Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to J1772 adapter recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the goal is to charge a non-Tesla at home, another option is to switch to using a 50A outlet. If an additional 50A outlet isn't practical, an electrician could take the power for the HPWC and use it instead for a 50A outlet and add a 50A plug onto the end of the HPWC. And then use whatever the other EV vendor recommends for charging from a 50A outlet.

When we added solar panels and PowerWalls to our house, we had the electricians add an extra 50A outlet (in addition to our two hard-wired HPWCs) - and now use it to provide power to our RV (which unfortunately is a diesel - since there isn't an EV/RV - yet).

If we added a non-Tesla EV, we probably would use a 50A outlet and not share an HPWC between a Tesla and non-Tesla - and risk introducing charging problems by connecting non-Tesla hardware to the HPWC (which might void the 8 year warranty on our Tesla battery packs.

Isn't it a much greater risk to plug/unplug a NEMA 14-50 connector on a regular basis than using an adapter on a connector that is built to last 10.000 insertions?

And as for the perceived warranty issue: the HPWC manual states that the unit must be hard-wired. It further states:
Incorrect installation and testing of the High Power Wall Connector could potentially damage either the vehicle’s Battery and/or the High Power Wall Connector itself. Any resulting damage is excluded from the warranty for both the vehicle and the High Power Wall Connector.
An adapter or an additional non-Tesla wall connector seems to be a much better solution than tampering with the existing HPWC.

Reactions: Rocky_H
If the goal is to charge a non-Tesla at home, another option is to switch to using a 50A outlet. If an additional 50A outlet isn't practical, an electrician could take the power for the HPWC and use it instead for a 50A outlet and add a 50A plug onto the end of the HPWC. And then use whatever the other EV vendor recommends for charging from a 50A outlet.

When we added solar panels and PowerWalls to our house, we had the electricians add an extra 50A outlet (in addition to our two hard-wired HPWCs) - and now use it to provide power to our RV (which unfortunately is a diesel - since there isn't an EV/RV - yet).

If we added a non-Tesla EV, we probably would use a 50A outlet and not share an HPWC between a Tesla and non-Tesla - and risk introducing charging problems by connecting non-Tesla hardware to the HPWC (which might void the 8 year warranty on our Tesla battery packs.
I unserstand and appreciate you wanting to keep everything walled-off and Tesla specific, but this really isn’t rocket science. I just need to provide electricity to a second car which happens to use a std J1772 port. Why would any of that matter to the point of potentially voiding the 8yr battery warranty on my P85D?!?! The HPWC knows that I used it on a non-Tesla?
Have you never used your UMC or J1772-to-Tesla adapter to charge at a public L2 station like ChargePoint, EVGo, etc.? I don’t believe Tesla requires electrons come only from their hardware or infrastructure. :/

Good grief, that doesn't solve the issue though. From the circuit, there then needs to be an EVSE inline to get to the car. So if you do that, then he would need to get/buy a different EVSE to plug into the 14-50 outlet. Some new electric cars come with something like that, but a lot of them only come with kind of cheap 120V only charging cables, so would require buying something anyway.

Can you tone down the fear mongering? The Tesla wall connectors can use standard J1772 signaling so they can be connected seamlessly through one of these types of adapters. These are not scary.

Arrived on Thursday, ahead of schedule. Really is a heavy-duty and well-made product. Tested it just now and works as advertised after waiting a few seconds as recommended. Def a tight fit, but it should loosen up with more use. They did include a small tube of grease as well (dialectric at that, apparently), but I’ll see if thingns loosen up on their own. Highly recommended so far.

Attachments

• FC6840A3-486F-4844-97B6-96416E822DDC.jpeg
    FC6840A3-486F-4844-97B6-96416E822DDC.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: kayak1
A bit late in your case, but check with the vendor on the continuous current rating (24/7) of the adapter before you buy.

The "40A" Tesla Tap adapter you bought is only rated for 32A continuous current. It's only rated to pass current through at 40A for up to 3 hours. I think most large-battery EVs are able to charge for well over 3 hours on 240V. In your case I see you're just charging a Nissan Leaf, which I think has 32A onboard charger, so you're fine. I would steer clear of any vendor who does not have a continuous current rating and/or is not willing to provide you with one in writing upon request. This includes many of the cheap no-name Chinese adapters on Amazon/Ebay/Aliexpress. I applaud Tesla Tap for their transparency so consumers can make an educated decision.

Screenshot from 2021-05-16 13-08-57.png

The QCP JDapter Stub mentioned earlier in this thread is rated for 40A continuous current, and so that's the one I decided to buy. They also have an 80A version to be used with vehicles that can charge at 48A like the new Bolt EUV, VW ID4 and Ford Mach-E. For owners of these kinds of vehicles that have an onboard charger greater than 32A, and use the Tesla Tap, please do not charge for more than 3 hours. My guess is that the connectors and/or wiring is not rated for the higher current. Tesla Tap decided to use lower-rated components to keep the costs low (hence JDapter Stub costs 2x more than Tesla Tap).

Last edited:
To head off any concerns about charging etiquette/liberty taking from Destination charger use, I currently own a P85D and am asking this question because I want to use my HPWC to charge the incoming EV as well. Thanks in advance.
Following your thread with interest. I am a Model X owner with a Gen2 Tesla Home wall charger. I have an order for the VW iD.4 Pro AWD. - Looked at the Electrify America Home Charger (the group that VW has partnered with), but I am not impressed. So I was thinking that if I could find a suitable adapter, I may begin by using my Tesla HPWC. Thanks to Doanster1 for you initial post.

Following your thread with interest. I am a Model X owner with a Gen2 Tesla Home wall charger. I have an order for the VW iD.4 Pro AWD. - Looked at the Electrify America Home Charger (the group that VW has partnered with), but I am not impressed. So I was thinking that if I could find a suitable adapter, I may begin by using my Tesla HPWC. Thanks to Doanster1 for you initial post.
Absolutely zero issues so far so still highly recommended from me. I’m also using it with a Gen2 HPWC so matching your setup.
Sharing it hasn’t been an issue. Just takes a bit of planning to maximize our ToU savings by charging off-peak.

Reactions: CaptainX
Absolutely zero issues so far so still highly recommended from me. I’m also using it with a Gen2 HPWC so matching your setup.
Sharing it hasn’t been an issue. Just takes a bit of planning to maximize our ToU savings by charging off-peak.
I know you’ve already purchased your adapter, but I highly recommend this one for its more compact size and fits nicely in my driver’s door pocket.

EVCARS Tesla to J1772 Charging... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HGC4618?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
F5227CC3-FF55-4344-80BB-11105D4E4F3F.jpegE03610BD-5F42-44E6-89BF-D37866A304E8.jpeg547EB2E3-60D8-46E6-A153-24AF7AB1D052.jpeg9B304D22-A872-40A0-8D25-DB4596C89AC7.jpeg

I would take care of using that one in public areas. Since it sticks out so much while it's plugged in, people that walk in between cars will get annoyed by having it blocking their path. Worst case scenario, they might not see it and walk right into it, breaking either the adapter or your charging port. For charging at home, it's fine.

This is probably why many of the other popular adapters have instead decided to make a 1 ft cable dropdown instead of a straight plug/adapter.

Also:
Our Tesla adapter can NOT be adapted to the following models:E-golf, bmw i3, tesla gen 3 wall charger, Tesla SuperCharger, Third Generation charges.
I wonder why it doesn't work with Gen 3 Wall Connector, e-Golf or i3. That seems like a pretty bad limitation for long-term, once Tesla upgrades all their destination chargers to Gen 3. I believe most of them are currently Gen 2.

One of the reviewers mention:
...on my wife's VW e-Golf it never starts to charge, the car reports a "No current present" error.
I asked for a replacement to see if the first one was just faulty, but both behave exactly the same, so I assume that the charge protocol was not implemented properly.

I know Tesla chargers are finicky/proprietary (mine is a v3) so not sure who to blame...

Last edited:
I would take care of using that one in public areas. Since it sticks out so much while it's plugged in, people that walk in between cars will get annoyed by having it blocking their path. Worst case scenario, they might not see it and walk right into it, breaking either the adapter or your charging port. For charging at home, it's fine.

This is probably why many of the other popular adapters have instead decided to make a 1 ft cable dropdown instead of a straight plug/adapter.

Also:

I wonder why it doesn't work with Gen 3 Wall Connector, e-Golf or i3. That seems like a pretty bad limitation for long-term, once Tesla upgrades all their destination chargers to Gen 3. I believe most of them are currently Gen 2.

One of the reviewers mention:
If you try charging a non Tesla vehicle with a gen 3 wall connector and it doesn’t work, that’s because the owner of said wall connector chose to only allow Tesla vehicles to charge.

If you try charging a non Tesla vehicle with a gen 3 wall connector and it doesn’t work, that’s because the owner of said wall connector chose to only allow Tesla vehicles to charge.
Uh-huh. Just for the sake of testing, I set my gen3 wall connector to charge only Tesla vehicles and it still charges my gf's Bolt and my motorcycle just fine. The setting doesn't do anything. This may change with a new firmware, though.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and kishkaru
Just so people know, these Tesla to J1772 adapters are "dumb" adapters. They have no chips or electronics inside and just basically route the connections from one plug to the other. So if they don't work with a specific car, that means there's some incompatibility in the way the J1772 standard was implemented by either the car manufacturer or Tesla in that specific EVSE.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

I believe the Dongle design was a workaround from the original gofundme Jdapter design. It was the opposite configuration of Tesla’s J1772 adapter.

I personally make it a point NOT to charge my Volt at public chargers unless it just happens to be convenient and there are several chargers to choose from. In the beginning the Volt was the only EV out there. Now with so many true BEV’s, I consider it ICEing to charge a Volt publicly. Currently, I only use the adapter with my Model 3’s UMC w/ 14-50 plug.

Reactions: CaptainX and kayak1
I consider it ICEing to charge a Volt publicly
I leased a Chevy Volt before I bought my Tesla Model 3. My thinking on this has evolved over that time, because of my experience with the Volt and the Model 3, and as the public infrastructure has changed. IMHO, priority for public Level 2 EVSEs is, from most in need to least:
  1. Any BEV that needs the charge to get to its destination, or a PHEV that's out of gas and needs a charge to get to a gas station or its destination.
  2. Any PHEV that needs the charge to get to its destination on electricity.
  3. Any BEV or PHEV that does not need the charge to reach its destination (on electricity, for the PHEV).
Of course, you can't tell just by looking at a vehicle whether it needs a charge to reach its destination, but you can tell a car's range (at least, give or take a bit). A first-generation Leaf has a lower range, and is therefore more likely to need a charge to get somewhere, than a Tesla Model 3 (especially one with a "Dual Motor" emblem on its trunk). Aside from hotel stops on road trips, it's rare for any EV with 200+ miles of range to need a Level 2 charge, so #1 really isn't likely to be a very common scenario with EVs that aren't compliance cars, and those are becoming increasingly rare as a proportion of EVs. PHEVs, OTOH, are still quite common, so I certainly don't get upset when I see them charging in public. Despite being #2 in the list, that scenario is probably the more common one. Also, with DC fast charging becoming more available, I expect that most BEV owners who need a charge to get somewhere will seek out DC fast chargers rather than Level 2 EVSEs -- but of course if a DC fast charger is out of the car's range, a Level 2 EVSE may be a necessary stop-gap. There are also a few BEVs without DC fast charging capabilities.

For myself, I rarely charge my Model 3 on public Level 2 equipment any more; except when I'm on a road trip, I'm not likely to need to charge to get home, so I'm likely to be in category #3. I'll do it sometimes, though, if there hasn't been a PlugShare check-in lately or if recent entries provide contradictory reviews, just to help add some data to PlugShare. I'll do this only if there are other unused stalls available at that site, though, and I try not to charge for long.