 12v and main battery from disconnect under rear seat. The errors came back the next morning, replaced the battery and haven’t had a problem since.

I wonder if we can be proactive and request a service appointment for our batteries to then nudge Tesla to see if our cars would be affected by the battery issue in the future? I have not experienced this yet but have read about it quite often on these threads!

It would be nice to be able to fix prior to receiving the DEATH notice, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I wonder if we can be proactive and request a service appointment for our batteries to then nudge Tesla to see if our cars would be affected by the battery issue in the future? I have not experienced this yet but have read about it quite often on these threads!

It would be nice to be able to fix prior to receiving the DEATH notice, lol.
I’ll give you 3 guesses about how far you get, and the first 2 don’t count.

• Funny
Reactions: Jazz_MIII
I have been monitoring my 12 V battery for the past week. I noticed the following:

1. About every one day 1/2 (about 33 hours) the battery get charged for about one hour at 14.60 V

2020-08-13-tesla-12-v-3-days-log-jpg.587959

2. Detail of the battery been charge at 14.6 for about one hour.

2020-08-13-tesla-12-v-1-h-charge-jpg.587960

3. The battery discharge slowly from 13.20 V to 12.70 V (or about 0.5 V) during the next day and 1/2.

I noticed several pics of about 50 mV lasting 10 to 20 mS, and I suppose those correspond to an electrical pump starting since the car was sleeping.

2020-08-13-tesla-12-v-33-h-discharge-jpg.587966
If you look, the minimum increment on the measurment looks to be 50mV and all of those pips happen in the latter half of the step on the graph and get closer together the nearer the end of the step you get, and actually some up-ticks after the dense section, its more likely that the voltage is dropping constantly over time, but that there are small fluctuations that cause it to bounce between two readings on the scale.