Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make "exciting announcement on Thursday" (correction Tuesday)

What will Elon's "exciting announcement" be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which is 100% electric transport with exception of rockets. Maybe they will announce EV pickup - Model T?

7614675364_fffa26e8d1_o.jpg

60kWh at the price of 40kWh Model S.
With supercharging and battery replacement options and lets say UPS on board, this could work and it WOULD be big.

I hope that the announcement is related to technology development (battery technology, or Supercharger technology, or Hyperloop technology, or electric airplanes, etc.)

But I am afraid it will be more related to financial/economical/market/stocks aspects.

By the way, I like the picture of the pickup.

The hyperloop would really be "putting his money where his mouth is", but I really don't see how it is relevant to tesla. I just hope it isn't battery swapping. That would be way expensive, but it could be something users would have to pay for

Although I want to see a combined hyperloop/supercharger deployment as much as the next guy, it seems pretty obvious that it has to be something that increases Elon's or Tesla's risk but reinforces the electric car business case.

Such as:

-Battery buy-back guarantee

-Tesla Leasing plan

-"Half and half": Buy the car, rent the battery

or possibly some kind of x-prize, related to electric transportation and sponsored by Tesla/Elon.

Battery swapping is a direct competition to superchargers. Now that they've committed to supercharges, battery swapping is out of the question for general public.

Hyperloop is plausible, rocket engineers would come handy and Elon has them. I doubt he has enough $ to make it happen though.
I think he is investing into some battery business with novel chemistries.

Although I want to see a combined hyperloop/supercharger deployment as much as the next guy, it seems pretty obvious that it has to be something that increases Elon's or Tesla's risk but reinforces the electric car business case.

Such as:

-Battery buy-back guarantee

-Tesla Leasing plan

-"Half and half": Buy the car, rent the battery

or possibly some kind of x-prize, related to electric transportation and sponsored by Tesla/Elon.

This has me thinking. Perhaps a battery degradation guarantee. Like your 85kWh pack will have 80% of it's capacity after 8 years 160,000 miles.

Did anybody notice the website just went down?
Could be nothing. Could be removing references to the 40 kWh. Or could be preparing for a big unveil - which would mean we'll see it before 2PM tomorrow.

I was told this would be happening to remove the 40kWh ordering. Maybe the announcement info is being added as well.

Did anybody notice the website just went down?
View attachment 19425

Could be nothing. Could be removing references to the 40 kWh. Or could be preparing for a big unveil - which would mean we'll see it before 2PM tomorrow.

I saw this just as I was demoing the Roadster and showing off the S in fact :) . It seems to have been nothing... there are still references to the 40kWh battery up there.

On March 29th, Project 100 launched, and purchased 100 Model S's for a test car share project in Las Vegas. Here's the announcement:

http://goproject100.com/

And more here:

http://tech.co/downtown-project-100-vegas-startup-buys-100-teslas-2013-04

If this isn't Elon's big news, then it's pretty big regardless - since the cars were just ordered, and not delivered, they didn't even count towards Q1's profitability!!

I'd be surprised as he said he would put his money where his mouth is, so unless hes paying for those Model S's himself....

If that's the news I'd be a little disappointed!

- - - Updated - - -

How do we listen to this afternoon's conference call?

http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/media-advisory-journalists-analysts-and-investors