TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla to J1772 Adapter?

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by ReversePolarity, May 21, 2016.

1. WMAC

WMAC Member

Is the JDapter still available and will it still work with the portable charge cable from 2017 Model S? I have a Model S and buying a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for my wife and want her to have the option to charge at 30A during the day between trips and use the supplied 12A charger at night. I don’t want to install another 14-50 outlet and this seems to be a good alternative.

2. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

Yes, JDapter Stub™ will work perfectly.

• Helpful x 1
  3. TonyWilliams

Not sure where the email was sent, but I personally was out of the office for most of July 2018. We have staff at our office, Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm Pacific.

1-844-EV-PARTS
    1-844-387-2787
    1-760-798-0342

We get new Tesla HPWC GEN2 regularly, so I’m not aware of any changes. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t a change in programming (which is updated through the cars, so it wouldn’t matter if it was an older unit or not).

Anyhoo, I’m happy to grab a brand new, off the shelf HPWC tomorrow and test it.

• Like x 2
  4. miimura

miimura Active Member

It is known that there is a switch inside the Gen2 Wall Connector that makes it require digital communication with the car. This will prevent it from working with non-Tesla vehicles, and ironically, even the Tesla Roadster. This feature first appeared in Europe where the connector is common with all vehicles, unlike North America where Tesla uses a unique connector. Personally, I would not travel expecting to use the JDapter on Tesla Destination chargers and I would not expect site host personnel to know if it works with non-Tesla vehicles or not. Your only chance is that if you leave it connected for long enough - probably a minute is enough, it may start charging after the digital communication times out.

If it is your own Wall Connector or Mobile Connector, you will not have any problem with the JDapter charging non-Tesla vehicles.

• Informative x 3
  5. TonyWilliams

JDapter Stub™ (newer model with a green dot) has electronics inside to defeat the digital communication.

It works with ALL Tesla charge stations in North America and Japan, including:

*HPWC Wall Connector GEN2 (using either digital or analog communication settings, using North America / Japan Tesla plug)
    *HPWC Wall Connector GEN1 (using modern North America / Japan Tesla plug)
    *HPWC Wall Connector ROADSTER (MODIFIED to modern North America / Japan Tesla plug)
    *UMC Mobile Connector GEN2 (using modern North America / Japan Tesla plug)
    *UMC Mobile Connector GEN1 (using modern North America / Japan Tesla plug)
    *UMC Mobile Connector ROADSTER (MODIFIED to modern North America / Japan Tesla plug)

JDapter Stub™ does not work with:

@tesla Supercharger
    @tesla Roadster charge stations (for 2008-2011 cars)

Obviously, any individual station can fail.

Any J1772 / Type 1 equipped car (which is ALL non-Tesla cars in North America and Japan) can refuse to accept the Tesla charge station. It happens.

• Informative x 2
  6. cs13368

cs13368 Member

I have been using a TeslaTap since they came out and not found any Tesla destination chargers that it wont work on.
    I just plug in the Tesla connector and wait 30 seconds before plugging into my car.
    I purchased it at http://www.umc-j1772.com

7. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Got a complaint that an adapter would not work on two new HPWC Tesla provided me. We had 2 bolts charging using the other 2 j1772, and the third tried both of the TeslaHPWC and couldn't get them to activate. I dont have any problem with using the HPWC for a non Tesla, can I activate it?

8. cs13368

cs13368 Member

It looks like you did not wait the required 30 seconds after plugging the Tesla connector into the TeslaTap before you plugged it into the EV. see Page Redirection for more information.

9. jgs

jgs Active Member

Someone rated this funny, which... ok? It wasn’t intended that way. Maybe it’s because not everyone knows that older Model S charge ports didn’t close themselves, you had to (gasp) do it manually, which is what I meant by “powered”.

10. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Active Member

I can confirm that Tony’s device works fine with the handful of Gen 2 chargers we have either used it with or tried it with. Handy to have although we haven’t used it much.