TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla to J1772 Adapter?

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by ReversePolarity, May 21, 2016.

1. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Dude, he’s in Utah. Probably Park City judging by his display name. There are several destination chargers up there, but it’s a small enough place if he plans on using any of them he knows the owners personally and has already asked permission. Other than that, he doesn’t really have enough range to get to any. Well, the Tesla Store itself. So let’s chill with the accusations unless someone comes right out and proclaims to want to use it at a Tesla destination charger without permission. Then we can go re-read the first several pages of the discussion and conclude that some will end up agreeing to disagree, and it’s not a large enough problem for Tesla to step in and set a more explicit policy anyway (or sue Tony for making the adapter).

2. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Which is orthogonal to Tesla's intent it would seem. But given that you referenced the other thread, you likely already know this.

I'm not of the opinion that convenience is a valid rationale for taking what's not intended for you.

Given the folks here proclaiming they gladly will use their adapters to defeat the Tesla protocol designed to enable destination TWC's to work with Tesla cars, some knowing full well that they are gaming the system, others perhaps being ignorant, I'll continue to counter that.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Park2670

Park2670 Member

Thanks for the comments. I live in Eagle Mountain, so close to you @ccutrer. I will be using this only for my Fiat at home on the TWC, don't need it for out and about.

Just waiting for white interior to come to dual motor non performance, or to accidentally find a bag full of cash and order a performance car. Ive been waiting since 2013 for this car.

4. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Yes, that was my question- do you have evidence @Park2670 was one openly discussing this? Personally, I use my JDapter at home daily, and have for about a year. If someone already has home charging arranged, it’s way too inconvenient to make special trips elsewhere to get free electricity- especially at L2 speeds. So... I don’t care enough to even look at his post history for his intended use of it. It’s enough for me that this is a Tesla forum, not a Fiat or Nissan forum, so if someone is here that’s not at least a Tesla enthusiast—if not owner—trolling for a deal on a JDapter, they’ve got serious issues they should probably go see a therapist about!

• Like x 1
  5. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Perfect. You can barely reach _any_ destination chargers from home then. And it’s not like any of them would really be worth visiting unless you’re just passing through and need a cheap hotel. Maybe The Grand America would be a viable “destination” for a local.

Just more evidence that the probability of abuse happening here is practically nil.

6. scaesare

No doubt. Unfortunately we have some of those around.

In any case, it's why my post was phrased the way it was... not as accusation, but rather to elicit a response.

Glad see @Park2670 will be finding good use for his TWC.

• Like x 1
  7. roblab

roblab Active Member

I do hope you bought a Tesla to ease the discomfort of waiting. I waited since 2006, but not necessarily for this car. I bought a Tesla and drove it. The 3 is pretty good, but the S is awesome, and makes a good ride while waiting.

8. Park2670

Park2670 Member

Nope, I have driven several, but never owned. Got a Volt and drove it for 50k miles, and then the Fiat 500e. Still waiting for a Tesla I can afford.

9. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

Ahhh - the model S is a good ride while waiting. Begs the question - waiting for WHAT. I think I'll just drive and get the Tesla Grin and not even think about waiting.

10. Park2670

Park2670 Member

Well when you are young and raising children its hard to find a way to spend tons of money on a car. Thus the Volt and 500e to get close to the Tesla experience.

Sorry for taking this thread so off topic. Will be picking up a adapter for my 500e either new or from ccuture until I can find a way to afford a Model 3. Already ordered the TWC, just need the car now.

11. davewill

davewill Active Member

Sigh.... Access is controlled by the site owners. Not Tesla (unless it's a Tesla managed site) and definitely not you.

• Like x 2
  12. scaesare

And has been discussed in the other thread, there are apparently site owners ignorant of the intent.. some of which have been shown to not even realize a HPWC/TWC is not designed to charge EV's other than Teslas.

It's pretty clear that Tesla having to add a mechanism to their charge stations that prevent non-Teslas from charging at destination locations, and the adapter makers having to engineer around this by specifically adding a defeat device is an indicator of intent.

And as also has been discussed there, the verbiage on their destination charging page refers specifically to providing charging for Tesla vehicles and Tesla customers.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  13. davewill

davewill Active Member

Luckily, what you think doesn't matter, only what the site owners think... And almost none of them are the least bit interested in telling their paying customers they can't charge there.

• Like x 2
  14. scaesare

Luckily for those charging at places Tesla doesn't intend for at their destination locations.

Unluckily for the rest of us.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  15. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

Hmm. Does that mean that if I used the Tesla WC on my S60 about 48% of the capacity is going to waste? Interesting way to look at it...

• Funny x 1
  16. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I think it may be better to way to look at it, as 48% if the capacity is idle and can't be used.

• Like x 1
  17. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

48% wasted is better than 100% capacity being wasted. Non-Tesla Jdapter owners can help reduce the waste, so their usage of Tesla destination stations should be encouraged. :)

• Disagree x 1
  18. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

That is why Tesla normally installs a Clipper Creek as well. Non Teslas should use that when possible.

19. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

Sure, but there are a number of Tesla-only destination sites out there. And in the event some other non-Tesla owner is using the sole J1772? JDapter to the rescue!

20. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

Word is the JDapter Stub will NOT work with the newest destination stations.
    @TonyWilliams care to comment?

Jdapter won't work with NEW Tesla destination chargers

I purchased a Tesla Jdapter from Quick Charge Power for $239, and tested it at my local Tesla Florida Palm Beach Gardens Mall store (with their permission), as well as at the local Hilton Hotel, where the Jdapter performed successfully to charge my Chevy Bolt EV.

• https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm;jsessionid=C4695118DDA556CBCD7E0C610BA31A19.p3plqscsfapp003
      When I was in Stuart, Florida two weeks ago, I searched PlugShare and found that the city had just installed 4 new Tesla destination chargers and 2 J1772 (L2) chargers the previous week at the Kiwanis Youth Park there.
      All chargers were active and the J1772 charged well; however, my vehicle WOULD NOT ACCEPT THE CHARGE when plugged into these NEW Tesla installations, with my Tesla Tap Jdapter.
      It appears that the Jdapter CANNOT be used at the NEWER Tesla destination chargers installed after Spring 2018. They may have gotten wise its use, and programmed a feature to block Jdapter access to NEW Tesla destination chargers.
      I sent a message to "Quick Charge Power," advising them of this and asked if there was a remedy. One week later, I had to send a follow-up request when they did not respond and, now, another one week later, I still have not received a reply. It seems that "Quick Charge Power," is choosing to ignore the problem, hoping that it will go away.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum - Active Topics

• Like x 1