Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi delivery event, 1 December 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla Semi could weigh close to what the E Cascadia weighs
The maximum Gross Combined Weight (GCW) for the eCascadia and trailer is 82,000 lbs. The approximate curb weight for the eCascadia is 16,350 (4x2 standard-range), 18,750 (4x2 long-range), or 21,800 (6x4)

Presentation said was 81k gross lbs but not how much the cab vs the payload so I would assume significantly less payload than a diesel truck. On the other hand, for many fleets like Pepsi, their loads have more volume than weight so ok ( pop weighs a lot but chips weigh nothing). Since starting from 0% of truck market, if only can address a third of truck market, still huge.

The other huge question is how much the truck weighs by itself. Hauling potato chips was a smart initial mission as those are volume limited, not mass limited. But there are a limited number of those types of loads. The truck will need to be able to haul a 45k trailer while staying under 80k total weight or the economics will be much harder.

The rules are 82K for EV Class 8 trucks.

Read somewhere the payload is a bit under 40k lbs

Presentation said was 81k gross lbs but not how much the cab vs the payload so I would assume significantly less payload than a diesel truck. On the other hand, for many fleets like Pepsi, their loads have more volume than weight so ok ( pop weighs a lot but chips weigh nothing). Since starting from 0% of truck market, if only can address a third of truck market, still huge.
Why do you ASSUME itā€™s significantly less payload?

So, the Semi has 1,000V architecture as does the Cybertruck. It was mentioned that the CT will be able to use the same 1MW charger as the Semi or (my guess)the new V4 Supercharger.
V4 verified
Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 8.51.22 PM.png

Reactions: aerodyne