Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to offer bird’s eye view

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's going to be a render using the extra information in the FSD rewrite, not a camera birds eye view (the Tesla doesn't have the correct cameras for that). The keyword there is vector space. This is not what other cars have, for better or worse.

Elon also said coming with FSD (ie. the rewrite) not that it would be part of the FSD package.. they may make it such to add value but that's by no means certain and I doubt they've even decided whether to do that yet.

There's even an early version of it in the summon that the USA has apparently, although for obvious reasons I've never seen it.

That has pros and cons.. the pro is it can be augmented with things like distance information and not include irrelevant details. The con is it'll only see what the car recognises, so might not be too wise to rely on it in the early days.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: timpharrison
Plenty cars currently, of very similar price range, are giving birds eye view parking camera as standard kit. If not, paying a relatively small upgrade fee. Certainly not having to lay out 8k for FSD, that you may not need anyway!
Agreed, not cool Elon, if this is the case.

Reactions: cusetownusa
People say FSD isn’t worth the money, so when there’s talk of adding a feature to it that might make it more attractive that’s out of order? o_O

I dont think this is the case. Wether FSD is worth it or not at a price point is down to the individual. Its a simple discussion that the birds eye feature will only be part of the FSD package and not a standard feature and i get it.

True that there are other cars that have this at this price bracket, if not cheaper and its just an evolution of the visuals that only benefit us when doing a manual manoeuvre ie. mostly parking hence it only being an attachment to FSD does not really make most sense.

The 2021 ipace model comes with this (avail in a couple weeks from our local dealership) its their upgrade from 2020 model - its called 360 cameras by them - but seems the same thing. I looked at the electrotek article and the pictures don't look anything like a tesla interface - very dated 1980's pale blue box at top stating 'rear' seemed a bit weird to me for tesla (is that just me?)

What does a parking camera have to do with self driving?

It worries me this signals the end of decent software updates for lowly non subscribers. The good stuff will be reserved for fsd package even if the feature has little to do with FSD...

• Funny
Reactions: pow216