Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to increase cost of FSD beta software beyond its $12,000 price tag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because it didn’t exist when EAP was introduced.

However, every single car that ever bought EAP received NOA as a feature when it was released.

My December 2016 MS with EAP most definitely has NOA, and if that doesn’t qualify as “Original EAP” then nothing does.
That is my recollection also.
My brain is fuzzy on the details though, although because I bought FSD around the same time I can't remember with any certainty which came first. I do remember that I got it during the firesale and my reasoning was so I'd get the HW3 upgrade which seemed like a reasonable deal.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Because it didn’t exist when EAP was introduced.

However, every single car that ever bought EAP received NOA as a feature when it was released.

My December 2016 MS with EAP most definitely has NOA, and if that doesn’t qualify as “Original EAP” then nothing does.
I know it wasn’t there originally, but you are probably correct, except, I had paid for FSD, so I got it regardless. Sorry for my confusion.

It's fine that people buy FSD knowing they still have to drive the FSD and take responsibility for FSD.

On the other hand, I bought FSD because after listening to many pitches from Elon Musk, I thought my car would drive itself very soon, in months, not years, not decades, not centuries.

After Tesla dropped its RADAR instead of adding more sensors like LIDAR, I suspect Tesla's method is unsound.

The timing of announcing a price increase is inappropriate after AI Addict collided with the green bollard, multiple complaints of false slowdowns (phantom brakes), expanding the NHTSA investigation...

Mercedes is selling its EQS Drive Pilot for $7,726 in Germany. It will get permits from California and Nevada next year (not the entire 50 states due to different local laws, while the EU has one unified law for self-driving cars). Its Drive Pilot is L3 up to 37 MPH, and Mercedes is taking all liabilities that may happen during the operation of L3. Beyond 37 MPH, it becomes L2, just like Tesla highway Autopilot and the driver is responsible for the drive (and accidents) during the operation of L2.

I bought FSD for my current 2018 Model 3 for $3000, which was additional to the $5k I paid for Enhanced Autopilot. In four years, I have received an Autopilot computer upgrade for that $3k. That is it. The FSD beta currently running on my car is nowhere near useful, and it will be years before it is. At that point, my car would be very long-in-the-tooth. I have already ordered a replacement 3 and absolutely left FSD off the order. I did buy EAP though since it actually contains some useful features that will get better over time. FSD is so far from being useful that anybody buying it is throwing their money away. At $12k, it's a monumentally stupid purchase unless you really love beta testing. Another FSD price hike and I would expect it to be featured on a SNL skit.

I had FSD (not the beta) on a CPO 2016.5 MS 75D I bought; FSD just happened to be tossed in for the price I wanted to pay on a car that was otherwise perfect for me. I now have “just” AP on my new M3. The FSD feature I miss most (which isn’t a lot) is the ability to tell the car to change langes while in AP without leaving AP. The feature I have missed next most (believe it or not) is the “ding” for green lights, which I think will be bestowed on us with the latest update. If I could have it, I’d probably like to have Summon. Nothing else really worked reliably enough or in a practical way to be worth much.

I would never pay $12K for those two (or three) features. And, I’m not likely to let my $60K car drive itself in the city, and certainly not by itself anytime soon (eg, I wouldn’t expect to recoup the $12K anytime soon). And, that FSD I had before didn’t transfer after my car was totaled, so I’m once-bitten on investing in something that can be lost in an instant through no fault of mine.

Just my $.03…

I think Elon is making a mistake to keep raising the price of FSD, especially since FSD still requires driver supervision. It would be one thing to offer true driverless L5 for $12k but to charge $12k for L2 is ridiculous. I get that Elon thinks that $12k is cheap if Tesla "solves FSD" but Tesla has not "solved FSD" yet. So, I think it is premature to raise the price. And I think Tesla "solving FSD" this year, which would presumably mean FSD is safer than humans and works everywhere with no driver supervision, is extremely unlikely. So, I think Elon is getting way ahead of himself.

And I think Elon is assuming he can charge that much because there will be no competition. But the competition is coming. Mobileye is saying that they plan to sell L4 on consumer cars for less than $6,000 by 2025. Thanks to Mobileye's crowdsourced maps, it will work almost everywhere and will not require any driver supervision at all. If Mobileye is able to do that, they will completely undercut Tesla. Nobody will pay $12k or more for Tesla's FSD when they can get true L4 for less than $6,000.

Of course, we don't know how good Tesla's FSD will be by 2025. But let's pretend for argument sake that by 2025, Tesla does "solve FSD" and FSD is safer than humans and works everywhere with no driver supervision. So your choice is FSD that works everywhere with no driver supervision for $12k+ or Mobileye's true L4 that works almost everywhere and with no driver supervision for less than $6,000. IMO, in that scenario, Mobileye is still the better deal. And if Tesla somehow does not "solve FSD" by 2025, then Mobileye is an even better deal because nobody will pay $12k for L2 in 2025 when they can get L4 from Mobileye and others for far less.

Basically, Elon can raise the price of FSD now because there is little competition. But by 2025, there will be lots of FSD competition. And with competition, prices will come down. When there is FSD competition, Tesla will have to lower their price on FSD to stay competitive.
I'd pay at least $20K if it was truly L5. I'm guessing that I'll be dead before that happens.

Last edited:
The idea of Self Driving that will come soon is not new.

83 years ago, or 1939, at the GM Futurama exhibit, it already envisioned that autonomous vehicles would be in the future soon.

Since then, year after year, progress has been made to achieve that goal.

Dream big, talk big is not a problem.

However, before Tesla, none has sold us a Self-Driving System.

That is the problem when Tesla takes payments from consumers for a Self-Driving System that still needs a human driver.

Tesla has started a trend that other car companies might want to copy: Take money from consumers for a non-existing product.

This looks like the same playbook before, charging arm and leg to fund the research and development for future mass production. May be in a few years, FSD will become subscription only in a more tempting price.

I paid 8k for EAP+FSD 5 years ago believing some cool technologies will come in not so distant future... fast forward to now, only AP and lane change I really like, the others are just toys to show off at the moment. I wouldn't pay 12k or more now for a product that is up in the air and for sure no priority for earlier adopters in the future.

,,,So based on my thinking Tesla should go aead and make the price $25,000. The ones who would pay 12,000 will gladly pay 25,000.
This is an example of a common human-nature trait regarding relative wealth vs relative poverty:
thinking that people who have a little more - or who simply have chosen to purchase something that you consider an elective luxury - must be limitlessly rich with money to nurn, and/or must be very foolish with their money because they made a choice you didn't.

Whereas, whatever money you have and choose to spend as you do, certainly does ot put you in that category. Because, after all, you earned your money through hard work and smart financial planning, And it would be mighty unfair of someone else to believe that you're limitlessly rich or foolishly extravagant just because, for example, you drive around in a Tesla...

I think Elon is making a mistake to keep raising the price of FSD, especially since FSD still requires driver supervision. It would be one thing to offer true driverless L5 for $12k but to charge $12k for L2 is ridiculous. I get that Elon thinks that $12k is cheap if Tesla "solves FSD" but Tesla has not "solved FSD" yet. So, I think it is premature to raise the price. And I think Tesla "solving FSD" this year, which would presumably mean FSD is safer than humans and works everywhere with no driver supervision, is extremely unlikely. So, I think Elon is getting way ahead of himself.

And I think Elon is assuming he can charge that much because there will be no competition. But the competition is coming. Mobileye is saying that they plan to sell L4 on consumer cars for less than $6,000 by 2025. Thanks to Mobileye's crowdsourced maps, it will work almost everywhere and will not require any driver supervision at all. If Mobileye is able to do that, they will completely undercut Tesla. Nobody will pay $12k or more for Tesla's FSD when they can get true L4 for less than $6,000.

Of course, we don't know how good Tesla's FSD will be by 2025. But let's pretend for argument sake that by 2025, Tesla does "solve FSD" and FSD is safer than humans and works everywhere with no driver supervision. So your choice is FSD that works everywhere with no driver supervision for $12k+ or Mobileye's true L4 that works almost everywhere and with no driver supervision for less than $6,000. IMO, in that scenario, Mobileye is still the better deal. And if Tesla somehow does not "solve FSD" by 2025, then Mobileye is an even better deal because nobody will pay $12k for L2 in 2025 when they can get L4 from Mobileye and others for far less.

Basically, Elon can raise the price of FSD now because there is little competition. But by 2025, there will be lots of FSD competition. And with competition, prices will come down. When there is FSD competition, Tesla will have to lower their price on FSD to stay competitive.
I liked the comment I saw on Twitter: "You mean I can save $12k if I just drive myself!"
Interesting perspective.
Interesting part is they already ARE driving themselves whether they paid $12k or not 🤣😂

Took a drive today on the expressway. Turned car in opposite direction w NOA to a McDonalds. NAV calculated route. It would've go me there bu when I go to the exit it recalculated to a different exit (which I would've taken) and then it passes that for another exit. It passes and recalculates again and it shows the last exit I would've (and have taken). Right turn cloverleaf to southbound road. It gets there, doesn't signal and it's ready yo keep going. I naturally took over. So when I've complained about this before I've been told don't blame FSD for NAV. So if NAV calculates the road, isn't FSD mandated to take that route. I flagged the incident but I'll bet FSD 10.13 will fix this