Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to J1772 Adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the JDapter still available and will it still work with the portable charge cable from 2017 Model S? I have a Model S and buying a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for my wife and want her to have the option to charge at 30A during the day between trips and use the supplied 12A charger at night. I don’t want to install another 14-50 outlet and this seems to be a good alternative.

Is the JDapter still available and will it still work with the portable charge cable from 2017 Model S? I have a Model S and buying a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for my wife and want her to have the option to charge at 30A during the day between trips and use the supplied 12A charger at night. I don’t want to install another 14-50 outlet and this seems to be a good alternative.

Yes, JDapter Stub™ will work perfectly.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
It appears that the Jdapter CANNOT be used at the NEWER Tesla destination chargers installed after Spring 2018. They may have gotten wise its use, and programmed a feature to block Jdapter access to NEW Tesla destination chargers.
I sent a message to "Quick Charge Power," advising them of this and asked if there was a remedy. One week later, I had to send a follow-up request when they did not respond and, now, another one week later, I still have not received a reply. It seems that "Quick Charge Power," is choosing to ignore the problem, hoping that it will go away.

Not sure where the email was sent, but I personally was out of the office for most of July 2018. We have staff at our office, Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm Pacific.

1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342

We get new Tesla HPWC GEN2 regularly, so I’m not aware of any changes. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t a change in programming (which is updated through the cars, so it wouldn’t matter if it was an older unit or not).

Anyhoo, I’m happy to grab a brand new, off the shelf HPWC tomorrow and test it.

Reactions: GSP and jgs
Word is the JDapter Stub will NOT work with the newest destination stations.
@TonyWilliams care to comment?

Jdapter won't work with NEW Tesla destination chargers

I purchased a Tesla Jdapter from Quick Charge Power for $239, and tested it at my local Tesla Florida Palm Beach Gardens Mall store (with their permission), as well as at the local Hilton Hotel, where the Jdapter performed successfully to charge my Chevy Bolt EV.

• https://shop.quickchargepower.com/J...95118DDA556CBCD7E0C610BA31A19.p3plqscsfapp003
    When I was in Stuart, Florida two weeks ago, I searched PlugShare and found that the city had just installed 4 new Tesla destination chargers and 2 J1772 (L2) chargers the previous week at the Kiwanis Youth Park there.
    All chargers were active and the J1772 charged well; however, my vehicle WOULD NOT ACCEPT THE CHARGE when plugged into these NEW Tesla installations, with my Tesla Tap Jdapter.
    It appears that the Jdapter CANNOT be used at the NEWER Tesla destination chargers installed after Spring 2018. They may have gotten wise its use, and programmed a feature to block Jdapter access to NEW Tesla destination chargers.
    I sent a message to "Quick Charge Power," advising them of this and asked if there was a remedy. One week later, I had to send a follow-up request when they did not respond and, now, another one week later, I still have not received a reply. It seems that "Quick Charge Power," is choosing to ignore the problem, hoping that it will go away.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum - Active Topics
It is known that there is a switch inside the Gen2 Wall Connector that makes it require digital communication with the car. This will prevent it from working with non-Tesla vehicles, and ironically, even the Tesla Roadster. This feature first appeared in Europe where the connector is common with all vehicles, unlike North America where Tesla uses a unique connector. Personally, I would not travel expecting to use the JDapter on Tesla Destination chargers and I would not expect site host personnel to know if it works with non-Tesla vehicles or not. Your only chance is that if you leave it connected for long enough - probably a minute is enough, it may start charging after the digital communication times out.

If it is your own Wall Connector or Mobile Connector, you will not have any problem with the JDapter charging non-Tesla vehicles.

It is known that there is a switch inside the Gen2 Wall Connector that makes it require digital communication with the car. This will prevent it from working with non-Tesla vehicles, and ironically, even the Tesla Roadster. This feature first appeared in Europe where the connector is common with all vehicles, unlike North America where Tesla uses a unique connector. Personally, I would not travel expecting to use the JDapter on Tesla Destination chargers and I would not expect site host personnel to know if it works with non-Tesla vehicles or not. Your only chance is that if you leave it connected for long enough - probably a minute is enough, it may start charging after the digital communication times out.

If it is your own Wall Connector or Mobile Connector, you will not have any problem with the JDapter charging non-Tesla vehicles.

JDapter Stub™ (newer model with a green dot) has electronics inside to defeat the digital communication.

It works with ALL Tesla charge stations in North America and Japan, including:

*HPWC Wall Connector GEN2 (using either digital or analog communication settings, using North America / Japan Tesla plug)
*HPWC Wall Connector GEN1 (using modern North America / Japan Tesla plug)
*HPWC Wall Connector ROADSTER (MODIFIED to modern North America / Japan Tesla plug)
*UMC Mobile Connector GEN2 (using modern North America / Japan Tesla plug)
*UMC Mobile Connector GEN1 (using modern North America / Japan Tesla plug)
*UMC Mobile Connector ROADSTER (MODIFIED to modern North America / Japan Tesla plug)

JDapter Stub™ does not work with:

@tesla Supercharger
@tesla Roadster charge stations (for 2008-2011 cars)

Obviously, any individual station can fail.

Any J1772 / Type 1 equipped car (which is ALL non-Tesla cars in North America and Japan) can refuse to accept the Tesla charge station. It happens.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and David99
Got a complaint that an adapter would not work on two new HPWC Tesla provided me. We had 2 bolts charging using the other 2 j1772, and the third tried both of the TeslaHPWC and couldn't get them to activate. I dont have any problem with using the HPWC for a non Tesla, can I activate it?

Got a complaint that an adapter would not work on two new HPWC Tesla provided me. We had 2 bolts charging using the other 2 j1772, and the third tried both of the TeslaHPWC and couldn't get them to activate. I dont have any problem with using the HPWC for a non Tesla, can I activate it?
It looks like you did not wait the required 30 seconds after plugging the Tesla connector into the TeslaTap before you plugged it into the EV. see Page Redirection for more information.

I have been using a TeslaTap since they came out and not found any Tesla destination chargers that it wont work on.
I just plug in the Tesla connector and wait 30 seconds before plugging into my car.
I purchased it at UMC-J1772 Store
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I installed a new Gen 2 Wall Charger this past weekend (worked great with the Tesla) and when I connected the Jdapter to our 2020 Bolt, it didn't work. This was the only workaround that did it for me! Thanks for sharing this tip.

For some reason, connecting the Jdapter to the Bolt right away and waiting a few mins didn't do anything either. Curious why that may be the case, but my Jdapter does have the green dot on it and the Gen 2 Wall connector is the matte black one that Elon signed via the referral program.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I installed a new Gen 2 Wall Charger this past weekend (worked great with the Tesla) and when I connected the Jdapter to our 2020 Bolt, it didn't work. This was the only workaround that did it for me! Thanks for sharing this tip.

For some reason, connecting the Jdapter to the Bolt right away and waiting a few mins didn't do anything either. Curious why that may be the case, but my Jdapter does have the green dot on it and the Gen 2 Wall connector is the matte black one that Elon signed via the referral program.
I have to wait 15-30 sec before plugging in our leaf.
If you haven't already done so, you should try changing the HPWC to legacy mode operation by moving the HPWC's DIP switch #2 to off. See if that reduces or eliminates the need to wait before plugging in. This, of course, is only an applicable strategy for HPWCs that you own.