Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to J1772 Adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Any adapter of this type would have to be able to reduce the power or the EV wouldn't be particularly happy. I'd guess this would make the adapter about the same cost as the CHAdeMO adapter.
2. The SCs are around 100 to 150 miles apart. How do you use the network with a 50 mile Leaf?
3. Tesla SCs are for trips, not local charging (except in some areas where no one has home charging).
4. Tesla has stated they are willing to open up SCs to any manufacturer that pays to use it.
5. Why should Tesla pay for other manufacturers' to charge?
6. It's really weird that this topic even has any traction. Tesla chargers are for Teslas and those other cars that buy into the system (none so far).
7. If you have home charging, your chances of using any other charger are small, except on trips. In general free non-Tesla chargers are there to promote the business they are at. This is up to the individual business.
This discussion has nothing to do with SuperCharging, and these points don't apply.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Rocky_H
We Rav4 EV owners did pay Tesla through Toyota. If Toyota and Tesla haven't made the Rav4 EV, the Model S and X might not exist today. Some peoples memories are very short.

When I look at the destination charging list, some stations say for customer use only and some say public. Meeting the conditions should be all I need.

The only beef I have is at people who think that an adapter should be "illegal" because they somehow are paying for the spots when it's the site owners who pay the bills and own the spots and make the rules. Not you guys and not Tesla. It all started because the OP wanted an adapter to use his own HPWC with his i3. Folks immediately piled on about how nobody would be allowed to make one, which is a bunch of bunk.
I agree with this. We should all have the ability to share our HPWCs with other EV drivers if that is what we want to do. If those other EV drivers start using HPWC destination chargers with their adapters, well then Tesla will need to find a way to address it. I doubt that will be the case, but Tesla can take care of itself without its owners trying to influence what is or isn't manufactured for the free market.
Also, Nissan has certainly put in public charging, in fact they've sponsored a lot of public DC charging, something that Tesla hasn't done.
Obviously, because Tesla built out its own network. The reason Nissan did as you say is because it was the cheaper option. Tesla is the only company that is actually investing substantial sums of money to install a charging network to facilitate long distance transport. Nissan should not be commended, they should be criticized for doing the bare minimum.
They carefully locked theirs up tight...
You mean by offering to let other manufacturers share the network in exchange for paying into the network? Seems Tesla has offered...
… Tesla didn't hesitate to make an adapter so that their cars could use Nissan's chargers.
Nissan chargers happen to use CHAdeMO, which is a standard used by many public charging locations that have nothing to do with Nissan. Tesla's adapter enables use of CHAdeMO public charging stations throughout the country, some of which happen to be at Nissan dealerships. I don't know of any Tesla owners who helped themselves to a Nissan CHAdeMO charger without first asking for permission.

Reactions: jbcarioca and GSP
What I would do is take down the tesla HPWC and put up a more standard plug connection (i.e. NEMA 14-50) that you could adapt both the model S mobile connector and the 500e connector to. You can sell the HPWC on ebay. You could then plug a single extension cord into the NEMA plug and then change what its plugged into (i.e. the 500e adapter or the MS Mobile Connector). I had always planned to upgrade my Nema 14-50 to a telsa HPWC but I haven't found the need to do it. The HPWC is much fancier but does the same thing as a regular NEMA plug.

What I would do is take down the tesla HPWC and put up a more standard plug connection (i.e. NEMA 14-50) that you could adapt both the model S mobile connector and the 500e connector to. You can sell the HPWC on ebay. You could then plug a single extension cord into the NEMA plug and then change what its plugged into (i.e. the 500e adapter or the MS Mobile Connector). I had always planned to upgrade my Nema 14-50 to a telsa HPWC but I haven't found the need to do it. The HPWC is much fancier but does the same thing as a regular NEMA plug.

Nema 14-50 can only go up to 50A, the HPWC can go up to 100A

Reactions: boaterva and Tree95
I understand your argument, I just find it to be a bunch of malarkey. Tesla puts no restraints on the site owners, it's their call who can and cannot use their plugs. The electrons don't come from Tesla or YOU (BTW I'm pretty sure Tesla doesn't care, just you guys). All of this hand-wringing about an adapter commercial or not is silly. If the site owner says no, then I'll listen. I'd even be likely to ask them if it's all right. You guys, not so much.

How do you know that Tesla doesn't put conditions and requirements on how destination chargers are used? Tesla donates these chargers, therefore Tesla can require the site owner to agree to stipulations as a condition of the donation. I think that's common sense.
Yawn. Tesla doesn't own the locations and doesn't get to make the rules. How hard is that to understand?
Tesla donates the chargers and can stipulate the conditions under which those donations are made. How hard is THAT to understand?

Reactions: hcsharp
It just never occurred to me that plugs wear out. I've never changed a household 120 v socket

You're lucky. I've replaced every outlet in a house I bought because every one would barely hold a plug. Lots of hotels (admittedly mid to lower mid-range) have outlets so worn that even the tiny cube iPhone charger won't stay plugged in and falls out from its own weight.

You're lucky. I've replaced every outlet in a house I bought because every one would barely hold a plug. Lots of hotels (admittedly mid to lower mid-range) have outlets so worn that even the tiny cube iPhone charger won't stay plugged in and falls out from its own weight.
I travel with a short power strip. My cubes and camera chargers always fit into my strip sockets. When US motels have soggy sockets, I just pinch my strips blades a bit, and now I have solid contact. I use foreign adapters as needed. I've been to 50 countries in the last 3 years - jungles/yachts/Antarctic research camps/airplanes/safari/5 star and 1 star accommodations - and this has yet to fail.

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel
Quick Charge Powe was developing a TS02 to J1772 adapter. I don't know if they still are or not, but perhaps they may offer one in the future.

It would come in handy for my Chevy Volt, since I now have two HPWC and a UMC. I plan to get the UMC cord extended to 45 feet by QCP. It would be extra useful if it also could charge J1772 cars.

GSP

Quick Charge Powe was developing a TS02 to J1772 adapter. I don't know if they still are or not, but perhaps they may offer one in the future.

It would come in handy for my Chevy Volt, since I now have two HPWC and a UMC. I plan to get the UMC cord extended to 45 feet by QCP. It would be extra useful if it also could charge J1772 cars.

GSP
If you are already getting QCP to extend your UMC, why don't you just have them convert it to a J1772? that's also something they do. They call it the "Jesla".

If you are already getting QCP to extend your UMC, why don't you just have them convert it to a J1772? that's also something they do. They call it the "Jesla".
That's really the only solution available at this time. You can then easily use Tesla'a J1772 adapter to charge Tesla cars. Also, by all means ask Tony at QCP about the other adapter, he might be getting closer.

I prefer to keep the Tesla plug for two reasons:

1) I will use the UMC with the Tesla, except in rare cases. The tesla plug is nicer, with a button to open the charge port, and no adapter to fiddle with.

2) An adapter would also let me use either one of my two HPWCs with the Volt or a visitors car.

GSP

That's really the only solution available at this time. You can then easily use Tesla'a J1772 adapter to charge Tesla cars. Also, by all means ask Tony at QCP about the other adapter, he might be getting closer.
www.TucsonEV.com will also convert your UMC into a J1772 EVSE, they charger only $90 for the J1772 Plug, $20 to make the crimped connections and shipping back to you.

I will be getting two, one for home, now I can share the circuit between the model S and the RAV4 EV, using the new HPWC, and one to keep in the RAV4 EV for destination charging. I can boost the 200 volts, at most destination charging locations, up to 250 volts and get the full 10kW charge rate. 40 amps at 250 volts = 50 amps at 200 volts.