Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make "exciting announcement on Thursday" (correction Tuesday)

What will Elon's "exciting announcement" be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to disagree. This is going to be something from Business Elon, not Engineer Elon.

Agree and the conference call information would tend to support this.

PALO ALTO, Calif.-- Tesla Motors, Inc. will hold a conference call on April 2, 2013 at 2:00pm Pacific Standard Time (5:00pm Eastern Standard Time) for media, analysts and investors to make an announcement. Following remarks from Elon Musk, Tesla Motors co-founder and CEO, media and analysts are invited to participate in a question and answer session.

This probably doesn't have anything to do with tomorrow's announcement, but here's another cryptic tweet: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/318888865668681728

Whoa! That fits the bill if he announces swappable battery packs coming online soon! That could be more impactful than today's announcement and would be putting money where his mouth is (EVs being superior to ICEs and just as practical). I'm betting o. This now based on that tweet.

Whoa! That fits the bill if he announces swappable battery packs coming online soon! That could be more impactful than today's announcement and would be putting money where his mouth is (EVs being superior to ICEs and just as practical). I'm betting o. This now based on that tweet.

Yes, but is this doable? Would the change out of the battery be automated? What if this automation breaks? How would they afford to service the batteries? What if you got left with defective batteries post-swap?

I don't know, I would be worried about swapping batteries when taking long trips.

Though I've had doubts about battery swapping fitting their plan beyond some niche circumstances, it is interesting that today they announced 40 kwh no longer will be available. I.E., what if cars will be able to swap batteries for trips... they may have sought to avoid a shift in demand to the less profitable 40 kwh by closing it off as an option today.

This probably doesn't have anything to do with tomorrow's announcement, but here's another cryptic tweet: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/318888865668681728

It is quite entertaining how he gets so excited and cannot keep from tweeting. Gotta love the passion!

I'm guessing he will sell his options on the open market and used funds generated to completely accelerate the deployment of automated battery swap stations in conjunction with supercharger network expansion. Focus on building Model S for all of 2013, increase production capability then add Model X to the line-up. Don't expect to see any $ put towards Model X and Gen3 production.

- - - Updated - - -

Though I've had doubts about battery swapping fitting their plan beyond some niche circumstances, it is interesting that today they announced 40 kwh no longer will be available. I.E., what if cars will be able to swap batteries for trips... they may have sought to avoid a shift in demand to the less profitable 40 kwh by closing it off as an option today.

Totally agree w/ the elimination of the lower tier as there would be a lesser incentive to choose larger batteries. Also note that since those cars were equipped with the 60 kwh there is only 2 battery types needed at swapping stations....

He did joke about that once. I can't see that as being at all doable, and he certainly doesn't have the time to take on another company.
There was talk about Tesla building their own aluminum foundry. The statement was something like "You know Tesla is building their own foundry?" The context was all the aluminum Tesla uses (as well as SpaceX). I wouldn't want to get someone in trouble if that was privileged info so I won't say where I heard it, but they were in a better position to know than the general public. It wasn't clear to me if it was just a possibility being considered or actually in development.

Swapping batteries, or a "large battery" for trips makes zero sense. It completely goes against the spirit of the supercharger network. I don't have a clue what the announcement would be tomorrow, but I would be completely blown away (in a negative way) if it was something as lame as swapping batteries.

The only two things that makes sense in my mind is:
1) Elon accelerating the supercharger network release by putting out his own capital.

2) Elon accelerating the number of cars produced by expanding the factory with his own capital.

Nothing else really makes sense from either an SEC standpoint, using his own money, or feasible for him to afford to do. Buying a bunch of Model S's for something is a good guess, but I hardly would deem it even close to being better than announcing profitability.

I'm not ruling out swapping batteries, though not the "Better Place"-model.

I think it would be kind of awesome to be able to rent a 300 kWh lithium-air battery for the weekend! This wouldn't replace the superchargers, merely supplement them, as there will always be places where there are no superchargers.

Did anybody notice the website just went down?
Tesla Down.png

Could be nothing. Could be removing references to the 40 kWh. Or could be preparing for a big unveil - which would mean we'll see it before 2PM tomorrow.

i Think, Elon will announce to delay Model-X in favour for the Gen-III, starting mass-production in 2015 with target of 500.000/year by 2017
Such a delay is completely unnecessary. Gen III is held back by battery weight and price and nothing else.
Model X was delayed because of Model S production issues. They don't want to repeat Model S child diseases.