Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to increase cost of FSD beta software beyond its $12,000 price tag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a drive today on the expressway. Turned car in opposite direction w NOA to a McDonalds. NAV calculated route. It would've go me there bu when I go to the exit it recalculated to a different exit (which I would've taken) and then it passes that for another exit. It passes and recalculates again and it shows the last exit I would've (and have taken). Right turn cloverleaf to southbound road. It gets there, doesn't signal and it's ready yo keep going. I naturally took over. So when I've complained about this before I've been told don't blame FSD for NAV. So if NAV calculates the road, isn't FSD mandated to take that route. I flagged the incident but I'll bet FSD 10.13 will fix this
I've had NOA and beta miss exits/turns despite the nav correctly indicating the upcoming turn well in advance.

One way this happens is if there is. or has been, recent construction that causes the exit location to change. If it changes far enough, then NOA does't recognize the exit and will keep going.

Recalculating routes can be problematic as well, because the new route can have a turn that you pass before the new route is available.

Took a drive today on the expressway. Turned car in opposite direction w NOA to a McDonalds. NAV calculated route. It would've go me there bu when I go to the exit it recalculated to a different exit (which I would've taken) and then it passes that for another exit. It passes and recalculates again and it shows the last exit I would've (and have taken). Right turn cloverleaf to southbound road. It gets there, doesn't signal and it's ready yo keep going. I naturally took over. So when I've complained about this before I've been told don't blame FSD for NAV. So if NAV calculates the road, isn't FSD mandated to take that route. I flagged the incident but I'll bet FSD 10.13 will fix this
Did the screen show your solid blue line in the center of the lane shift to a curved line on the exit ramp? If it didn't, then it wasn't setup to take the exit. My car, while on AP/NoA, has the blue nav line curve off the freeway when I'm close to the exit, and the car shifts over to the exit lane. Then FSD Beta takes over and the visualizations switch to show I'm on the Beta stack.

If it did show the line curve off the freeway/highway, but it didn't take the exit, that sounds like a bug. If it didn't show the curve, I'd check your AP/NoA settings and make sure there isn't something there that got switched off for some reason.

Did the screen show your solid blue line in the center of the lane shift to a curved line on the exit ramp? If it didn't, then it wasn't setup to take the exit. My car, while on AP/NoA, has the blue nav line curve off the freeway when I'm close to the exit, and the car shifts over to the exit lane. Then FSD Beta takes over and the visualizations switch to show I'm on the Beta stack.

If it did show the line curve off the freeway/highway, but it didn't take the exit, that sounds like a bug. If it didn't show the curve, I'd check your AP/NoA settings and make sure there isn't something there that got switched off for some reason.
What settings do you suggest I check. I did everything you said except the part where the blue line shows and it pulls over. Just kept going

I have had my EAP not take exit after asking me to confirm lane change to the right most lane some time before the exit ramp. Not often, only twice in 4 years.

The linked commentary has nothing to support their claim other than it has gone up before. There’s literally nothing written that’s based on anything in the last year let alone something anyone said to suggest price change is imminent. What a waste of time. Why share this junk?

• Disagree
Reactions: dbldwn02
“Ridiculously cheap,” LOL!
I think there is sort of an "uncanny valley" here. AP and NoA definitely have value as ADAS features, and I don't regret the $5000 I paid for them (EAP in June 2018). FSD Capabilities (e.g., Smart Summon, Autosteer on City Streets, etc.) in my experience currently require high-levels of vigilant attentiveness and frequent interventions/corrections to prevent accidents. While someone like me with a keen interest in AI and autonomy gets some level of enjoyment out of playing with these features, they are currently nothing more than that - toys to be played with; parlor tricks to show off to your friends. They add no actual value to either the safety or drivability of the car. And as the operational driving domain (ODD) for FSD Capabilities grows, the incompetence of the system (perceived or otherwise) and the range of mistakes it can make grows along with it. In this regard, the actual value of FSD Capabilities seems to drop, not rise.

Of course, if L4/L5 was ever cracked by the Tesla team, then the value (and price) of FSD Capabilities could logically shoot up - perhaps beyond the current $12K price point. But it remains to be seen if that will ever happen, especially with the current hardware/sensor platform (IMO it will not). So saying now that FSD Capabilities is currently "ridiculously cheap" just further shows how out of touch Elon seems to be with the reality of the situation.

Last edited:
Yep. And it is not the first time. Elon has teased before that FSD will be "solved" or that some big FSD feature will be released and the price will increase soon to create fear or missing out to get Tesla owners to buy FSD.
Still waiting for the coast to coast FSD drive Elon promised would happen by the end of 2017...

Price increase on FSD is a pre-cursor to one on EAP.

There has been talk of a $99 monthly subscription to EAP. If I'm doing a 2k road trip, that's a no-brainer just for the convenience.

Just my guess. If they do raise the price of FSD, let's observe what happens to EAP.

Reactions: Goose66
Price increase on FSD is a pre-cursor to one on EAP.

There has been talk of a $99 monthly subscription to EAP. If I'm doing a 2k road trip, that's a no-brainer just for the convenience.
I think an attempt to increase demand on FSDC and EAP subscriptions is a very good guess at the motivations of Elon's comments. It is exactly what other software companies are doing these days.

So saying now that FSD Capabilities is currently "ridiculously cheap" just further shows how out of touch Elon seems to be with the reality of the situation.
What he actually said:
"It is basically currently ridiculously cheap, assuming FSD materializes, which it will."

Believing that it will materialize is the part where he's out of touch with reality.

Still waiting for the coast to coast FSD drive Elon promised would happen by the end of 2017...

In retrospect, I think the coast to coast FSD drive was just a clever marketing ploy. It was made to be some big milestone that would get Tesla fans excited about FSD progress and make it look like FSD was really going to happen soon. The truth is that it was never a meaningful milestone for FSD because A) it is too easy to game it and b) Even a 3000 mile trip (mostly highways) with zero interventions would not actually prove L5 since there would be many scenarios not tested by a coast to coast demo.

Funny thing is that Elon quietly dropped it when they missed the deadline. Then at one point, he tweeted that the software would be good enough that we could simply do our own coast to coast drive. Now he has simply moved on to other promises like "safety greater than a human driver by end of this year".

I've had NOA and beta miss exits/turns despite the nav correctly indicating the upcoming turn well in advance.

One way this happens is if there is. or has been, recent construction that causes the exit location to change. If it changes far enough, then NOA does't recognize the exit and will keep going.

Recalculating routes can be problematic as well, because the new route can have a turn that you pass before the new route is available.
Nope - no construction or change to roads

In retrospect, I think the coast to coast FSD drive was just a clever marketing ploy. It was made to be some big milestone that would get Tesla fans excited about FSD progress and make it look like FSD was really going to happen soon. The truth is that it was never a meaningful milestone for FSD because A) it is too easy to game it and b) Even a 3000 mile trip (mostly highways) with zero interventions would not actually prove L5 since there would be many scenarios not tested by a coast to coast demo.

Funny thing is that Elon quietly dropped it when they missed the deadline. Then at one point, he tweeted that the software would be good enough that we could simply do our own coast to coast drive. Now he has simply moved on to other promises like "safety greater than a human driver by end of this year".
A BRILLIANT marketing ploy. Especially when you combine that with the technological successes he was having with SpaceX at the time (the average person would equate self landing boosters and all that he accomplished with SpaceX that entire governments could not do). Sort of a "of course we believe he can make it happen, look at what he did with Space X, so sure I'll pay for this FSD, because I belive his words".

Another brilliant marketing ploy? Stating (initially) that the interior cameras were not for driver monitoring of any sort, but for the coming soon Robotaxi service, to monitor passengers as the car picked up and drove persons from point a to point b with no one in the drivers seat. by 2019. That added "validity" of sorts that FSD and the Level 5 that he promised, actually were going to come by end of 2019/2020. Got more people to purchase FSD..

I'm not sure if these are/were marketing ploys, or Musk truly believe(s/d) everything he has said so far.

Not obvious to me... 😄

I agree that pessimism never produces great things, and innovative leaders are often hopelessly optimistic. You go, Elon!

The problem here is not the enthusiasm, it's the part where Tesla charged for the fantasy and failed to deliver.

What settings do you suggest I check. I did everything you said except the part where the blue line shows and it pulls over. Just kept going
Here are my settings for AP and NoA:
PXL_20220725_164959426.jpg

PXL_20220725_164949663.jpg