Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make "exciting announcement on Thursday" (correction Tuesday)

What will Elon's "exciting announcement" be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per a follow up tweet. The announcement was pushed back:
@elonmusk

"Slight change of date to ensure no end of quarter distractions -- will be Tues next week."

The announcement turns out to be a lease program:
Tesla Unveils Revolutionary New Finance Product | Press Releases | Tesla Motors

Summarize the best guesses for the announcement below:

• Tesla reveals gen3 concept
  • Official announcement of gen3 (however no concept car yet)
  • More Superchargers to be installed.
  • Tesla buys Fisker.
  • Separate Model S production to be set up in Europe.
  • Tesla/Elon to set up financing for the Model S.
  • Free solar for all Model S owners and all future Tesla car customers
  • Tesla to use "Phinergy" 1,000 mile Aluminum-Air battery in 2017/Gen3
  • Tesla to issue stock buy-back program to enhance shareholder value/eventually take TSLA private
  • Elon planning to be the first CEO to circle Mars with upcoming 2017 launch window
  • Google and Tesla to work together on a self driving electric car
  • Apple and Tesla to work on or develop the "iCar" (or Apple to invest heavily/buy Tesla, solving Teslas cash flow issues)
  • New battery packs/ Model S variants
  • Elon to literally "eat" his fortune
  • Tesla and SolarCity merge. Elon buys huge stake in new company.
  • Announcement of the tech tweeted as "some really cool tech that we can't talk about yet".
  • Tesla Model S leasing program.
  • Completion of 10,000th Model S production vehicle and exercise of 6.7M shares of stock.
  • EM: "in the future, all modes of transport will be electric - with the ironic exception of rockets". Elon will provide funding for new Tesla daughter that heads into electric aircraft development.
  • Elon repaying the DOE loan from his pocket
  • Teslamotors building the trucks that will transport SpaceX rockets
  • Elon to purchase Uber and convert the entire fleet to Model S sedans
  • Elon to fund development of a Solar Powerplant backed up with Tesla batteries.
  • Tesla will buy a shuttered automobile assembly plant in Europe for future production of Gen3
  • Expansion of Supercharging network and licensing its usage to other EV companies
  • Elon starts a new company to finance Tesla automobiles
  • Tesla reveals Model S with 110+kWh battery pack option

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that he refers to his money, not the company's. Rather than a buyout, my best guess is he's investing a bunch more cash in the company to help fund its next efforts (superchargers, model X, whathaveyou). This is after the company paid back its loans early. If true, it means he'd rather own more equity than let the government fund the effort at an interest rate. Pretty savvy as long as his bet that Tesla succeeds wins (which like most on here, I strongly suspect he will win this bet).

Other funny thing about the way he says this is that Elon has always put his money where his mouth is. He made huge personal investments in getting SpaceX going and keeping it and Tesla going along, to the point of running out of cash. (Which is way different than being broke BTW especially with all of his equity in these companies, but still pretty amazing.)

Other funny thing about the way he says this is that Elon has always put his money where his mouth is. He made huge personal investments in getting SpaceX going and keeping it and Tesla going along, to the point of running out of cash. (Which is way different than being broke BTW especially with all of his equity in these companies, but still pretty amazing.)

I often look at the insider trading of TSLA, and it always is people exercise and then sell it off right away. A few sales here and there. And then there is Elon, always seemingly buying more. And I would venture that he knows something that we don't.

Due to the "money where my mouth is" comment, I would also think TSLA could go private. If I remember right Elon mentioned that the company decided to go public because it was a more viable option at the time vs raising cash privately. (Someone please gently correct me if I'm off-base there!)

Maybe Elon is going to pay off the government loan all by himself, although that seems very unlikely. :tongue:

If it wasn't for Model X being delayed I'd say it's something to do with a sooner-than-anticipated BlueStar announcement (or possible reveal).

Things I'm not expecting it to be:
- A major expansion of stores or superchargers.
- Another vehicle (i.e. a truck).

It could be something like a stock buy back program, if they find they have extra cash, this is sometimes done to enhance shareholder value. It would also make taking TSLA private easier down the road (fewer shares availble), I doubt they would take TSLA private right now, but I think the heavy manipulation of the stock does weigh on Elon, and I'm betting he'd like to put a stop to it or slow it down.

Edit: BTW, just checked twitter, Elon is now using his own picture (used to be one of his kids), he's holding one of those "Woot Monkeys", the caption is "Show me the Monkey" :)

Last edited:
Another vehicle (i.e. a truck).

Funny thing. I was talking to a guy in traffic last Friday. He was all about a Tesla truck, he was driving a 6 year old Dodge Ram 1500. And driving to work this morning I was behind a caravan of about 8 Georgia Power pickups (GM/Chevy I think). I used to think an electric truck was a small market vehicle, and I still do for private sales.

But I imagine that EVERY POWER COMPANY in the USA (and Probably Canada) would replace all their ICE pickups with an electric version if there was a viable option. Power companies should be 100% behind electric vehicles, the load leveling, and potential sales, ability of charging cars at night would be enormous boom for them.

Not to mention about 100% of the electricians I work with thinking an Electric truck would be a sweet ride, just at the right price. But honestly a lot of them already have pretty expensive trucks, and the fuel that they consume sure is expensive.