Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to have salvage title supercharging reinstatement process by the end of the year, no s or x.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My vehicle, which has been serviced under warranty and allowed supercharging for the more than 5 years and 200,000 miles that I have owned it, has suddenly been excluded from supercharging (and warranty). I moved to a new state and apparently Tesla has decided it is a salvage vehicle. Working on the legal logistics, hopefully getting that fixed. In the meantime I had a bit of interesting data from the local service team.

The manager at my local service center had heard that they were going to have a salvage title reinstatement policy. Apparently Tesla is working on a Model 3 and model Y salvage title supercharging approval system. They specifically have no plans for the s or the x. Could it be it's because there's a lot of old S and X that would have free supercharging for life, if they reinstated it. On the other hand, why couldn't they just say "yes but you'll have to pay for it"? Maybe it's simply not enough volume to be worth their effort to design a system. Maybe the design of the battery in the 3 and Y is more robust as to accidents. Your guess is as good as mine.

Apparently this program is hopefully going to be implemented around the end of the year. Not much good news for all of the S and X owners who have actual salvage title vehicles.

My vehicle, which has been serviced under warranty and allowed supercharging for the more than 5 years and 200,000 miles that I have owned it, has suddenly been excluded from supercharging (and warranty). I moved to a new state and apparently Tesla has decided it is a salvage vehicle. Working on the legal logistics, hopefully getting that fixed. In the meantime I had a bit of interesting data from the local service team.

The manager at my local service center had heard that they were going to have a salvage title reinstatement policy. Apparently Tesla is working on a Model 3 and model Y salvage title supercharging approval system. They specifically have no plans for the s or the x. Could it be it's because there's a lot of old S and X that would have free supercharging for life, if they reinstated it. On the other hand, why couldn't they just say "yes but you'll have to pay for it"? Maybe it's simply not enough volume to be worth their effort to design a system. Maybe the design of the battery in the 3 and Y is more robust as to accidents. Your guess is as good as mine.

Apparently this program is hopefully going to be implemented around the end of the year. Not much good news for all of the S and X owners who have actual salvage title vehicles.
I hope that's true. I have a 2018 M3 with 2019 salvage title that used superchargers for 3 years without incident and suddenly got banned. Should be on a case by case basis. I almost got stranded with no warning that, after 3 years, I was now lumped in the scum group because I happen to have a salvage title.

It's a safety/liability issue. I'm guessing that salvage vehicles will need a Tesla-approved inspection/test before SC privileges are restored.
I understand what they claim to be a safety issue, but when they allow me access for 3 years under a salvage title, then finally get me banned, the safety issue is no longer relevant, I have proven over a pattern and a practice of use that safety is no longer an issue. If they fail to ban me for 3 years, the default position should be that I get to continue SC use.

It's a safety/liability issue. I'm guessing that salvage vehicles will need a Tesla-approved inspection/test before SC privileges are restored.
They did this in the past with the S you paid them $5k or $10k and they would do a HV inspection to make sure its safe and then they would enable supercharging on it. but then months later they blocked those cars as well and didn't give back the money those salvage owners paid for the inspection.

They did this in the past with the S you paid them $5k or $10k and they would do a HV inspection to make sure its safe and then they would enable supercharging on it. but then months later they blocked those cars as well and didn't give back the money those salvage owners paid for the inspection.
No, the HV inspection only allows the SC to perform work in the HV system, as per the global unsupported vehicle policy.

@henderrj such a move would make sense, but don’t keep your hopes high. I think the problem of Model S/X is that the wording of supercharging for life in the contract truly means that, if they were to reinstate it, you would indeed have supercharging for life. That might be a factor.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
No, the HV inspection only allows the SC to perform work in the HV system, as per the global unsupported vehicle policy.
This was in the before times, you're talking about recent policies I'm talking about original policies. Originally if you paid for the HV safety inspection and passed they would enable supercharging even though it was a salvage car. Then they reneged that policy and disabled supercharging even on cars that had previously paid to have it reinabled.

I’m not sure if that policy was ever there in first place. Maybe some SC in Europe were doing that in the beginning, but that doesn’t mean it was Tesla Corporate policy. We have seen many departures from corporate policy in the past.

This was in the before times, you're talking about recent policies I'm talking about original policies. Originally if you paid for the HV safety inspection and passed they would enable supercharging even though it was a salvage car. Then they reneged that policy and disabled supercharging even on cars that had previously paid to have it reinabled.
You are exactly right. While I understand that Tesla has every right to choose which cars they allow to use their superchargers, I don't understand how they think they have the right to prevent drivers from doing business with another company (ie EA or the like) to obtain DCFC.

@henderrj such a move would make sense, but don’t keep your hopes high. I think the problem of Model S/X is that the wording of supercharging for life in the contract truly means that, if they were to reinstate it, you would indeed have supercharging for life. That might be a factor.

There is certainly nothing to keep Tesla from making paid super charging a part of the process. And, I really don't have a problem with that. At least people with vehicles that are recognized by their own states to be safe to drive on the road, could also safely charge them as they travel down those roads. I think Tesla's arrogance, born from its megalomaniac leader, is a major problem and it needs to be corrected. Hopefully steps are being taken that way. (And I actually love the man! But wow, does he have emotional issues.)

It totally makes sense now that they're going to restore supercharging to salvage cars. Years in the past, this would have meant restoring unlimited free supercharging. Now it will mean adding cars to the pool that will pay for supercharging. If you have a salvage 2015 S, don't expect them to ever add free supercharging back.

So bottom line there’s no supercharging neither with Tesla or the competitor charging stations then? I was about to buy a 2014 model S85 rebuilt title and was wondering what are my charging options
Months behind, but I'm answering because I didn't see a clear answer: Model 3 and Y you can retro-fit CCS to fast charge at about 190kw in other charging networks. Model S and X are different and I've seen folks retrofit to enable CCS to varying degrees of success but it's def not as straight forward nor accessible as Model 3/Y.

To be clear, rebuilt and salvaged titled VINs are not allowed to use Tesla's charging network AT ALL, the charging station will NOT allow the car to charge when it "hand shakes". So far CCS enabled Tesla's (clean title or not) are able to fast charge on other networks and I'm crossing fingers Tesla doesn't double down on their bullshit policy by banning those VINs from accepting a fast charge period (from any charge network).

We shall see.

Reactions: M0rpH3x
I have recently rebuilt my 2018 Tesla Model X with a minimally damaged couple of dents and scratches most of the error codes are addressed by the Tesla service center with a cost from the pocket as supposed to be, requested for service appointment for service they confirmed only Model 3 and Model 3 are eligible to get inspected for now not ETA on model x to get addressed anyone had the luck to get Supercharging enabled any inputs would be helpful

Here you go! The SLC SC is wonderful, I have to add. My experience was always good.

1464B140-8708-4173-AE05-3F0835ED6C92.jpeg