Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to offer 1-year free supercharging for deliveries 12/12-12/31 in North American

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish they would stop the free supercharging thing. It clogs superchargers with people that refuse to charge at home. They end up using superchargers for more than they are for.

I am sure all the people with free will disagree with me.

Reactions: Tz00
I wish they would stop the free supercharging thing. It clogs superchargers with people that refuse to charge at home. They end up using superchargers for more than they are for.

I have no idea how you can make statement like that? How can you make such a claim? Do you pull into a supercharger location and go to each stall and ask that person if he has free supercharging? Or are you (most likely) just making an assumption?

It also encourages people to use superchargers more so when the freebie runs out they may co tinue to do so. Or maybe they find its easier to just charge at home and not use superchargers that much. Plus many people would love to go on a road trip with their brand new car.

Reactions: msm859
I got mine yesterday and it only shows the free 1000 supercharger miles i got from the referral
The free supercharging would be added in January, but It depends on the model you've got also. Model 3 long range and performance, model Y for sure, but not sure about the Model 3 SR+. SR+ is probably the most sold cars, in terms of volumes, I would not be surprised if this promotion doesn't include SR+.

The free supercharging would be added in January, but It depends on the model you've got also. Model 3 long range and performance, model Y for sure, but not sure about the Model 3 SR+. SR+ is probably the most sold cars, in terms of volumes, I would not be surprised if this promotion doesn't include SR+.

Here is a post from another Canadian message board.

My rep just called me after I picked up SR+ yesterday and said I qualify for free supercharging miles for a year. I think it'll be added January.

What are the chances it started yesterday and I qualified lol. Tesla and their surprises is something I need to get used to?

Reactions: dmd2005

I’m not convinced of your assumption. I had 7,500 km of free charging and when they expired a year later I still had about one-half of the credits.

I do think it would be nice if Tesla offered an alternative bonus of a wall connector instead. It would have to be an alternative as some buyers could not use home charging, but it might encourage home charging where possible.

Reactions: msm859

Correct, I disagree. I have lifetime free on the X I purchased last year. I could also argue this will force Tesla to speed up the addition of more superchargers - which they appear to be doing a pretty good job - at least in California. Actually, the problem they may run into in the future (as someone pointed out) will be with X and S owners who have lifetime free supercharging holding off on upgrades. And it may not even be the cost per se, but people who spend a lot of money on things like to get special perks. People who fly first class or business class like that they get "free" food and drinks. Of course when you look at the price difference in tickets one could "successfully" argue they are not free. But those perks sell and for the company they make far more money then the costs. I suspect Tesla would make more money on the S and X charging a couple thousand more and offering free supercharging.

Reactions: akidesir
I remember the early adopter Model S’s with 40 kW (and possibly 60 kWh) sized batteries did not have fast charging enabled and was a $2K Cdn option. When fast charging was enabled it included the free Supercharging.

I think it would be a good option for Tesla to offer a $2K lifetime Supercharging fee for people such as condo owners who can’t get Level 2 charging in their buildings (a friend had a quote of $20K to install a level 2 charger through his strata). Most people won’t ever use $2K worth of Supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: I ASH I