Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to install Superchargers at "all" Fred Meyers store locations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, my worry was more about local congestion and ICEing. But as some have mentioned, if the parking lots are huge, and the stalls are located appropriately far away, ICE shouldn't be a problem. And, of course, I'm forgetting new vehicles don't have unlimited Supercharging.

Yes, I wouldn't worry too much about ICEing, unless they put the chargers right next to the pregnant mother spots (and I don't see that happening).

Also, think about all those prospective Model 3 drivers that do not have a standalone home in which to install a charger. They will greatly appreciate having convenient access to a supercharger, and the store will gladly have them come on in.

Finally, placing superchargers at high-volume, highly visible, retail locations is fantastic advertising for Tesla. Once Tesla has burned through the early adopters (and that was all but done once they took Model 3 reservations), they need to break through to the folks that are highly concerned about convenience and range anxiety. Even at roughly $150k per location, that could be a real bargain if Tesla can start bringing in the orders.

Oregon Fred Meyer has SUPERCHARGERS located in Sandy Oregon, Bend, Oregon, Klamath Falls, Oregon.

To put one in every Fred Meyers is silly. Where I live there are ten - 15 Fred Meyers within 15 miles. Five Fred Meyers within five miles or so.....

Who is the one claiming this ? Kroger Locations of Interstate hwy, or at large Destination locations might be good.

Hopefully a tad of common sense is used in placement.

But, one never knows about Tesla.

Many SUPERCHARGER Locations are having major problems with fixing non functioning stalls and power to the stalls. Your lucky to get 60KW or 70KW while charging. One has to be vigilant and report these sites and encourage others while charging to report.

...... But, one could ignore these situations, many do

Yeah, my worry was more about local congestion and ICEing. But as some have mentioned, if the parking lots are huge, and the stalls are located appropriately far away, ICE shouldn't be a problem. And, of course, I'm forgetting new vehicles don't have unlimited Supercharging.

Many Fred Meyers have huge parking lots, especially the ones in smaller towns. But I was just in the Ballard (urban Seattle) store and it took several minutes to find a place to park, because it's got a small lot and it was very busy. (the 2 Blink J1772s were both free but I didn't need charging.) On the other hand, the supercharger in Sandy, OR (next door to Boring, OR) is about a 5 minute walk from the store in a Huuuugggge parking lot...hard to imagine it ever getting ICEd. (probably the nearest nationwide analogy to the type of store Freddy's is is WalMart, but they aren't as big or aggressive)

I don't see any reason we shouldn't eventually have superchargers in lots of parking lots of any size, even in big cities. At the moment, there aren't that many of them and we're thinking of each as a precious resource. The day will come that they're as commonplace and busy as gas stations are today, and be no more likely to be ICEd as a gas station. If they're busy, there's another one down the street. I don't know if Freddy's management has seen this future but they do seem to realize that EVs really are coming. Eventually could be a long time, but I'm thinking that future is only 10 years or so out.

-Snortybartfast

Reactions: Rocky_H
I agree. But so far Tesla has installed two Superchargers at a Fred Meyers: in Kennewick WA and now in Klamath Falls OR. I have not seen any posts about an HPWC at a Fred Meyers location. Maybe there are some but I am not aware of them.
Actually there are many Fred Meyers that have Superchargers that I have personally been to, Sandy OR, Bend OR, Klamath Falls OR, Kennewick WA, and there are currently installing in Monroe WA (12 stalls, 6 back in , 6 pull in). I have to believe that there are many more that I don't know about. I will bet Fred Meyer will also host superchargers planned for Sequim WA.

Some discussion in other threads spawned by the Tesla blog post yesterday and new Supercharger map is that the massive buildout has been facilitated by the agreement with Fred Meyers to place Superchargers at many of their locations. For all we know, Fred Meyers is contributing to the construction cost. That is speculation on my part.

Glad to see Fred Meyers, like other companies such as Target and Best Western, are forward thinking and supporting SuperChargers on their properties. Here's a pic from Thursday, June 21st 2018, around noon. No ICEing problem here at the Klamath Falls, OR SuC. I appreciate the use of their rest rooms. Wisely, they place them in the middle of the store. So we have made our purchases, men's shorts, flip flops, etc. We also stop at the SuC at the Fred Meyers in Bend, OR. Good business. I am glad to respond with making purchases in their stores!

IMG_1968.jpg