Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make gas-electric car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla had made a hybrid, the competition with Fisker would be intense - who can engineer a better car and who can design a better car. As it is, the direct comparisons are not super meaningful ( to me ) because you have who to compare the capabilities of the technology choice ( pure BEV vs serial hybrid ) before you can focus on who executed best.

Since I believe in the fundamental superiority of BEV to serial hybrid, there is no point in comparing further.

Since I believe in the fundamental superiority of BEV to serial hybrid, there is no point in comparing further.

ditto... But can you imagine the state we'd be in without Tesla? Who else is producing EVs with this sort of range? Even the base S is more than anything on the market (though the rumblings around here seem to suggest Infiniti might be shooting for higher marks). If Tesla didn't exist, I don't think I could get excited about an EV.

I think that may be what the majority of the population is feeling as well. They hear about the volts and the leafs and think: "those things are impractical, and will be for years to come" -- not knowing that...

A new challenger has appeared!

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the big Deloitte study, even though 77% of Americans drive less than 50 miles per workday, only 3% are satisfied with an EV that delivers 50 miles in range. 77% of those surveyed want 200 miles or more of range.

Well, everything OK with freedom and like but, hey - the freedom of the US people to use up 20% of global oil resources and to wage war all around the globe can hardly be justified by "consumer satisfaction". That's not a constitutional right. What's the best way to change public perception of the problem? Make some really nice EVS that only a stubborn mind can hate, then wait for it to trickle down... blech.

The good news is that 14 million vehicles are sold in the US in a typical year. If 23% are happy with current capability EVs, thats 3.22 million. If 3% of the people who buy vehicles are highly motivated to buy an EV, thats 420,000 vehicles. Nissan can supply maybe 100,000 Leafs, that still leaves a lot of room for Tesla.
The total market for Audi,BMW,Mercedes,Volvo,Land Rover,Porsche,etc ( and all other luxury brands I noticed but excluding Cadillac,Lexus,Infiniti,Acura because their sales are not broken out from their parent companies ) is about 900 thousand vehicles per year. Tesla only needs a little over 2% of that to sell 20,000 vehicles per year.

The total market for Audi,BMW,Mercedes,Volvo,Land Rover,Porsche,etc ( and all other luxury brands I noticed but excluding Cadillac,Lexus,Infiniti,Acura because their sales are not broken out from their parent companies ) is about 900 thousand vehicles per year. Tesla only needs a little over 2% of that to sell 20,000 vehicles per year.

When you say "total market" I don't know if you mean in the United States or around the globe? Worldwide I think they sell 1.2 or 1.6 million vehicles with a price tag of $50,000 or more. And there are a lot of people on this website that have never bought a $50,000 car before that want to buy the Model S.

The only obstacle standing in the way of Tesla selling 50,000+ cars a year is a lack of awareness. Once people realize that the Model S exists and they understand all the unique benefits then it's off to the races. The biggest thing harming Tesla at this point is the fact that competing hybrids and EVs are so much less attractive people think they already know they don't want an EV.

Yeah sorry I meant total market in the US.
I am just trying to establish that even if a tiny fraction of consumers are interested in EVs ( real EVs ), and the majority turn up their noses - that demand will dramatically outstrip supply.
The people who doubt the utility of EVs can spend a few more years wasting hundreds of dollars per month on gasoline, while the tiny minority of EV owners prove that they work.

When I saw the huge "frunk", why not add a swappable little generator as range extender, just strong enough to run the car at 20miles/h and provide enough to keep the car warm at freezing temperature. I think 3kW electric and 6-8kW thermic would be enough. Honda provides a generator with this numbers with only 35kg on weight?

Last edited:
When I saw the huge "frung", why not add a swappable little generator as range extender, just strong enough to run the car at 20miles/h and provide enough to keep the car warm at freezing temperature. I think 3kW electric and 6-8kW thermic would be enough. Honda provides a generator with this numbers with only 35kg on weight?
Wouldn't that require some heavy rework to figure out how to vent the generator exhaust?

Rather than dealing with potential exhaust issues I would prefer a trailer, if the need arises. Can you imagine occupants dying from exhaust fumes in a Model S because they installed a small ICE engine in the frunk with inadequate venting?