Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to J1772 Adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IIRC, 6A is the minimum pilot signal in the J1772 spec, so if anything is plugged in, it should have 6A available.
Well then my reality matches theory then. Always a good thing. It also means when I build our new home with a 100A circuit that a fully charged but still plugged in car won't prevent another car from pulling a full 72A (unless they have dual chargers and could pull 80A, but that's rapidly becoming a rare breed).

Your comments stating that non-Tesla charge stations are predominantly at "dealers" is just silly and factually incorrect. Yes, Nissan and BMW dealers (and even some GM dealers) have some charge stations at some dealers (Nissan might have stations at most dealers). But, to suggest that this is even close to the majority of public EV charging is simply wrong.
I'm not sure why only today I get a notification about this post, but I'm talking about a majority of non-Tesla manufacturer sponsored chargers being at dealers.

As I mentioned before, 4 categories of AC infrastructure:
1) Paid stations by third party charge networks
2) Free stations by government, clubs, utilities, etc
3) Free stations by manufacturers at dealerships/manufacturer locations
4) Free stations by manufacturers at non-dealer/manufacturer locations (hotels, malls, shops, etc)
Speculation - New charging plug?

My point is that for Tesla, more destination chargers are under #4 than #3. For other manufacturer's it's the opposite by a large margin. If manufacturers can rely on an adapter to allow their EVs to use the Tesla destination charging network, they have no incentive to build their own equivalent.

Yes, you could find some locations (particularly in areas with low EV adoption) that the ONLY charge station for a million miles is a Nissan dealer, for instance.

I absolutely agree with you on the situation presented in the quote above. Don't expect to stroll into ANY location where the charge station is either held out for public use or is directly or indirectly owned by a competing auto manufacturer.

Obviously, Tesla owners currently ignore this counsel, as there are plenty of Tesla cars plugged in at Nissan dealers on PlugShare using their Tesla supplied J1772 and CHAdeMO adaptors. Hopefully, folks with the JDapter Stub will have a higher threshold of EV civility by not plugging in at a Tesla Service Center with their Toyota Plug-In Prius or other non-Tesla car. Sadly, we both know that statement is merely a hope.
The Tesla owners get that impression because J1772 is the public charge standard (all the third party charge networks use this). However, for the non-Teslas using a JDapter at Tesla destination chargers, they know it's a proprietary EVSE that was intended for a Tesla.

As to the repeated shills that Tesla "paid for all the destination charge stations", that's obviously not the case, either.
There's going to be a few small exceptions, but for almost all of the chargers on the Tesla map, they would have been paid for by Tesla (again, with the EVSE donated and up to $1500 installation per unit).
Destination Charging | Tesla

Reactions: hcsharp
Tested out @TonyWilliams Jdapter Stub at a hotel I'm staying at. Flawless victory! Recognized my Bolt almost immediately and started charging. Woke up to a full charge in the morning. :cool:
IMG_20170929_224506974.jpg IMG_20170929_224532997.jpg

This might be in the wrong forum (if so I apologize in advance). I've got two EV'a (P85D/500e). My garage is setup for 220V 30A charging for the Model S, but, for the 500e, it didn't make sense to put down $1k for a car that sees 3000-5000 miles a year... So I'm stuck with the 3 miles/hr charging with the 120V plug.

Knowing that Tesla has J1772 to Tesla adapter so you can charge the car at many charging stations out there, is there any Tesla to 1772 chargers so I can charge my other electric car with the HPWC?

Saw a video here: New EV charging adapter lets J1772 car owners use Tesla HPWC charging stations – cool? or theft?

But can't seem to find any pricing/purchase info. Now, obviously I won't be doing to charge an EV at Tesla, its just for my own home use. Any pointers? Thanks!
The adapter is available from Page Redirection if you have not found it yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3753-500x500.jpg
    IMG_3753-500x500.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 97
If your JDapter Stub has a green dot on the lower front portion of the white plug, then your unit has some electronics that may be confusing the Tesla load sharing software.

I would leave the DIP switch in the "legacy J1772" position for your LEAF. Then, you have an option for us (or you) to have a switch in the white plug that allows for either Legacy J1772 or Tesla logic. If you open our white plug, you need to add a simple switch between the green 18 gauge wire from the ground pin, before our electronics bundle that is going to the pilot signal pin.

1) Closed switch position on JDapter Stub is for "Tesla Logic" for 2nd Gen Wall Connectors only

2) Open switch position on JDapter Stub is "Legacy J1772" for 2nd Gen units and all other Tesla charge stations, including UMC / Molbile Connector.

Hope this helps.
Can you expand on this "green Dot". I have a JDapter with a green Dot. Does the dot mean my JDapter has extra electronics that can defeat the "Tesla only" setting on the newer HPWCs?

I have installed two Tesla destination locations and both included a Clipper Creek HCS 60 (48 Amps) so all EVs can charge. Since other EVs don’t charge above 32 amps everyone should be able to charge at full power. If a Bolt used the Tesla charger 60% of the capacity is going to waste.

Reactions: hcsharp