Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make announcement tomorrow [5/3/2013]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 on both counts here. The March 21 G. Blankenship announcement indicated 3-4 months. June would open up the summer road-trip season. Temple, West Columbus and Madisonville ASAP. Everyone on the interstates, please keep your eyes open for installations in progress.

:)

Superchargers should be next week's announcement, which would allow Model S owners to plan for Memorial Day, which is the beginning of driving season.

Just by him giving a teaser over Twitter, it creates hype. If this is indeed about correcting the "$500 a month" statement, they should just revise the calculator and issue a press release and not keep everyone on pins and needles.

As much as we here at TMC get into a frenzy. This sort of pseudo-hype (look back Elon really just lays a seed, TMC and the Media hype it up to a forest) really works. It is almost free marketing. This morning I had a truck driver come up to me when I was parking at the factory I work at, and ask about my car. When he asked what it was again, it jogged his memory. He said "That guy is guaranteeing to buy back these cars for 3 years right?". Tesla is getting their name out very very widely, and for very very little money. This is marketing genius. Not only are they getting vast exposure for free; Tesla is still mostly dictating the tone, and message.

Annoying to the rabid fans? Yes.
Amazing marketing? YES!!!

A tweet is not 'hype'. Calling a press conference with all major media would be hype.

Not only is a tweet not "hype" but calling a single press conference with all major media is not hype either. If the press's choice to come or not.

Hype is buying media time in TV, Radio, web ads, you tube videos, and so on. A blitz of many media outlets for an extended period.

Nobody has pointed out this announcement only had a one day lead time. Not a week ahead so the speculation could run out of control like an oiled piglet. Still though, we managed 60 posts here on TMC.

Annoying to the rabid fans? Yes.
Amazing marketing? YES!!!

This. Though I'd say Elon managed my own expectations just fine this time around. He didn't say it was major or it was going to change anything in a "v big way". Simply said they're going to announce something that will improve upon something else previously announced.

Not only is a tweet not "hype" but calling a single press conference with all major media is not hype either. If the press's choice to come or not.

Hype is buying media time in TV, Radio, web ads, you tube videos, and so on. A blitz of many media outlets for an extended period.

I'd disagree. Calling a press conference would imply that there is something major worth discussing; something the press would want to hear and want to travel to hear. That's hyping it up. If it turns out to be something lackluster, a lot of time was wasted, and you've got the potential for blow-back. Not to mention the whole crying wolf thing... how many will attend your next press conference?

Anywho, as I said above, I think this one was handled well.

.... Calling a press conference would imply that there is something major worth discussing; something the press would want to hear and want to travel to hear. That's hyping it up. If it turns out to be something lackluster, a lot of time was wasted, and you've got the potential for blow-back. Not to mention the whole crying wolf thing... how many will attend your next press conference?....

I believe you make my point. :)

One subtle point in the Q&A: they've seen a "meaningful" increase in reservations due to the old financing product, and a shift towards 65kWh packs (although 85 is still dominant). The earnings call next week should be interesting if they disclose new reservations details. One of the longstanding questions about Tesla is whether they can maintain demand beyond the early adopter segment.

PALO ALTO, Calif.-- Tesla Motors announced today that it is raising the Model S resale value guarantee to be the highest of any premium sedan brand made in volume (excludes rare, low volume or limited edition vehicles). Buying a Model S through the Tesla financing offering now comes with a guarantee that the resale value will be higher than that of BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus or Jaguar.

To protect people that have already purchased a Model S via this program, the guarantee will extend retroactively to anyone that made use of Tesla financing, created in partnership with US Bank and Wells Fargo, from when it was first announced on April 2, 2013. As with the prior resale guarantee, this higher number is also backed personally by Tesla CEO Elon Musk to give owners complete peace of mind about the long term value of the product.

“We appreciate the feedback from a number of journalists and customers that the first version of our financing product wasn’t quite right,” said Tesla Co-founder & CEO Elon Musk. “They were right, so we are fixing it and, moreover, upping the ante by providing the best resale value guarantee in the automotive industry. The Model S is rated by Motor Trend, Automobile Magazine and many others as the best car of 2013, so it should naturally therefore have the highest resale value.”

In addition, our financing partners have agreed to provide longer term loans that reduce the monthly payment considerably. Those who buy the Model S electric car for personal use will now pay a monthly rate of $580 taking only gasoline savings into account. When purchased via a business, assuming 70% of miles are for business use, the depreciation benefit further reduces the effective monthly cost of owning a Model S down to $315.

For those in careers that have a significant cost of time, such as doctors, lawyers, consultants and executives, the Tesla financial calculator makes it easy to factor in the value of time saved by being able to use the carpool lane or avoid trips to the gas station. However, this is now selected off by default and the above numbers do not include any consideration of time saved.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk 2