Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to make house calls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mpt

Electrics are back
Supporting Member
AP news is reporting on Tesla's decision to charge by the mile for house calls; the one thing I hate about car ownership; treking to the dealer for maintainance; for me in the NY metro area I'm looking at $100 to have them come to me or, take a day off work for a three hour round trip (traffic permiting) on NYC roads!.. Sign me up!

"You know how there's a Chevy dealer on every block or strip mall? We don't intend to have a footprint like this," spokeswoman Rachel Konrad said.

The Associated Press: Paging Dr. Tesla? Automaker to make house calls

Discussed in "Rural Service" Topic http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tesla-motors/2967-rural-service.html?highlight=house+calls#post36902

Last edited:
How cool would it be if they used the Magnum

display_data.php
2642615338_85f78fda76.jpg

"You know how there's a Chevy dealer on every block or strip mall? We don't intend to have a footprint like this," spokeswoman Rachel Konrad said.

I understand Tesla's predicament here, but I don't understand how Tesla's choice to cut costs by developing a sparse grid of service centers, then giving their customers the choice of paying for that by either ponying up per-mile or enduring the cost and inconvenience of doing the transportation themselves is going to endear them to customers.

Every time our Roadster has needed service, it's been because of a defect in the car: our key fobs didn't work, our passenger-side headlamp cover had a defect, the passenger door was sagging and rubbing, the hood was misaligned and rubbing.

I'm lucky that we live close to a service center, but if I were a customer far away from service I'd be pretty unhappy if I had a pay for the sparse service center network for each of these problems.

It's nice they are least offering a choice, and we all knew what were getting into, but it doesn't strike me as a good long-term strategy nor is it taking "the auto service experience to a new level."

Wait. Surely that per mile charge is only for out of warranty repairs, right?

When Cathy and I put down our deposit in November, 2006, there was an $8,000 "out of area" charge for anyone more than 100 miles from the five announced store locations. Tesla eventually changed that policy to each owner being responsible for transportation of their Roadster to the nearest Tesla service facility.

From the article, there's this:

The new service plan will be standard for all new Tesla vehicles and current owners will have their warranties updated so they are covered by the new plan, Konrad said.

On the other hand, I know the Seattle store service manager has traveled all over multiple states to fix problems, presumably without charging for warranty work.

So, it's actually an interesting question: is the new service an option for out-of-warranty work or a statement that warranty work outside of the service areas will come with a charge?

Last edited:
There's another thread on this somewhere. And that's fine for you metro based folks. But us rural folks that's one hell of a cost to come to us...about $900 from Chicago to my house and back. I'll tow it up on my own trailer for that thanks.

You're right. That's a lot.
They do mention "stand alone service centers". Hopefully one will be slated for St. Louis or KC. I'd like to hear how it actually works for you when you get your S.
Rob

Since the anouncement, I've had a minor issue with the trunk lid not opening on the first push of the button; I received a call offering to visit; I actually turned it down as it sounded as though it'd require a special visit and as I'm having the door sills changed some time soon I reasoned that it'd be 'greener' to combine the visits.

There's been no talk of a charge and I wouldn't expect one. I think it's safe to assume the best in this case. We'll see.

The dollar per mile charge does apply to warranty work.

As much as I like my Tesla to the point of never wanting to use my other vehicles, this type customer treatment will not earn them any points.

Quite a contrast to my experience with my Lexus RX-400h were a new loaner vehicle was brought to my office and exchanged for mine and then exchanged back again the next day. All told taking a minute or so of my time to sign a paper and exchange keys, at zero cost to me and in addition my car was cleaned inside, washed and the gas tank was filled!