TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla to J1772 Adapter?

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by ReversePolarity, May 21, 2016.

1. miimura

miimura Active Member

IIRC, 6A is the minimum pilot signal in the J1772 spec, so if anything is plugged in, it should have 6A available.

2. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Well then my reality matches theory then. Always a good thing. It also means when I build our new home with a 100A circuit that a fully charged but still plugged in car won't prevent another car from pulling a full 72A (unless they have dual chargers and could pull 80A, but that's rapidly becoming a rare breed).

3. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why only today I get a notification about this post, but I'm talking about a majority of non-Tesla manufacturer sponsored chargers being at dealers.

As I mentioned before, 4 categories of AC infrastructure:
    1) Paid stations by third party charge networks
    2) Free stations by government, clubs, utilities, etc
    3) Free stations by manufacturers at dealerships/manufacturer locations
    4) Free stations by manufacturers at non-dealer/manufacturer locations (hotels, malls, shops, etc)
    Speculation - New charging plug?

My point is that for Tesla, more destination chargers are under #4 than #3. For other manufacturer's it's the opposite by a large margin. If manufacturers can rely on an adapter to allow their EVs to use the Tesla destination charging network, they have no incentive to build their own equivalent.

The Tesla owners get that impression because J1772 is the public charge standard (all the third party charge networks use this). However, for the non-Teslas using a JDapter at Tesla destination chargers, they know it's a proprietary EVSE that was intended for a Tesla.

There's going to be a few small exceptions, but for almost all of the chargers on the Tesla map, they would have been paid for by Tesla (again, with the EVSE donated and up to $1500 installation per unit).
    Destination Charging | Tesla

• Like x 1
  4. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

Tested out @TonyWilliams Jdapter Stub at a hotel I'm staying at. Flawless victory! Recognized my Bolt almost immediately and started charging. Woke up to a full charge in the morning. :cool:
    IMG_20170929_224506974.jpg IMG_20170929_224532997.jpg

• Like x 2
  5. cs13368

cs13368 Member

The adapter is available from Page Redirection if you have not found it yet.

Attached Files:

6. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

Can you expand on this "green Dot". I have a JDapter with a green Dot. Does the dot mean my JDapter has extra electronics that can defeat the "Tesla only" setting on the newer HPWCs?

7. Park2670

Park2670 Member

Any chance of another sale sometime this summer? Looking to get one of these for my Fiat 500e.

8. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

They are $239 now.
    JDapter Stub

9. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Ooh, there's an 80A version now. Cool.

10. Park2670

Park2670 Member

Yea, I see the current price. Was hoping it would go back on sale like it was last August for $160.

Unless I can buy @ccutrers and he orders a new 80A version? ;)

• Funny x 1
  11. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

How desperate are you? My Model 3 is ordered, so I won’t need it after a few more months. I’d possibly be willing to sell then.

12. Park2670

Park2670 Member

Not desperate at all. Can wait.

13. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

But is there anything besides a Tesla that charges above 32A?

14. SageBrush

SageBrush 2020: Drain the Sewer

Sure, but you have to fiddle with the J1772 adapter and you miss out on the handle/car integration.

15. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I think he means any car that charges faster than 32A, not any EVSEs that charge faster than 32A.

• Like x 1
  16. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Still a Tesla, but not a Tesla connector: Tesla Roadster.

17. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I have installed two Tesla destination locations and both included a Clipper Creek HCS 60 (48 Amps) so all EVs can charge. Since other EVs don’t charge above 32 amps everyone should be able to charge at full power. If a Bolt used the Tesla charger 60% of the capacity is going to waste.

• Like x 1
  18. truebeliEVer

truebeliEVer Member

Toyota RAV4 EV

• Informative x 1
  19. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

But that’s still only 40A, which is good to go on the JDapter stub 40 (he rates them by actual continuous charge current, so you don’t have to futz around with the 80/125% factor).

20. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

With your personally owned TWC, no doubt...